artwork as wedding gift

(6 Posts)
ohdobuckup Mon 03-Feb-14 19:03:44

Following on from another thread about wedding gift ideas, a friend of mine is an artist whose small paintings of couple on a beach have proved popular as wedding gifts.

These are mostly small paintings priced from £40 -£150, with a couple walking together on beach, or flying a kite which is made of a heart or two joining together in the sky. The colour scheme is bluey grey, and they look lovely.

If you are getting married , would a romantic painting (not a portrait) representing the start of your life together be of interest?

With so many couples setting up home before marriage and usually having all the kit a house needs, do you think a larger painting as a gift from a number of friends would be a popular idea? They could sign the back or the mount in front

I'm really just thinking out loud on his behalf, seeing if there is a market for bigger paintings at a higher price as a major gift as well as a smaller one..any thoughts gratefully appreciated, thanks

OwlCapone Mon 03-Feb-14 19:05:22

No, I wouldn't. Art is a very personal thing and very much dependent on taste.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 03-Feb-14 19:10:57

I tend to agree with Owl. A voucher for a small gallery or print studio would interest me, a picture not to my taste would end up in the attic and be a complete waste of money.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Mon 03-Feb-14 19:15:03

I would like it - sounds nice.
I have received a lot of art in the past as gifts. It's not all my taste but I have grown to like them as they remind me of the gift giver.

ohdobuckup Mon 03-Feb-14 19:15:12

Yes, I agree,it will depend totally on the couple liking the style, and it won't be for everyone, but just looking at it as a possible business opportunity really.

Quinteszilla Mon 03-Feb-14 19:21:46

No I wouldn't, it sounds like something there is 13 of in a dozen.

I want art that "speaks to me" as otherwise it is just a "picture", or might as well just be a poster.

I am sure they are pretty, but I would be careful of calling it "art" if he is churning out identikit paintings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now