Bridal shops Edinburgh

(12 Posts)
readyforno2 Sat 22-Feb-14 23:38:45

I'm getting married in November and as my birthday falls on a Saturday this year (March) I had planned to go dress shopping.
Anyone got any recommendations? Nothing crazy expensive, preferably with a good range of dresses. I realise I'll probably have to book in advance and would like maybe one in the morning, two for the afternoon.
Thanks in advance.

Sarahplane Sat 22-Feb-14 23:42:36

I got my dress from a lovely shop on chesser avenue. Really good prices and the women who work there are lovely. Have a great range of sizes including plus sizes to try on.

readyforno2 Sat 22-Feb-14 23:43:23

Thanks, will check that out smile

Sarahplane Sat 22-Feb-14 23:45:12

It's called Susan Gregory I think.

Sleepyfergus Sat 22-Feb-14 23:47:41

I went to Emma Roy opp St James Centre. Found them to be great, my dress cost £500 but that was 9 years ago! Be warned, people either have great or terrible experiences at ER so you will get lots of conflicting opinions!

Since then though I've seen a few smaller wedding boutiques opening up so is say there is more choice around. One I always think looks lovely is Pan Pan (I think that's the name) on the south side near the university. It's bang opposite Beucleuch Street. And there is a nice one on Dindas Street called Rachael something or other, mind looks pricey though!

Another one worth a look is Susan Gregory opp Asda at Chesser. Not the most glamorous of surroundings but my 2nd fave dress was in there. Their window display can look a bit dire but looks can be deceiving.

One final bit of advice is go with the suggestions of the staff. When I was in Emma Roy first time, I struggled to find something I really liked. The girl asked what sort of stuff I liked, brought about 10 dresses and you'd be surprised how diff (and nice) they look on.

Good luck and enjoy, it's a lovely experience!!

readyforno2 Sat 22-Feb-14 23:50:30

2 votes for Susan Gregory..
Have to admit I'm pretty excited!
I have an idea of what I'm after, just don't know if it will look the same on as it does in my head..

Sleepyfergus Sat 22-Feb-14 23:56:19

When I was getting married the other place people seemed to go to was Pretty Woman at Meadowbank - don't know if it's still there? We didn't manage to get an appt and by the time we had I'd already found the dress I wanted.

Another one that looks big (so might have a lot of choice) is Kavelle at Canonmills. I frequently sit at the lights there on the way home and DD1 likes to choose her favourite dress in the window!

readyforno2 Tue 25-Feb-14 08:30:34

Sorry to bump this up again..
Do you think two and a half hours between appointments will be enough time? I'm planning on one in the morning, two in the afternoon. Is this unrealistic? Thanks

Groovee Tue 25-Feb-14 08:35:37

Susan Gregory would always be my first choice. I went in and was treated just so wonderfully. Didn't know what I wanted so the lady hauled everything out and showed me a variety of ones then helped me try them on.

I grew up round the corner from the shop and it's been there for so long and Sue does ensure you get some great service.

I'd go for 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I was in for about 2 hours trying on dresses and they were open on the Sunday to go back and show my mum.

gillianMFS Mon 17-Mar-14 13:03:08

Lily & Lace on Haymarket Terrace is also lovely!

StrawberryCheese Mon 17-Mar-14 13:15:56

I got my dress from Pretty Woman, definitely recommend them.

readyforno2 Mon 17-Mar-14 21:34:31

Got it! Butterflies at the Grassmarket. I love it! Thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now