Why is makeup so much more for the bride?

(22 Posts)
TutanKaDashian Thu 10-Nov-16 16:09:35

I mean seriously?? Found this make up artist I love. But seriously, £250 for hair and makeup for the bride and only £90 for the bridesmaids. The trial is £150! Do they do a shoddy job on the bridesmaids or something??!!

scaredofthecity Thu 10-Nov-16 16:14:05

The word wedding literally means that people charge 3x as much, because they can and people will pay it.
Instead I bought the kit to do my hair and makeup myself. Probs didn't cost me that much less but I've used it loads since. I practiced loads and YouTube was my friend.

JinkxMonsoon Thu 10-Nov-16 16:14:26

Nope.

Just because people think "wedding" means they can charge what they like.

Bet if you wanted your make up done for some other event, it would cost a tiny fraction of that sum.

But... £150 for a TRIAL? No way would I agree to that. That is outrageous. The whole thing is outrageous!

I did my own make up on my wedding day.

GreenDaisies Thu 10-Nov-16 16:17:33

I refused to use one company when the bridesmaids were £25, the bride was £50. I asked what was different about the bridal make up and it was just because it was on the bride. Exactly the same amount of time, same products but double the price. I had a heated discussion with the beautician but she couldn't see my point so I went elsewhere.

Floggingmolly Thu 10-Nov-16 16:20:30

Surely the "trial" is just that; an audition for the makeup artist to see if she can do what you want? Who pays for that? confused

TutanKaDashian Thu 10-Nov-16 16:22:52

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's batshit crazy. It's the disparity in price that makes me so cross rather than the actual price. Just because I'm in a white dress why should I pay 3x more. For that price, she should stay all day to powder my nose!!

Somerville Thu 10-Nov-16 16:22:58

Exactly; add wedding or bride onto anything and it becomes more expensive.

There are lots of tricks to get around it. I got quotes from caterers for a 'celebration'. After I chose the one I wanted to go with they tried to add 20% 'because it's a wedding' but their own T&C stopped them.

Do you really need pro make up? I do my own make up every other day if the year and will do so on my wedding day. But if you really want to go ahead at least get some other quotes.

PurpleCrazyHorse Thu 10-Nov-16 16:29:01

Try booking a makeup lesson to get some tips on doing your own makeup. If you're going to pay a load of money, maybe consider a lesson and some new makeup. The skills will last much longer than your wedding day.

But YANBU to be shocked at the price increase for brides.

Parsley1234 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:33:12

From the other side - a beauty therapist. I used to do weddings and no longer do because some brides are a nightmare they are demanding rude entitled and tricky. The reason wedding makeup attracts such a premium is because of that reason - the other reason is that the bride needs to look amazing all day and the photos and wedding will last a lifetime (hopefully). The reason there is a trial is to get the look the bride wants exactly - the trial could last 3/4 hours. I used to charge a reasonable rate but after brides changing their mind on the day of their look, turning up wanting to look like J-Lo without a trial, adding in other people when one more won't hurt, etc etc I put my prices up and stopped altogether when I was being undercut by just qualified therapists leaving them to have the hassle. Also the makeup artist will be doing only one wedding that day and she should be there until the photos are finished. If I was getting married I would want a professional doing my makeup to ensure I looked my best all day similar to any profession you pay for the best you can

Parsley1234 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:34:53

Also as an after thought you can get makeup tutorials on you tube now or go to any make up department to get tips but good makeup application is an art and not everyone can do it although it is defibateky easier to learn now

GreenDaisies Thu 10-Nov-16 16:37:01

parsley if you spent the same amount of time on a bride as the bridesmaids, or another client who was going to a ball would you charge the same?

I've never heard of any make up artist actually staying around for photos.

GreatPointIAgreeWithYouTotally Thu 10-Nov-16 16:40:05

I'd just do your own make up and save all that money for a lovely 1st anniversary weekend away.

Neverknowing Thu 10-Nov-16 16:43:12

It's because you sell the service as a package! The bridesmaids get it cheaper because of the bride rather than you paying more because you're the bride? I'm a makeup artist and I always hate this question, we charge less for your bridesmaids to make it more affordable as you're bringing more people, like when you get money off for buying more products smile

Parsley1234 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:45:32

I would charge more for a bride because she will take the longest the bridesmaids will not take as long and for a ball again not so long. Also I would expect to do the trial in the salon and to travel to do the makeup on the day for the bride and others, I would have waited for the photos to be completed before the wedding. I would also ensure the bride had all the makeup she needed to touch up after I left to be collected at a later date

8DaysAWeek Thu 10-Nov-16 16:51:17

Neverknowing that makes sense. I also think my MUA spent more time on me than the others too.

As for paying for a trial, I went to my trial and my partner had to phone me 3 hours later to make sure I was ok because it took so long! Definitely worth paying for. Means both of you know exactly what look/products to use on the day, and I couldn't expect someone to spend that amount of time on me without paying them for it.

toffeeboffin Thu 10-Nov-16 16:54:24

It's called extortionate profit and they know they can make it because it's a wedding.

Same or baby stuff I.E. Nursery chair - 3 times the price of a normal chair.

Don't fall for it!

Powergower Thu 10-Nov-16 16:54:37

You should see what asian brides spend! My friend got baited last year and the beautician charged 550 for hair makeup for the bride. This was x3 for the 3 main functions and then another 100 per bridesmaid/sister/aunt/ other x 3 too. It was close to 5k. I was beyond shocked. Apparently it's the same makeup and style but just 5 x more for the bride and some brides ate up at 3am to get ready because the beauticians have multiple bookings per day. It's bonkers.

Kel1234 Thu 10-Nov-16 17:11:05

From what I've heard, they do charge a lot more for the bride. It's not fair though. My hairdresser didn't actually turn up on my wedding day, so my best friend and bridesmaid had to step in and do the best she could at very short notice (and meant I didn't have the style I'd planned). Luckily I'd gone to to my usual nail salon the day before and my eyebrows done as well. And I never wear makeup, so luckily I didn't have that worry.

Chottie Sat 03-Dec-16 05:33:35

This is a simple question to answer.

The bride's makeup takes longer.

pklme Sat 03-Dec-16 07:55:35

Presumably, it's like a cover charge. The bride's make up fee covers the admin, petrol, insurance etc. The bridesmaids are add ons. Effectively, they can only do one wedding per morning/afternoon, even if there are no bridesmaids, because of the timing. Extra bridesmaids takes time, but doesn't require an extra slot, IYSWIM.

WritersBlockk Thu 08-Dec-16 22:21:12

I did my own make up. Didn't like what the "professionals" did to me!

sweetstemcauli Mon 12-Dec-16 11:45:05

I think this might answer the question I had after the last few weddings I have attended which was why have these pretty women been so theatrically over made up? I just think don't fork out such crazy money when it would be a good thing to actually look like yourself on your wedding day. (Maybe your DP would also agree?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now