Two Weddings on the same day - which one to attend?!?!

(8 Posts)
Remm89 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:06:55

Evening All!

My Boyfriend and I have joked tonight that we seem to always be in a middle of a wedding dilemma even though we aren't even engaged!

Today we have a new issue - emailed by a close friend for a wedding in Summer 2017 with venue and names of hotels to book now for cheap rates (very considerate smile ) but we already have another wedding that weekend for close university mates! Ahhhhhh!!!

Wedding 1 (the one we were told about first) - Bride and Groom went to university with my OH. Both of us are good mates with them and have been on holidays with them and other uni mates. Wedding is near Gloucester.

Wedding 2 - Groom is an old school friend of both ours who is still good mates with my OH. Only met the Bride once but she seems nice. Wedding is near Cambridge.

I feel that we should go to Wedding 1 but my OH is really worried about upsetting Groom 2 as they have been mates since they were 10 sad

Any advice??? I don;t think we can physically attend both on the same day due to distance involved and we don't want to attend events solo……. what would you do??

JacquettaWoodville Sat 03-Sep-16 23:12:54

First, you need to accept there is no great solution, and pick the least worst.

DH and I would go solo to one wedding each. If that wasn't possible, we would go to the one already accepted - turning down an invite is less upsetting than saying yes then saying no. Your DH can explain to groom 2 that you've already been invited to a wedding and said yes, offer to have dinner with him the week before or whatever. Groom 2 would probably be disappointed that it had worked out that way, but unlikely to be devastated!

Stellabystarlight Sat 03-Sep-16 23:20:01

Wedding 1. Not only is it the right thing to do as you knew about it first but it also sounds like you are both closer to the couple and group.

But you need to reply to the groom from couple 2 immediately and say how sorry you will be to miss it but you've already committed to wedding one. And offer to take him and his wife out for dinner when they get back from honeymoon to celebrate.

I'm not too sure of the driving distances involved, but would it be out of the question for just your husband to leave wedding 2 after the meal and attend evening reception at wedding 1?

SvalbardianPenguin Sat 03-Sep-16 23:29:31

Wedding one because you've already said you are going. Either that or go solo.

Remm89 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:31:41

I think you are both right - there is no perfect answer!

Unfortunately the weddings are over 150 miles apart - probably a 3 hour drive roughly between the two venues - so I don't think the attending part of both would work logistically.

We are definitely closer to couple 1 overall and they told us about the date first….so yeah I kinda agree that does like the logical choice!

I will chat with my OH tomorrow and see if he thinks taking Groom 2 out for dinner would be a good idea smile

dodobookends Sat 03-Sep-16 23:52:03

Agree with Penguin - you need to go to the one you were invited to first.

annandale Sun 04-Sep-16 18:16:43

If they are that close and you reply quickly enough, wedding 2 might move the date? I did this for a dear friend who then didn't come anyway

WhiskersAndPaws Mon 26-Sep-16 21:18:10

Has to be couple one although it's a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now