Are you planning a wedding? Tell me about it!

(26 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Fri 06-May-16 07:04:04

I'm nosy blush

I am getting married in December after Christmas, we're having a Tiffany blue/silver/grey/snowflake theme. Lots of sparkle and candles. Faux fur wraps for the bridesmaids, and I smile It's not a Christmas wedding, more of a winter theme.

We have practically booked everything, we just need to put the deposit down on the suits and book some cars to get us to the venue and we're done we got a bit wedding enthusiastic!

I'm so excited, I absolutely cannot wait to marry DP.

Tell me about your weddings!!

FluffyPersian Fri 06-May-16 16:47:13

We've just set a date, but it's not until 2018!

We just bought a house and a fluffy cat, so wanted time to save up for it.

It's rather 'different' as it's in a ruined Abbey over 200 miles North of where we live and I have always wanted a black wedding dress. We put the deposit down today and have provisionally booked the registrar - that's kinda it for the next 12 months or so, as there's no point in doing much more until 2017 smile.

Despite the 'gothic' theme - I actually want a lot of classical things...e.g. traditional wedding dress, just black - Sadly most 'black' ones seem to be punk rock / steam punk which is not my style at all - nor do I want a black cake, blood, vampire bats or skulls anywhere!

As I proposed to my fiancée with a pie, we're going to have a wedding cake (baked by my lovely friend who makes them better than any professional) and a wedding pie - baked by my fiancées Mother, so the guests can have sweet or savoury.

I've got 3 sisters and my fiancée has a sister, so I'll have 4 bridesmaids in red - but I just want to give them £150 each and ask them to find a dress in red that they feel comfortable in - I don't care about them matching, nor want to make a big deal out of it (I was a bridesmaid for a friend a few years ago and was so stressed as I felt so uncomfortable in the dress and very self concious all day). Hopefully they can wear the dress again in the future and think nice thoughts about us getting married.

Yours sounds lovely and I love the winter theme - I hope you get snow, but it doesn't disrupt anything! grin

Ilovenannyplum Fri 06-May-16 19:15:06

Oh wow that sounds amazing! Congratulations on the cat and the house and the wedding grin

Black wedding dress + ruined abbey = amazing photos!
I love the pie cake thing too, How did you propose with a pie?!?hmm

FluffyPersian Sat 07-May-16 17:45:03

I've always been a bit 'different' and never wanted to get married as didn't see the point as I'd always seen myself as independent. I told my long term partner not to propose as if I wanted to, I'd do it... (he was fine with that).

I had the toughest year of my life last year and he was so amazing - I realised that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and something 'clicked' - I can still be independent, with him.. just as his wife.

As he was born and lived 'Up North' he's fond of pies and always said his ideal woman would 'bring him pies'

So I asked his Mothers permission.... (she cried and said yes) and she baked a pie for me... and when I flew up on boxing day to spend time with him and his parents, after we exchanged presents, I said I had one more and he had to close his eyes - I then got down on one knee... with a ring in one hand and a pie in the other grin.

He's the one with the engagement ring.. not me grin.

It's so 'reverse', and it makes us both very happy!

Wyldfyre Sat 07-May-16 18:01:07

Themed on the film UP!
Balloon decorations (arches, centrepieces, pews and at the door)
DH had the grape soda badge on his button hole (BM and dads had a variation on it) I had a brooch with the house on it pinned to my bouquet.
Walked out of the church to the theme tune.
Had a "Paradise Falls" jug for decoration. Recreated the post box for cards. Guest book was drawing of the house with thumb prints as balloons and SIL made our wedding album, which is the adventure book.
Did plan on having my Labrador as Dug but TBH she's a bit nervous and would have hated it.

Wyldfyre Sat 07-May-16 18:04:58

Oh and that bit in the film where Carl and Ellie read while holding hands? We recreated that but I had a Kindle and DH had a Warhammer rule book.
I work with photographers professionally. I had the idea in my head and every snapper I talked to thought it was an awesome idea (as it encapsulated our personalities as well as the theme) DH took some persuading though.

expatinscotland Sat 07-May-16 18:06:15

Please see some of the threads running about food at weddings grin.

Wyldfyre Sat 07-May-16 18:12:41

We had steak pie!

MomofBride Sat 07-May-16 19:20:13

Ooh, can I tell you about DDs (so excited!). Village church, very pretty with bells and lych gate. Reception in the 14th century tithe barn next door, plus a chill out tent. Lots and lots of flowers. Canapés and bellinis/mimosas/st germaine fizz, beers and soft drinks with a steel band. Dinner is charcuterie platters followed by joints of roast crackling pork and rotisserie chickens served to the tables with bowls of roast new potatoes and vegetables, then a trio of puddings, lots of wine and champagne for toasts. Then a band and a DJ and later on fantastic tacos done by a friend of DS1 plus cheese and wedding cake. There will be children, no wishing well, all the bridesmaids have been invited, plus one's are included, the vegan's will be having nice food and no one has to stay in a hotel because we're local and there will be minibuses. I don't think we have committed any major faux pas but I'm keeping my eye on the wedding threads grin

MomofBride Sat 07-May-16 19:25:55

I don't know why my autocorrect wants to insist on Vegan's confused

Ilovenannyplum Sun 08-May-16 11:32:42

These all sound amazing!!!

Fluffy
The pie proposal is fab, that's so sweet. And bless his mum. So pleased for you smile

Wyld
Oh my goodness, I love Up. The beginning bit always makes me cry, that's such a cool theme. I've never seen that before, photos must be fab!

