Anyone bought a wedding dress from China?

(27 Posts)
PrettyKittyCat Thu 22-Oct-15 22:20:11

I've just seen one on eBay for £26! The photo they have used is from another designer. It has disaster written all over it doesn't it?

PixieChops Thu 22-Oct-15 22:22:31

Yes. Have you not seen that episode of "don't tell the bride"'where the groom buys a dress from China off eBay? Looks nothing like the picture and it's that badly made its falling apart. Ends up having to try and salvage it and ends up spending a lot of money putting it right. My dad always says "buy cheap, but twice".

PixieChops Thu 22-Oct-15 22:24:14

Buy cheap, buy twice. Really hate predictive text angry

clareth Thu 22-Oct-15 22:25:04

Yes it will look like a disaster. Honestly, please don't be tempted... Heard too many stories about disappointed brides (I work in the bridal industry) when buying off eBay at very low prices. Much better to visit your local bridal boutique and try on dresses - they will always have sales/samples sold off at lower prices, if you're on a budget. Or try the high street - there are some pretty good ranges out there now.

lighteningirl Thu 22-Oct-15 22:26:12

My dss bought a prom dress: no, no and oh no.

FartemisOwl Thu 22-Oct-15 22:27:42

I know this is from the Daily Fail, but seriously, I wouldn't risk it just to save a few bob. Check out these monstrosities!
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2909093/Angry-brides-share-bridal-gown-horror-stories.html

TRexingInAsda Thu 22-Oct-15 22:34:30

I did! I told them the exact measurements but it still needed totally fitting - sewing up everywhere. Fortunately a family friend sewed it for me, but it wasn't exactly what I envisaged. But it was lovely and it was less than 100 pounds. I kind of wish I'd gone for an expensive one now though, but I didn't have the money at the time.

Charliej86 Mon 26-Oct-15 13:27:45

I asked this a few weeks ago and got a very positive response, like 90%. Most people did have to get it adjusted but they all loved it. Even a lady who makes wedding dresses commented, she did say she's found the higher priced ones tend to be better than lower. So maybe £26 is a risk but the way I see it is if it's nice you have your dress n it only cost £26 if not you've only lost £26.

I'm ordering mine on Friday for wedding in April. X

Qwebec Tue 27-Oct-15 21:58:47

Well you get what you spend, there need to be alot of shortcuts to make a 26 pound wedding dress and still make a profit. I've heard that if you pay a few hundred you can POSSIBLY if you are lucky get a decent dress. But the working conditions of the workers are horrific. A while ago I looked into it and it is basicly slavery in a heath hazard environement. When I saw the photos I was so chocked. I'd rather wear something simple made by a local seamstress than promote such exploitation.

Your dress, your call

gpick1234321 Wed 28-Oct-15 22:22:16

Anybody used bridalgownsuk?
Haven't used mums net before, hopefully i do this correctly! Thinking of getting my wedding dresses (need 2 as doing a shoot in water) online. Anybody any experience of this site? Dresses are around the 2 or 3 hundred mark, and they don't accept refunds.

Helloall1 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:29:16

Hi

I ordered a bridesmaid gown from China / eBay. Despite promises of speedy delivery, it took months to arrive and when it did, it looked nothing like the beautiful dress on the advertised picture. It was completely the wrong size, colour and poorly made.

The dress was £50, when we contacted the seller, with pictures to prove all the differences, they said we could only return if WE paid the return postage, which was more than the original cost.

Several calls and emails to eBay, we got a full refund

It was rather stressful and left us short of time to find a new option.

However, we did find another dress on eBay, from a UK seller and it was perfect.

There are bargains to be had, but I wouldn't recommend China based cheap deals, they are too good to be true.

Good luck ??

LeaveMyWingsBehindMe Sat 31-Oct-15 18:31:11

Yes I know someone who did. It as awful and she g
Had to buy another one. I don't think there are made to the same standards as the ones he show in the photos.

Busybuzzybumblebee Mon 02-Nov-15 11:25:31

My friend did and it looked lovely but she bought it in plenty of time so if it came and looked awful she had enough time to get a different dress

gpick1234321 Mon 02-Nov-15 16:00:07

busybuzzybumblebee, was that from bridal gowns uk? Was it recently?

Leavemywingsbehindme, what was awful about it? Wrong size or colour or material or what?

Thanks so much for responding! !

getmeoutofthismadhouse Sat 09-Jan-16 10:52:48

My sister did and it was beautiful when it come and only needed turning up and I had my bridesmaid dress for £17 and you would've thought it come off the racks of BHS the standard was amazing and fitted me lovely smile

wineandcheeseplease Sat 09-Jan-16 10:54:34

I ordered my wedding dress from China. I sent photos of the one I wanted and they made it for me. It was beautiful and only needed minor alterations.

Hamsolo Sat 09-Jan-16 11:42:34

Yes, a friend did - it took so long to arrive the wedding had already happened!

Other friend bought bridesmaid dresses that way and it was the worst fitting, shiny fabric, awful colour... And we still had to wear them. One of the other girls' dresses split one the morning of the wedding and she had to be sewn back into it in a side room at the registry office.

So, don't do it!

hopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 09-Jan-16 12:12:09

Research companies carefully, there is a huge variation, and as they all use the same photos on their websites you will need to go by reviews.

When I was getting married there was a busy thread on the Wedding Bee website about a Chinese shop which sounded excellent- hundreds of satisfied brides posted photos of great dresses. However it was a different shop than the one recommended a couple of years ago on the same thread, the old shop was now less good. So I think you need to get lots of recent feedback as things change quickly.

Lots of dresses sold in uk wedding shops are made in the same Chinese factories, with a bit of altering and embellishment in the UK.

You will almost definitely need to get it altered for precise fit, so budget for this.

VocationalGoat Sat 09-Jan-16 12:19:49

Me!! Ah I loved it! I ordered online from JJ House which is a UK website but the dresses are made in China. I got an ivory bridesmaid dress (cheaper than a wedding dress on their site and a bit simpler- more my style). I gave then my size and measurements, had the bust slightly altered upon arrival (I am flat chested!). It was perfect! I'll attach a photo). I wire a faux fur shrug from Asos. I also got my shoes online through eBay...cream satin peep toe pumps at a bargain.
I paid about £80 in total for my dress and £40 for the faux fur shrug.
Coming from China, the dress took about 2 weeks to arrive so give yourself time. This was a few years back though (4 years ago).
The quality was wonderful. I'll find a photo...

VocationalGoat Sat 09-Jan-16 12:21:29

PS...Skip eBay...have a look at JJ House.
£26 has disaster written all over it indeed. wink

Kelsoooo Sat 09-Jan-16 12:29:04

I bought mine from your bridal wear.com

Cost £203 and was stunning. Fitted me perfectly with no alterations and was a stunning, heavy, well built gown.

VocationalGoat Sat 09-Jan-16 12:29:57

Here's the dress that I wore... it was a winter wedding so I never removed my shrug.
But it was a strapless gown... lovely and simple.

SellFridges Sat 09-Jan-16 12:31:15

I haven't, but interestingly a shop has opened on our high street which seems to be selling these dresses direct. Obviously more money, but not as expensive as the two gorgeous shops on the same road. I don't imagine it'll last long as even the dresses they have on display look like they're about to split open.

Kelsoooo Sat 09-Jan-16 12:32:32

I've attached two photos.
One closer in so you can see the detailing.

Only1scoop Sat 09-Jan-16 12:33:25

My friend bought one it cost more to ship etc than the dress....

She had to have a few alterations but a similar design was over 2000 and she literarily paid under 200 pounds

I was so shocked it was beautiful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now