City hotel weekend break for 3 generations

(9 Posts)
Wickedwaterwitch Mon 13-Aug-12 20:42:51

And Cabot Circus / cinemas are 5 minutes walk. The only downside is parking, they have about 6 spaces outside which are first come first served. But there is a large NCP right opposite the hotel so as long as you know you might have to go round the one way system to park there it's fine. We've generally been really lucky and managed to park though by keeping an eagle eye on those HDV spaces and then leaping into action.

Wickedwaterwitch Mon 13-Aug-12 20:41:07

Loads to do for children in Bristol too. The docks are nearby and Brandon Hill and The Georgian House and Bristol zoo (not that near but 10 minutes in a cab).

And HDV is smart enough that MIL will feel looked after but you won't need a second mortgage to get 2 connecting rooms.

Wickedwaterwitch Mon 13-Aug-12 20:39:28

Hotel du vin in Bristol? It's very nice, they have connecting rooms, near a theatre (Old Vic in King St) and shopping (Cabot Circus). It's a lovely building, I've been several times with and without children and would recommend it.

elastamum Mon 13-Aug-12 19:42:48

How about warwick. The castle is fun for adults and children. Oxford is also nice or Brighton or try the Royal Bath hotel at bournmouth which has a spa, pool and is right on the sea front within walking distance of the pier and aquarium

Having thought about it, I think we'd need to go for two nights wherever we go.

Am having huge problems finding a nice hotel in Bath that actually has availability and which doesn't require second mortgage to finance it. May have to have a total re-think.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Doesn't necessarily need to be a city (and Roman connection not neccessary) but does need to have good shopping plus something to interest 3 & 7 yo boys and also ideally a theatre.

ColourMeWithChaos Mon 13-Aug-12 13:49:23

Most Bath hotels insist on 2 nights at the weekend I think.

Oxford maybe? Lots to do.

Winchester is lovely too.

Roman wise - Colchester, Canterbury, St Albans?

Wickedwaterwitch Mon 13-Aug-12 13:42:08

http://www.theoldebell.co.uk/

Ah just seen you've said city so maybe not the olde bell, it's country.

Remeber most Bath hotels insist on 2 nights at the weekend, which is aright pita

Wickedwaterwitch Mon 13-Aug-12 13:39:36

The Olde Bell in Hurley is fab IMO and just what you're looking for. It's child friendly but not so much that it's over run, it's adult too with lots of couples and mixed age groups.

Massive beautiful garden, good restaurant, great service and picturesque setting. Not extortionately expensive either and they have various private rooms I think.

I've been 3 times since discovering it in June.

It's MIL's 70th birthday at the end of October and I thought it would be nice for DH, DSs (7 & 3) and me to take her to a hotel for a night away.

We're based in London so I'm looking for somewhere up to about 2 hours away. I'd like a hotel posh enough that MIL feels she's being spoiled but also one where I won't feel like the children need to walk on eggshells.

I was possibly thinking about Bath (she'd love the shopping and DSs are very interested in all things Roman but would love to hear other suggestions or recommendations for hotels in Bath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now