Mature weddings

(14 Posts)
ShyCharles Sat 23-Jan-16 22:52:48

I'm hopefully getting married again next year and am slightly older this time round. Please can you tell me about weddings for older couples? Does it have to toned down? Can I still wear a flouncy dress? We are both late forties. Thanks

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 23-Jan-16 23:02:48

Second (maybe more grin) wedding and late 40's? I'd definitely not do the white wedding dress. It just looks naff and silly. Apart from that - whatever you want.

ShyCharles Sat 23-Jan-16 23:08:07

That is what I was thinking, leave the white dresses for the youngsters. X

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 23-Jan-16 23:10:58

I thought Camilla got it right.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Sat 23-Jan-16 23:13:37

You can do whatever you want. But a horse-drawn carriage would look odd.

DickDewy Sat 23-Jan-16 23:19:03

An older wedding is a license to be cool.

Yes, avoid the full bridal look - but you could still wear a gorgeous dress.

Janeymoo50 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:51:16

I am 51, first marriage and have a tea length dress from Monsoon. My view is, a big flouncy white thing would look silly, but I still want to look like a bride. It's Ivory, white would be inappropriate.

postmanpatscat Sat 30-Jan-16 14:06:11

I'm nearly 48 and DP is 51. We will get married either this summer or in 2017. I'm a bit vague as I haven't asked him yet! I plan to wear a 50s style dress, not too long as I'm 5ft 4 and it will dwarf me otherwise, in ivory. Cap sleeves, not strapless, as I have no boobs to hold it up.

If I wanted to wear a big, white flouncy dress though, I would! However, since we will marry abroad it would just be a pain, and with only us two plus a witness or two would definitely look a little bit over the top.

TPel Sat 30-Jan-16 14:10:20

I got married (not for the first time) wink at 43. I wore a charcoal ball gown. It was a winter wedding in a very old building with lots of candles and orchids.
I just wore what felt good.

Mrskeats Sat 30-Jan-16 14:12:02

I'm 49 dp is 51
We are planning afternoon tea in a v cool small hotel. Just family. Also going for tea length dress and funky shoes
Second marriage for both of us

ChristineDePisan Sat 30-Jan-16 14:13:58

I almost want a second wedding just so I can justify splurging on a beautiful, non-bridal gown (think MArchessa or similar)...

Gazelda Sat 30-Jan-16 14:16:43

I married at 46, wearing a tea length sleeved Ivory dress and fabulous shoes.
No veil, tiara etc, just a classy (I think) updo and a little fancy clip.

jamhot Sat 30-Jan-16 14:24:19

Wear and do what makes you happy! If a flouncy dress and a "not toned down" wedding is the celebration you want, do it.

Anyone who judges you badly for it doesn't value your happiness, so stuff them!

MuttonCadet Sat 30-Jan-16 14:30:38

I married at 40 and did go for a full length Ivory bridal gown (although it was more elegant and sophisticated than big and princessey).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now