Half term ferry to Amsterdam?

(11 Posts)

I've been on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry a few times.
Cabins small but clean and have bathroom and 4 bunks.
The catering is very expensive but good.

NellyJob Tue 18-Sep-12 10:58:57

definitely bring a picnic!!!

Bullincathkidston Tue 18-Sep-12 10:56:54

Newcastle to Amsterdam seems a bargain. From here (Yorkshire) I couldn't get us to London and back for the same price.

I'm just wondering about the price of things on the ferry. That's why I'm thinking picnic. smile

NellyJob Tue 18-Sep-12 10:49:42

Even my aging dad and his wife use it...they love it....and the cabins are great...crispy sheets etc.
you have given me the idea now!

Bullincathkidston Tue 18-Sep-12 10:49:30

Thank you, for the time that we will be there, I think wondering round and lunch would kill the time anyway.

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit giddy about it now smile

AliceHurled Tue 18-Sep-12 10:47:35

My ferry knowledge is out of date by a few years so good to hear that.

NellyJob Tue 18-Sep-12 10:45:41

sorry my last sentence was a bit random. The ferry is nothing like what it used to be. And the areas to avoid in the city centre are very compact.

NellyJob Tue 18-Sep-12 10:44:19

Amsterdam is a fab place to take kids, you have a small and walkable and interesting city centre, tram rides, great cafes, canal trips, vondel park, the rembrandt museum, the flea market, (rembrandtsplein i think but not sure)
Personally i would give Ann Franks house a miss, it's hugely expensive and theres a long queue, and it seems a bit ...holocaust industry iykwim
The overnight ferry is very civilised as you have to book a cabin, no choice.
Things have changed alot on that route in recent years, and the areas to avoid are pretty compact........

Bullincathkidston Tue 18-Sep-12 10:42:02

Yes it is what I meant.

And it is an over night one, this is what worries me. I might just go for it if nothing else it will be an experience.

Thank you

AliceHurled Tue 18-Sep-12 10:37:57

You can avoid the red light district if that's what you mean

Is the ferry overnight? If it is they can be 'party ferries' but not too bad.

Amsterdam is nice.

Bullincathkidston Tue 18-Sep-12 10:35:59

Hi looking for some advise. Been looking to find a way to fill October half term for DD and I (not strictly a weekend break but as near as)

Have stumbled across a 3 day trip to Amsterdam, on the ferry only 10 hours ish in Amsterdam. Am I bonkers to consider it? I thought we could go to the Ann frank museum. Will DD's 11 eyes pop out of her head?

Does anybody know if I could take a picnic on the ferry to eat in our cabin? Maybe a bottle of vino or 3 for DP and I??

Any words of wisdom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now