Momo
Food sounds gorgeous! I hope your daughter has a lovely day smile

And expat I know, I keep looking at them! Our ceremony is at 1.30, our meal is at 4.30 (4 courses which is part of the venue package) and then we will have an evening buffet.
Nobody is travelling far so I'm hoping they have something to eat before they leave? I guess we'll check for some "I was starved at a wedding" thread after the day and find out confused

Wyldfyre Sun 08-May-16 13:45:53

They are NannyPlum grin
This is just the reception hall. The balloons here and in our church wet in our colours but we had four bunches of brightly coloured ones for the doors at each site

Wyldfyre Sun 08-May-16 13:47:04

And the badge.

Ilovenannyplum Sun 08-May-16 14:08:16

I love this! The badge is so cute grin

Janeymoo50 Sun 08-May-16 21:21:03

I'm getting married on 28th May.

40 guests.

Marrying in a Windmill in Kent. The reception is in the adjoining barn (normally their tea room). The venue hire was £800 in total with all that money going to the windmill restoration fund.
Ceremony at 3pm. Followed by drinks/photos and then a cream tea with lots of Prosecco. Hic.

We're also having a bbq at 7pm, bar, disco and lots of cheesy 80's disco hits (our ages demand this!!).

Have ordered lovely flowers, photographer etc. Two adult bridesmaids (one of whom is walking me in) and a 5 year old flower girl.

Total cost to date - about 4.5k.

I am beyond excited, but very nervous. My dress needs altered (being done as I type) and we still can't decide on a first dance.

Oh, and we're giving our guests a small bag of flour from the windmill (being milled the week before) as favours (with a little local bread recipe attached). Many of our guests are avid bakers so think it will be fine.

Ilovenannyplum Sun 08-May-16 21:39:25

Eeeekkk, that's really close Janey! I hope you have a fabulous day smile
I'm in Kent too but in a country club not a windmill <jealous>

Lovely favours too, really nice idea. And 80's music is called for at any occasion, the cheesier the better!

Wake me up before you go go grin

Wyldfyre Mon 09-May-16 05:52:46

Janey, as its a windmill, how about You Blow Me Away by Robert Palmer?

Wyldfyre Mon 09-May-16 14:10:59

Oh, or a jive to In the Mood by Glenn MILLER

Mizuna Thu 12-May-16 17:58:50

I'm getting married in July in St Pancras station. About 40 for the ceremony, followed by champagne and canapes at the champagne bar (compulsory as they hold the wedding licence, so tough grin )

Ceremony is at midday. After the champagne, family will be having lunch at the Gilbert Scott restaurant in St P.

Then after work drinks for anyone in a pub nearby.

I have a dress but I need shoes, I want a bright orange/red/fuschia but not too high a heel - this is my current issue.

There's a lot of other stress in our lives atm but I am intensely excited whenever I get to think about it.

Still a lot to do e.g. what vows? Music? Readings?

(there is a long backstory to this wedding, but to summarise it is the absolute dream come true for me after many years of unhappiness)

maggiethemagpie Sun 15-May-16 23:05:35

I just had my wedding. We booked an elegant but informal boutique hotel exclusively, and had around 100 guests (70 adults/30 children). It was a lovely day. Ceremony followed by fizz and canapes with a barbeque buffet at 4 pm. I didn't have bridesmaids but one friend played the cello and another did a reading. As there were loads of kids (including my own two) it was very child-friendly, we had a playbus come after the ceremony which was a big success. So much so in fact that my son refused to get off the bus for photos!

After the wedding breakfast we then did speeches, more fizz, cut cake and had a disco.

The one thing I did which I would really recommend, is got a manned photobooth with props. It was something fun for the guests to do especially when a bit tipsy and they got to take a copy of their print as their 'favour'. We got a book of prints with messages from guests and the pictures are hilarious, makes a really good addition to the standard wedding photographs.

I wore this dress (sorry don't know how to insert the image)
www.needleandthread.com/uk/all-bridalwear/dresses/bridal-tulle-v-cut-gown

Which everyone said was absolutely lovely and I felt like a princess all day. I doubt I'll be able to sell it or wear it again so I'm now having it made into a cushion!

The only thing I would have changed with hindsight, was the day of the week. We went for a Sunday wedding to cut costs. A lot of people came up on the saturday and we all went out for a meal, but it did mean a lot of people couldn't stay over on the Sunday so quite a few folk left early and by 11.30 everyone had either left or gone to bed! I knew to expect that, but for the money we saved I don't think in hindsight it was worth it. Still, we got to hang out with everyone the night before so I suppose we saw more of people that way.

All in all it was a fab day, I think we spent around 12k in all, 8k for the venue and then 4k for the rest but we tried to budget on things like the cake (home made!) and dress (£400 - bargain!) and our parents helped out a bit too.

GemmaB78 Tue 17-May-16 20:35:43

We get married next May. Nothing firmly planned yet but we want something very unorthodox! My engagement ring is silver and Czech garnets, bought on a family trip to Prague with our little boy. Beautiful Kent village church with the reception in the village hall opposite. We hope to have a buffet meal with a cake table (!) which we cater ourselves, followed by a ceilidh. The day will start with a very informal breakfast picnic in a nearby park. And that is all we have decided on so far :-)

maggiethemagpie Tue 17-May-16 20:38:11

I went to a wedding with a homemade cake table with about 12 different cakes on once Gemma and it was amazing, far better than only getting one slice of cake!

DameSquashalot Tue 17-May-16 22:15:29

FluffyPersian you have just made a happy year fall ...

DameSquashalot Tue 17-May-16 22:21:03

tear

ladyjadey Thu 07-Jul-16 21:54:41

I'm getting married June next year.... In a Chateau in France. We have the place to ourselves and guests for 3 days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now