How much were your flowers?

(48 Posts)
stumblymonkey Wed 06-Jul-16 16:00:37

So...I have some ideas of what I want in terms of flowers. The venue is beautiful but the decoration is plain white so very much a blank canvas to decorate.

I know that the flowers I want will be expensive...but I'm wondering how expensive exactly?

My Future-MIL said to budget £7k which I disregarded as a massive over estimation but the florist I'm going to says she has a minimum order of £2k so perhaps she's not as far off the mark as I thought shock

So a bit of a dilemma...the flowers will be a big part of the decoration budget and I knew it would be more than the £500 or so average spend.

How much did you spend on flowers and have you regretted it?

Any pictures of what you got for your money?

I'm in Surrey so that doesn't help with prices either...

Borogoves Wed 06-Jul-16 16:02:21

About £250 from a London florist. Was very happy with them.

Lbee123 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:11:19

I've been quoted approx 1450 for the following

Bridal bouquet
6 bridesmaids
7 button holes
2 wrist corsages
10 centrepieces (trees with a floral base and hanging/floating tea lights with floral arrangement in branches)
A full top table arrangement (flowers going across the entire table with pillar candles and dried moss mixed in throughout)
Floral and moss table plan hire

We have used cheaper flowers to bulk it out like carnations with roses mixed in. Haven't had it yet so can't share pictures unfortunately but hope that helps.

stumblymonkey Wed 06-Jul-16 16:28:49

Thanks Lbee...it does.

I suspect I will need to seriously reign in some of my ideas if I don't want to end up with a £10k bill confusedblush

Lbee123 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:33:07

Haha I know that feeling! It's so easy to get carried away.

welshweasel Wed 06-Jul-16 16:36:16

£500 here. Bridal bouquet, 5 bridesmaids bouquets, buttonholes, flowers for all the tables and also some in the ceremony room. There were lots of flowers!

BackforGood Wed 06-Jul-16 16:52:46

I don't remember, as it was years ago, and I wasn't decorating the venue either, but if you rocked up to our Church and said "Here's £1000, do you have any flower arrangers who could do some arrangements for my venue" we'd bite your hand off.

Might be worth putting such a proposition to a local Church or WI perhaps ???

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 06-Jul-16 16:55:11

£350 for the flowers about 10 years ago in South West. A friend is a professional florist so and another friend spent a day making the arrangements. Their labour alone would have cost about £400. So about 2 or 3 time as much for commercial prices and Surrey.

willconcern Wed 06-Jul-16 17:02:09

Good lord. I am getting married this autumn. £50 for bouquet & button holes. Venue doing flowers in colours I choose.

Sorry, but £7 THOUSAND on flowers??????? That's just crazy. You could put a deposit on a house with the cost of your wedding if that's just your flowers budget.

CPtart Wed 06-Jul-16 17:03:49

Several hundred pounds, we had no bridesmaids and it was a reasonably small wedding. They were lovely but with hindsight this is the one area I wish I'd set a budget and spent less on.

RuskBaby Wed 06-Jul-16 17:06:10

Shop around! We went to the florist recommended by our venue who had also won awards - all very nice but they quoted £2k for what we found for £400 with just 1 call!

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 06-Jul-16 17:07:34

We bought flowers wholesale, lovely church ladies helped arrange the church ones and the tables I did myself with a video from you tube! Meant there were loads and we only spent about a grand (included hundreds of roses and other expensive flowers)

bombayflambe Wed 06-Jul-16 17:12:12

I spent £6.40 on seeds, £5 on string and £2.50 on floristry tape. £3.50 on backings/magnets etc for corsages

2 corsages, 12 buttonholes,
5 bridesmaid bouquets
1 wrist corsage for me.
6 table decs
one staircase garland

..it was all quite rustic.

Anonymouses Wed 06-Jul-16 17:16:21

£60 on 5 bouquets (1 big bridal one, 3 smaller bridesmaid ones and a tiny flower girl one). They are fake and we all still have them. It makes me smile when I see them. I didn't decorate anything else. My entire wedding was well under £7k though so maybe I'm not the right person to ask...

LegoCaltrops Wed 06-Jul-16 17:24:05

About £100, nearly a decade ago. Not London. Registry office wedding, we had my bouquet & one for my friend who was a witness, buttonholes for DH & his friend who was our other witness, & 3 table decorations. We had lily of the valley & lisianthus.

CharlieSierra Wed 06-Jul-16 17:35:24

We have a florist bill for £1500 for DD in a couple of weeks, that's for her bouquet, 6 bridesmaids, 2 flower girls, 10 buttonholes, table centrepieces, 1 large arrangement and pew decorations for the church. We will have other flowers around the place but I have grown loads myself and will do these. The chosen flowers are all in season and we've gone with a local florist. Shop around and if you have time see what you can do yourself if you want a lot of flowers.

minipie Wed 06-Jul-16 17:46:34

We spent a few hundred I think, definitely under £1k. Bouquet, buttonholes, simple table arrangements and a few big displays. No bridesmaids. In London.

If your venue is beautiful you REALLY don't need to spend much on flowers. And I think big table displays just get in the way anyway.

BlueberryMuffins76 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:57:58

We've spent around £1.5k for ours next month - bouquet, 3 x bridesmaids, button holes, corsages, 10 centerpieces, table arrangement, flowers for cake, petals for aisle and confetti. Flowers are in season and florist is local and very good. We had budgeted 2k for flowers so were pleased with this - it's where the main color in our day will come from and I am so excited to see how it turns out.

harrietm87 Sat 17-Sep-16 14:59:24

Spent £300 on mine from new Covent Garden market and did them myself (with help!) the day before. That was 5 big displays, about 25 small table vases, 5 buttonholes, and amazing bouquets for me and bridesmaid. If you're in London I'd highly recommend it - I saved thousands! Watch a few YouTube tutorials first for the bouquets and buttonholes - not hard but good to know what you're meant to do!

JeVoudrais Sat 24-Sep-16 15:57:26

I've spent £350.

Bridal bouquet
2 x Bridesmaid bouquets
Flower girl wand
4 x button holes
3 x larger centrepieces
8 x smaller centrepieces

Mine were/are dried. Wedding is next week and the kind of flowers I like are out of season at this time.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries Sat 24-Sep-16 16:02:51

We're having bouquets of flowers made out of book pages. Two (for me and my bridesmaid) are costing £50 from Etsy. That's all we're having though, I don't like flowers.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries Sat 24-Sep-16 16:03:55

We're having bouquets of flowers made out of book pages. Two (for me and my bridesmaid) are costing £50 from Etsy. That's all we're having though, I don't like flowers.

DownWithThisSortaThing Sat 24-Sep-16 16:04:04

I've never been married but I imagined it to be a couple of hundred quid not £7000 shock

My aunt is a flower arranger so I'll ask her what the average couple spend and report back..

Artandco Sat 24-Sep-16 16:06:29

£7000 is obsene. More than our entire wedding

Blodplod Sat 24-Sep-16 16:15:03

7k for flowers!!??? Bloody hell.. Mine cost me about £300 but I had a florist in the family who did them for nothing and bought the flowers at the flower market at the end if the days trading at knock down prices. We gave her £100 for her trouble and paid for 2 nights in a hotel for our wedding. As someone said earlier we got our church to do our flowers in the church for about £130 - they kept them on display (run up to Xmas) for about 3 weeks so got benefit out of them also. I was very lucky! We spent loads on our wedding but pleased to have saved in this area..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now