Can I wear an ivory dress to a wedding ?

(19 Posts)
4x4 Tue 11-Feb-14 05:08:36

It's a civil partnership affair so there won't be a bride.
I have seen a lush knee length cream pencil pleated dress that would look so nice with a tan.
I'd wear coloured accessories.

Apparentlychilled Tue 11-Feb-14 05:14:11

No, not unless you're the bride.

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 11-Feb-14 05:23:47

Even worse if there's no bride- it'll look like you're the bride!

nooka Tue 11-Feb-14 05:28:02

Why don't you check with the guys getting hitched? It doesn't sound like a bride's sort of dress so I can't see why it would be a problem really. But then I recently went to a wedding in a little black number, which I understand to be a bit of a faux pas so perhaps not the best person to judge (for the record no one was upset).

Why would anyone think the OP was 'the bride' at a ceremony for two men?

Apparentlychilled Tue 11-Feb-14 05:33:46

nooka - do we know it's 2 men?

I think even if no one in the wedding party is wearing white, you'll look like you wish you were the bride. My ddad and dsmum had a tiny wedding and a big party after to which she wore a cocktail dress. Even though dsmum was adamant it was a party, not a wedding, it looked weird that a guest wore a white dress (and she got some funny looks),

HopeS01 Tue 11-Feb-14 05:44:48

Apparently, the OP said "there won't be a bride" so I'm assuming there are two grooms instead?

Anyway, I wouldn't wear anything white/ cream to a wedding that wasn't my own.
Sorry

Thumbwitch Tue 11-Feb-14 05:49:42

How much in the way of coloured accessories? Are we talking coloured hat, bag, shoes, scarf? And would they be a vivid colour? If not vivid, then no, don't do it. But if they're a vivid cerise, or peacock or similar then you might get away with it.

But I agree - ask the people getting hitched what they think!

nooka Tue 11-Feb-14 05:53:35

I was going on the 'there won't be a bride' to assume it was two guys, but yes total assumption really.

Funnyfoot Tue 11-Feb-14 06:18:10

Even for a civil partnership I think it would be a bit off to wear an ivory dress. How embarrassing for the couple if someone mistook you for the bride. Maybe the etiquette has changed but I was always told all white/ivory dress at a wedding is a no no.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Feb-14 06:30:02

I wouldn't.
My sister wore an ivory dress to my brother's and my weddings - different dresses too. Made her look a bit desperate !

Rosa Tue 11-Feb-14 06:34:40

I wore a cream linen suit with navy extras once it looked very smart and not bridal at all. It was cool as the temps were really hot. I think its how you put the outdit together.

4x4 Tue 11-Feb-14 07:02:25

It's guys tying the knot and will be going with my DH and four kids. I was thinking vivid for the shoes and corsage. and plus the dress has hip beading in silver/black.

coffeewithcreamm Tue 11-Feb-14 07:37:22

Oh go for it, sounds great!

BeckAndCall Tue 11-Feb-14 07:38:50

I think this might be the one time when the answer is 'yes!'

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 11-Feb-14 08:06:28

Why would anyone think the OP was 'the bride' at a ceremony for two men?

Well obviously they won't if they're paying attention. But if eg some member of the venue staff is just expecting a hetero wedding because they're more common, and looks around for a bride in a white-ish dress, then they're quite likely to head for the OP.

But then that's only a problem if you / the grooms are the type to be bothered or embarrassed by it, plenty of people wouldn't particularly mind.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 11-Feb-14 08:10:34

Some people are weird about weddings. Of course it's ok, esp with the coloured accessories.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Tue 11-Feb-14 08:15:43

Sounds fine with bright accessories op - could you link to the dress??

Thumbwitch Tue 11-Feb-14 08:42:15

I like the sound of it - can you give us a link?
Get a shoe-matching hat/fascinator/scarf too, just so that your top end is colourful too (unless your corsage is massive)

Belugagrad Thu 13-Feb-14 12:33:56

I think if you need to ask here then you shouldn't wear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now