What on earth do we do about staff??

(17 Posts)
PaperFlowers Thu 27-Feb-14 22:11:14

We're having a diy wedding at a village hall with no staff or bar in June, with a buffet for lunchand possibly pies for the evening. I'd like to hire some staff to set up/clear the buffet, perhaps serve some drinks and help with general logistical 'stuff' on the day, such as moving tables around for the evening and getting drinks on ice.

Who on earth do I hire for that???? I assumed it would easy but the internet has failed me and I'm at a loss. Anyone with experience of this?

If they are not going to be seeving alcohol I'd look for responsible teenagers.

Umm.

How hard could that be?

wink

Contact a local hotel? If its lowish season they may do you a deal. Alternatively, they may have casual employees who they can send your way and you pay direct.

An agency?

Where in the uk are you?

BrennanHasAMangina Thu 27-Feb-14 22:16:31

Contact catering companies. Some of them will be happy to provide you with some of their staff for the day (there might be a premium on their usual rate if you're not purchasing their food) OR they may be able to put you in touch with an events staffing agency. Congratulations!

cmt1375 Thu 27-Feb-14 22:18:17

local college with a catering course may have students who would be looking for that type of work.

Beehatch Thu 27-Feb-14 22:18:20

Local catering college, or other cash-strapped students?

meditrina Thu 27-Feb-14 22:21:19

Ask the chair of the local WI. Usually they know everyone locally so can recommend, and if you're very lucky might even rustle up people to do it in return for a donation to the branch.

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Feb-14 22:24:25

I'd love to go to a wedding with pies! Hope they're Holland's!

justabigdisco Thu 27-Feb-14 22:28:37

We had a DIY wedding and hired a couple of waitresses via the marquee company. I know you're not having a marquee, but they are the sort of company that would have those sorts of contacts. I would advise against random teenagers who will require constant direction and prompting - get yourself some people who do this sort if thing regularly. Some of the best money we spent (after the curry and beer grin)

PaperFlowers Fri 28-Feb-14 07:43:33

Thanks everyone - plenty of good ideas!

JeanSeberg We're getting the pies from a local butcher I think, but I'm going to have a look at Hollands since you clearly have the right idea about weddings grin

MyName I've had a look around for some sort of agency but I haven't been able to find any so far that look as though they'd do just a couple of people. It's just outside Oxford.

Plenty of students about, but the idea makes me nervous because I don't want to end up 'supervising' as others have suggested - catering college students may well be fine though, I'll look into it!

Turquoisetamborine Fri 28-Feb-14 07:47:01

We had a marquee wedding in the middle of a cricket field. The cricket club supplied drinks the catering company supplied staff.

It was fab, hard work but an amazing wedding.

Quejica Fri 28-Feb-14 07:50:38

Someone you know will have a 'sensible, capable and resourceful' Uni student. That student will have similar friends who can help them.
Obviously you will pay them well, say £10 ph.

My daughter (19) does exactly this when we have functions at work.

If you're just outside Oxford, then Brookes might be a good bet - they have the restaurant there and undergrads in catering management have to spend time there waiting tables etc.

AYS (at your service) also runs in Oxford, they are an agency and might be worth a try. I would also try Absolute Event Solutions, worth an email for a quote, but I think they may be a little pricey.

Failing that, sod it, I live nearby, I'll have a go!

TinyDiamond Sun 02-Mar-14 16:56:02

Do you use or know anyone who uses any local babysitters? Ask them, they will probably be looking for extra cash. ditto with nursery nurses if you use a nursery at all.

Alternatively go to your favourite bar or pub and ask the staff if they think any of the people who work there would be interested in a one off shift if they are not due to work on the bar.
Or you could pop an ad in a shop window or paper or even on your facebook for friends of friends to see.

This will not be difficult to find people. Have fun.

twinklytoes Sun 02-Mar-14 23:05:08

just seen you are close to me, I'm not sure of local recommendations but I have an acquaintance (met through my love for decorating cakes!) that runs an event company and uses the students from Oxford and cherwell college catering dept. Maybe give them a call and see if they can help with suggestions - www.banburycatering.co.uk 01295 713888

I'd come and help out, if you'd accept a stranger and is late June.

heritagewarrior Sun 02-Mar-14 23:23:52

We used the first team from our local rugby club at ours (much to the delight of the female guests), and my mum got the girl guides in to hand round sandwiches at the afternoon tea-style reception. We made donations to rugby club and guide company in return.....

BackforGood Sun 02-Mar-14 23:34:34

Funnily enough, heritage I was going to say contact your local Scout COunty - there'll be a group out there ready and willing to earn a bit, and they come ready equipped with their own Leaders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now