Wedding dress for Mature Woman

(15 Posts)
MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 08:31:34

Hi,
I'm hoping some of you may have some ideas.

I'm 57, a size 14-16, getting married for the second time in 8 weeks and haven't got my outfit sorted yet!!! I don't really know where to start except I know I don't want a traditional white wedding dress (did that first time round!).

I was at first thinking along the lines of a 'Jacques Vert' dress and jacket - but I'm afraid I'll look frumpy rather than glamorous. I don't want to wear a 'shift' dress - whilst they look smart, they're on/above the knee I feel out of my comfort zone. Then I started wondering about a tea/cocktail length dress or even a maxi dress (but I wouldn't want one of these to look like a wedding dress)...... oh heck, my head just starts buzzing thinking about it.

Its a very quiet registry office 'do' with no reception after, just a small family meal in the evening, so I'd maybe be able to wear the same dress to both?
Any suggestions are most welcome smile

SpringyReframed Mon 17-Mar-14 08:43:11

How tall are you OP?

meditrina Mon 17-Mar-14 08:56:49

Do you want any particular colours? Plain, small pattern, big pattern? What sort of shape usually suits you?

And budget?

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 09:09:19

I'm 5' 6" tall

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 09:13:41

I don't really mind what colours, though blues and greens tend to suit me as I'm a (faded) natural redhead, with freckles, fair skin and blue eyes. I also like champagne/beige colours. I don't like big patterns. I've got big hips and thighs - not too keen on skin tight clingy materials, but don't want to wear a tent either lol

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 15:32:32

....my budget is up to a maximum of £500 to include accessories if possible.

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 17-Mar-14 16:07:22

http://www.isme.com/berkertex-satin-maxi-dress/1330959335.prd?numProducts=36 no?

NeverTalksToStrangers Mon 17-Mar-14 16:07:43
MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 16:28:35

Thank you 'NeverTalksToStrangers' - I quite like the look of that smile - a reasonable price too!

TheBeautifulVisit Mon 17-Mar-14 16:30:50

Libelula have lovely dress coats, their Dulwich coat in heavy silk is lovely. They hang beautifully and worn over a simple maxi dress it would look superb.
www.libelula-studio.com/coats-jackets/dulwich-coat-2830.html

They also do it in hot pink which is gorgeous and in the sale.

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 17:00:01

Thank you 'TheBeautifulVisit' There are some lovely dresses on there. Looking for a stockist in Cardiff - I simply have to try on first!

MarianForrester Mon 17-Mar-14 18:34:36

I think those are a wee bit frumpy...

What about www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Adrianna+Papell+Angel+Sleeve+Beaded+Dress/190164887,default,pd.html]]this?

If not, Frasers have loads of dresses; worth a look.

MaggieLizzie Mon 17-Mar-14 20:09:13

Thank you everyone, I'm getting some lovely ideassmile

Clutterbugsmum Mon 17-Mar-14 20:17:23

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now