help me negotiate catering costs

(10 Posts)
Lucylanz Thu 14-Jul-16 08:41:14

I'm getting married in a couple of months and it is now getting to crunch time with confirming food and numbers. I've really tried to be relaxed about the whole thing and just focus on having an informal day. However, I am a massive wuss and hate any confrontation and am struggling to negotiate costs.
When we booked our venue we were told the costs of wedding breakfast was £38.50 per person which seemed reasonable for where we are. To try and keep costs down, and maintain an informal feel, we asked about having a hot buffet instead and having our wedding cake (baked by a family member) as pudding. The venue have now quoted the buffet (3 main courses, sides, bread, salad) at £30 a head. My worry is that seems a lot for one course (considering 38.50 would have paid for three) and I don't want guests hungry. Do you think this is reasonable and how do I approach trying to negotiate a lower price? We are already committed to the venue and their in-house caterers so feeling very anxious in case they turn round and tell me to get lost. Any advice would be gratefully received - and negotiating tips of course! Thanks

LadyLayLay Thu 14-Jul-16 08:45:57

38 for breakfast PER PERSON? Bloody hell what are they serving, golden encrusted scrambled eggs and caviar?? shockhmm

What exactly do you get for the breakfast/buffet etc.?

I would absolutely struggle to justify that price, sorry!

Ideally you should have checked the pricing before hand and tried to haggle then

Coconutty Thu 14-Jul-16 08:54:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 14-Jul-16 08:55:54

We got married last year. I walked put of a hotel that wanted more for a self service buffet than a table served 3 course meal. Tbh the guy was just a rude asshole as well.
When looking around we did discover that often a buffet was almost as expensive as a sit down meal. I am only guessing but I suppose it's so that guests font go hungry. To cater a buffet they would probably use more say chicken for example than at a portioned out sit down meal to make sure there was enough. For a buffet you are still feeding the same number of people just with less waiting staff. So I guess food costs can be ultimately similar depending what you're having.
In the end we scrapped the buffet route despite wanting to be more informal. The hotel we did use just gave us too good a deal on a sit down meal and drinks package. I also started having doubts about queues building up and people waiting ages for food.
Sorry I'm no help am I? grin

Pootles2010 Thu 14-Jul-16 08:58:28

Wedding breakfast isn't real breakfast grin its your first meal after your wedding, normally a v formal meal. I do love the idea of cereal & toast after a wedding though!

OP it is entirely normal, if the original price was for them providing pudding, that if you now provide pudding you should pay a little bit more for your main.

It is a bit late to be negotiating, I think, sorry. I would stick with your 3 courses for 38.50.

ChicRock Thu 14-Jul-16 09:03:26

Wedding buffets are quite often as expensive as sit down meals.

They'll actually be preparing and serving the same amout or more food as you'll always get people that will pile their plates high so there needs to be more food out than if it were portioned up and served.

Of course you can try and negotiate a lower price, but I imagine in return you'll be getting less food, or food of a lower quality.

Pootles2010 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:08:52

Just noticed your buffet has option of three mains, I assume your 3 course would have just been 1? Thats probably why. We recently had a really nice lunch at a wedding where it was a hog roast, served as a carvery - so pork, then roasties, veg, yorkshires etc. Might be worth asking them if they could do a similar hot buffet with one option? Obviously with an option for veggies etc.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Thu 14-Jul-16 09:20:28

Presumably they'll prepare enough of each main for every guest to have some of each. Buffets generally have tables groaning with the amount of food.

Lucylanz Thu 14-Jul-16 12:28:25

Thanks everyone
It's just trying to balance cost with making sure everyone is fed well. I've arranged to chat to the caterers tomorrow face to face and hoping I can sort something out. Will put my most assertive face on.

LadyLayLay Thu 14-Jul-16 12:35:54

gringrin as you can tell, I've never been married.

Glad I know what a wedding breakfast is now. Although for £38 pp, I still think scrambled eggs is a good idea wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now