6 weeks to plan a wedding...anyone want to give me a hand?

(14 Posts)
WinterLover Thu 07-Jan-16 10:12:50

So DP and I have decided to get married. Almost 8 years together and two DCS, we don't want a big wedding, just close family and then maybe pub for after.

Also needs to be on a fairly tight budget.

I'm trying to list everything I need to do but heads in a spin.

Anyway advice or help would be greatly appreciated smile

springscoming Thu 07-Jan-16 10:15:42

I did this. Decided at the start of the school holidays, married and honeymoon sorted by September 1st. Totally doable.

First thing you need to do is book the place where you'll get married. Have you decided?

springscoming Thu 07-Jan-16 10:16:48

And you've just reminded me it'll be our silver wedding anniversary this summer. smile

WinterLover Thu 07-Jan-16 10:23:13

Thanks for your reply. We're going to the Registry Office next week to give notice and book at date there. Would love the local priory for the whole thing but at nearly £5000 for the hire and food it's just well out of our price range.

Need to pin DP down on dates, we have 5 possible dates so will hopefully get one of them.

Fourormore Thu 07-Jan-16 10:27:45

I did this. Monsoon for a dress, registry office wedding, lunch in a nice restaurant that had a private dining room (there was only 14 of us) and then drove straight to our honeymoon that evening 😊 We had a friend to take photos, I did my own hair and make up. It was a wonderful day.

HeyMacWey Thu 07-Jan-16 10:28:38

Congratulations! Totally do - able.

Book venue - are you doing register office? Are you planning on hiring a room in a pub after or just arranging to meet friends in a specific one to celebrate?

If your budget is really tight then don't bother with hiring a car.

Do you have a nice flower market nearby? If you're slightly creative I'm sure you could practice hand tying a bouquet.

Are you going to have the dc's involved in your ceremony? You might want to think about any readings they could do.

Invites for the pub do afterwards - you can send these by email.

Do get a photographer if you can - or do you have any friends who are handy with a decent camera.

Outfits - do you want to wear a traditional wedding dress or would you prefer a nice outfit? Wedding shops will give you a sharp intake of breath when you say how soon you are getting married however I found a sale dress which fitted perfectly so could take it home that day. If I had my time again I'd go for a glamorous dress over a traditional wedding dress.

Have fun!

HeyMacWey Thu 07-Jan-16 10:29:39

I did my own hair and make up too

HeyMacWey Thu 07-Jan-16 10:32:51

Just remembered - You might be able to get a last minute deal on wedding venues if you don't mind a midweek wedding - we booked a date within 6 months and it was substantially cheaper - do remember that some people may not want to use their annual leave to come though.

CMOTDibbler Thu 07-Jan-16 10:35:55

Get a date/place to get married.
Once that is sorted, find somewhere to celebrate and get a price for meal options - if you get married late afternoon you can just have one lot of food, and invite people along for a drink only later.
Work out guest list based on budget and invite people (don't do expensive invites, no one keeps them)
Find something for you, dp and dcs to wear. ebay is great for this!
Buy rings
Get a friend to make a cake, or buy one from Tesco/M&S/Waitrose
Organise flowers for you - either florist (and if you buy a plain cake, ask them to make a little matching cake top) or make your own bouquet from silk flowers

Ask friends and relatives to help you out on anything you can - people generally like to do things to celebrate, and asking someone with a nice car to drive you around for the day will save money to spend on drinks etc

AuntieStella Thu 07-Jan-16 10:40:27

I suggest you make a short list of pubs with function rooms now, and establish which are affordable and which are available on the dates you are hoping to book for the service.

You can dispense with most trimmings (unless there are things you have always craved).

Do budget for drinks for a toast, even if budget means it's cash bar for everything else.

Do you want photographs? Because if so, that's the other thing you need to book as early as possible.

springscoming Thu 07-Jan-16 10:50:21

If you don't want 'stuff' as wedding gifts, why not ask for wedding day things? Maybe a friend could get involved with choosing flowers for your bouquet if you have one and pay for them as her gift - my DSis is handy and made my bouquet, flowery headband and the buttonholes as her gift. It was good fun and very personal.

I suppose a lot depend on your meaning of a 'tight' budget. 25 years ago, we spent about £1000 all in. Laura Ashley knee length dress in the sale, shoes in the sale, borrowed marquee, high tea provided by DM's friends (traditional in their group), barrel of beer/other booze as a wedding gift from cousins etc. It was great fun.

photographybyeddie Thu 07-Jan-16 11:37:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PrimalLass Thu 07-Jan-16 13:36:21

There was a poster on here giving away beautiful felt bouquets.

AuntieStella Thu 07-Jan-16 13:39:58

Good idea, PrimalLass !

It's this thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2542858-I-want-to-do-a-good-deed-for-my-fellow-mumsnetters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now