ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Wedding dress for Mature Woman

(15 Posts)
MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 08:31:34

Hi,
I'm hoping some of you may have some ideas.

I'm 57, a size 14-16, getting married for the second time in 8 weeks and haven't got my outfit sorted yet!!! I don't really know where to start except I know I don't want a traditional white wedding dress (did that first time round!).

I was at first thinking along the lines of a 'Jacques Vert' dress and jacket - but I'm afraid I'll look frumpy rather than glamorous. I don't want to wear a 'shift' dress - whilst they look smart, they're on/above the knee I feel out of my comfort zone. Then I started wondering about a tea/cocktail length dress or even a maxi dress (but I wouldn't want one of these to look like a wedding dress)...... oh heck, my head just starts buzzing thinking about it.

Its a very quiet registry office 'do' with no reception after, just a small family meal in the evening, so I'd maybe be able to wear the same dress to both?
Any suggestions are most welcome smile

SpringyReframed Mon 17-Mar-14 08:43:11

How tall are you OP?

meditrina Mon 17-Mar-14 08:56:49

Do you want any particular colours? Plain, small pattern, big pattern? What sort of shape usually suits you?

And budget?

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 09:09:19

I'm 5' 6" tall

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 09:13:41

I don't really mind what colours, though blues and greens tend to suit me as I'm a (faded) natural redhead, with freckles, fair skin and blue eyes. I also like champagne/beige colours. I don't like big patterns. I've got big hips and thighs - not too keen on skin tight clingy materials, but don't want to wear a tent either lol

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 15:32:32

....my budget is up to a maximum of £500 to include accessories if possible.

Here?

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 17-Mar-14 16:07:22

http://www.isme.com/berkertex-satin-maxi-dress/1330959335.prd?numProducts=36 no?

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 17-Mar-14 16:07:43

uuughhhh

www.isme.com/berkertex-satin-maxi-dress/1330959335.prd?numProducts=36

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 16:28:35

Thank you 'NeverTalksToStrangers' - I quite like the look of that smile - a reasonable price too!

TheBeautifulVisit Mon 17-Mar-14 16:30:50

Libelula have lovely dress coats, their Dulwich coat in heavy silk is lovely. They hang beautifully and worn over a simple maxi dress it would look superb.
www.libelula-studio.com/coats-jackets/dulwich-coat-2830.html

They also do it in hot pink which is gorgeous and in the sale.

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 17:00:01

Thank you 'TheBeautifulVisit' There are some lovely dresses on there. Looking for a stockist in Cardiff - I simply have to try on first!

MarianForrester Mon 17-Mar-14 18:34:36

I think those are a wee bit frumpy...

What about www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Adrianna+Papell+Angel+Sleeve+Beaded+Dress/190164887,default,pd.html]]this?

If not, Frasers have loads of dresses; worth a look.

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 20:09:13

Thank you everyone, I'm getting some lovely ideassmile

Clutterbugsmum Mon 17-Mar-14 20:17:23

simple but pretty dress

floral pattern dress

Hobbs freesia dress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now