Can I turn a normal bouquet into a bridal bouquet?

(9 Posts)
maggiethemagpie Tue 01-Mar-16 18:35:59

So on interflora and the like there are 'bouquets' of flowers for £30 to £40 (ie a prearranged/ selected bunch that you put in a vase) but on putting the word 'bridal' in front of it, they go up to crazy amounts, well over £100.

I'm thinking of just getting a normal 'bouquet' the day before my wedding and then turning it into a bridal bouquet with floral tape and ribbon. There are plenty of instructions on t'internet. I have absolutely no prior interest or experience in floristry but could practice on some flowers from the supermarket beforehand.

Is there any reason why a bridal bouquet is so much, or is it just part of the whole phenomenon where anything 'wedding' costs three times as much.

And can anyone recommend doing your own bouquet (from a preselected bunch) or is this a no go?

WowOoo Tue 01-Mar-16 18:44:52

I had a 'normal' bouquet. They were peonies and lovely. I asked my friend to ask the florist to make them special!

Two weeks later and peonies would not have been in season. It's risky if you are particular. Flowers are lovely!

What everyone told me is it's far too risky rocking up the day before and there being nothing that you like. Also a really good florist might be too busy to do what you want and they can order in stock especially.

I was totally willing to go with the flow and my wedding was quite low key (and budget) I spent a lot more on the party in the night!

The reason I did it was because the whole wedding flowers thing seemed so over the top expensive. I ordered wedding flowers for tables and then ordered some flowers for a party. Same amount, same flowers.

The 'party' flowers were so much cheaper. I did own up, but said simple was fine.

HerRoyalNotness Tue 01-Mar-16 18:48:58

Yes if you don't mind what flowers they'll have available. Morning of my mothers wedding I popped down to the florist and got her some yellow lillies. Wrapped with a ribbon around the stem and secured with a pearl topped pin. Vv easy and classic looking

unlimiteddilutingjuice Tue 01-Mar-16 18:55:12

I did and it was fine. There was a bit of fiddling around with ribboon and tape on the morning but nothing too taxing. I had one medium sized bunch for myself and some little ones for bridesmaids. They lookedd lovely. Flowers dont need much to make them look nice- hence the expression about gilding lillies.

katienana Tue 01-Mar-16 19:00:35

I recommend actually going into a florist telling them your budget and seeing what they can suggest for that price.

SellFridges Tue 01-Mar-16 19:06:33

My bouquet was a custom, bridal bouquet and was £55. So not much more than you are talking about really.

maggiethemagpie Tue 01-Mar-16 20:23:19

I was thinking of getting a bouquet off interflora, like this...

maggiethemagpie Tue 01-Mar-16 20:24:10

oops that link's not worked at all, Try again
www.interflora.co.uk/product/personalised-cool-lilacs-hand-tied/?;category_id=4

FelicityGubbins Thu 03-Mar-16 14:02:37

Have a look on Selfridges website, Philippa Craddock does some stunning bouquets for around £40-50.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now