Question for Registrars - Changing date (not venue), need to redo notices?

(6 Posts)
Chasingsquirrels Sat 23-Apr-16 10:48:50

Hi,

DH to be had some very bad news this week.

Question pretty much as in the title, we have already given our notices and booked the registry office.
Notices have about 10 days to run, wedding is booked for early June.
If we wanted to bring the wedding forward (same registry office location) do we need to redo the 28 day notice period?

I know if you change the venue you have to redo notices, but not sure if that's the case with just changing the date?

If we have to redo notices it won't be feasible as wedding is only 5.5 weeks away and with getting an appt for new notices then waiting a further 28 days will take us nearly there.

I'll ring the registry office on Monday but wondered if anyone could help me now?

Chasingsquirrels Sun 24-Apr-16 06:41:17

Anyone?

Hesalovernotabiter Sun 24-Apr-16 21:41:29

As soon as your notice period has run and your certificate for marriage has been issued you can get married. The date is changeable but not the venue. Hope this helps.

Hesalovernotabiter Sun 24-Apr-16 21:45:50

Just a thought... You say some very bad news and I'm not meaning to pry but there are certain circumstances whereby you can apply for your notice waiting period to be waived and you are able to marry almost immediately. If you think your situation may warrant this it may be worth having s chat with your register office first thing in the morning. It's called a registrar generals licence. Hope everything works out well for you 😊 (Ex registrar)

Chasingsquirrels Sun 24-Apr-16 22:02:20

Thank you so much, especially as that is what I wanted to hear.

I will ring the registrar tomorrow and then discuss with DP whether we bring it forward.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 24-Apr-16 22:04:30

I appreciate your detail about exceptional circumstances. It isn't at that stage at the moment, hopefully it won't be but I just want to be married to him now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now