Bit of a long shot...

(29 Posts)
BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:19:20

But does anyone know where I can find This dress? I found the image on Pinterest but have no idea where it is from & I've fallen in love! I went to a dressmaker but they said they will not copy an exact image...any ideas?

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 15-Jan-14 13:21:57

Sorry, no idea, but my first thought was that it looks hand made.

BistoBear Wed 15-Jan-14 13:26:21

this company in Glasgow do similar styles.

i had one very similar to this, it was made for me! what size are you op? x

BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:30:34

Ooh, they're beautiful but I'm South East. Thank you both. When a dressmaker says they won't do a copy do you know if they'll still get pretty close? Or should I just describe what I mean rather than take a photo?

BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:32:17

X-post, I'm an 10 IBlame

Norudeshitrequired Wed 15-Jan-14 13:33:14

http://www.fairygothmother.co.uk/fairygothmother_bridal_collection.htm

This place is London based and does similar dresses.

Norudeshitrequired Wed 15-Jan-14 13:33:44

www.fairygothmother.co.uk/fairygothmother_bridal_collection.htm

Sorry, I forgot to convert the link, here it is again.

MistyB Wed 15-Jan-14 13:36:37

I wonder what the dressmaker meant? It looks like a fairly simple dress (it is beautiful!). I wonder if they are worried about copyright? Where are you? I used Sandra O'Grady in Surrey. I took along a couple of pictures and we sat together while she sketched some options to come up with a design. All relatively straightforward and at the toile fitting the design can be adjusted. I would try another dressmaker.

BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:41:45

I think she meant copywrite, will try elsewhere if it's possible to have a copy. Thank you NoRude will have a look.

Very easy to alter a white brides maid or for a bit more wow a Plain white or cream 50īs dress

Making a netting over skirt and a sash to hide nearly hand sewing it on is easy.

If I was feeling brave I'd have a go at the dress from scratch. I don't much like long back zips.

MaxsMummy2012 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:58:12

Try candy anthony on londons southbank - they do 50's style dresses and when we were in there the other week getting my sisters dress they had one similar (albeit not identical) to that but they will customis their dresses to what you want. X

No way can that be copyright, It's a standard 50's dress and a bit of netting.

DM made me a great and black tiger print dress that style as a teen, it's a standard pattern. My being a wedding guest dress, is flowery, but almost that shape.

dress pattern, you'll find loads if variations if you goggle

DreamRabbit Wed 15-Jan-14 14:06:24

I did a Google image search for you - it's a Dana Bolton dress.

www.dressmakingdesign.co.uk/on-the-dress-stand/

BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 14:17:25

Amazing - thank you Dream. I knew Mumsnet would have the answer! Thank you all very much

WeAreSix Wed 15-Jan-14 14:27:44

There are lots of vintage / 1950s style dresses out there. Particularly the Audrey Hepburn style which isn't dissimilar to the picture.

If you are somewhere between Brighton and Chichester I can recommend an amazing dressmaker.

BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 14:31:08

Wearesix, I'm in the middle!

AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 15-Jan-14 14:34:21
AvonCallingBarksdale Wed 15-Jan-14 14:34:58

So shocked my link worked that I forgot to add they were fab - my dress was handmade and they made it exactly to my specifications.

WeAreSix Wed 15-Jan-14 20:10:37

Me too smile

There is a lady in Warwick Street who does the most beautiful dresses I have ever seen! I can find the website if you like?

BolnorePhase2 Wed 15-Jan-14 20:24:54

By a well known pizza chain?! I booked an appointment there today! (This isn't the one that said about no copies) if I've got the wrong place a website link would be great thanks!

WeAreSix Wed 15-Jan-14 21:00:10

Yes. It's a lady's name. She's fab smile

oh! mine would be too big, otherwise you'd have been welcome to borrow. Good luck! x

WeAreSix Fri 17-Jan-14 18:02:09

Bolnore how did you get on?

This is one of the websites I was thinking of.

It looks like a lulu bridal dress. Someone linked above to one of their stockist, Fairy Goth Mother in London. You can also buy online from Honey Pie Boutique and Vivienne of Holloway which have pretty similar styles. Sorry I'm on my phone so can't do links. Oh also lizziejayne.co.uk may be worth a look. Think she is in Birmingham. Good luck! I was really keen on this style although being 5ft 2in on a good day really went against me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now