Engagement ring- does it come to bed?

(66 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Tue 14-Jan-14 11:17:33

So, we chose the ring together and it arrived yesterday and I have been having fun twiddling it and catching sight of the sparkle every now and again and getting used to how it feels on my finger. But I realised last night that I'm not sure if I should take it off at night for bed. DP says he's never slept with an engaged woman before so he wouldn't know grin. Kept it on last night but was very conscious of it and a bit uncomfortable. Do you take yours off?

hjc87 Wed 02-Jul-14 14:33:26

I think you should do whatever feels right- taking off your engagement ring doesn't mean you're suddenly not engaged!! However, practically, if you do take them off, make sure you put them somewhere safe. On the bedside table may not be the best place- speaking from personal experience here- as they're easy to knock off during the night if you're fumbling around in the dark for your glass of water or something!

Nunyabiz Thu 29-May-14 12:40:39

I shower before bed (and in the morning) so my rings come off before that to stop the soap getting chunked in them, and go back on after my morning shower. They get all dull and need to be cleaned all the time if I wear them at night. I keep them in exactly the same place every night.
It's nerve wracking at first but eventually you'll be more comfortable as you get used to it.

blueshoes Thu 29-May-14 12:37:27

I almost never take my engagement and wedding band off. Only in late pregnancy when my fingers swelled but that's it.

I hardly ever wear jewellery - at most statement pieces which I take off when the occasion is over. I don't even own a watch.

But my rings which are plain and discreet - apart from the lively white fiery diamond- stay on.

Mine only comes off for climbing and pastry making. Other than that it stays on. I am too paranoid about losing it.

icanmakeyouicecream Thu 29-May-14 11:54:55

I take my ER off when I get in the house. Don't wear it to bed or to shower. It's quite big so gets in the way, and I'd rather not catch it on something. Attached photo so you can see what I mean!

QuinionsRainbow Fri 11-Apr-14 16:50:03

Never had an engagement ring, so no problem there. My wedding ring will just about come off if I work at it hard, so it doesn't come off very often. DH's ring still slips off easily, probably because he has been working at losing a bit of excess weight recently.

Twice I took off. Twice lost it. Once on a beach. Took 1.5hrs of csi like sand sifting to find it.

I NEVER remove it. It's not worth the aggro.

Chocotrekkie Fri 11-Apr-14 10:02:24

Mine are totally stuck into my finger which is now much fatter than it was - they are in a little groove.

I may need an MRI soon and I think they will have to be cut off. sad

ToAvoidConversation Fri 11-Apr-14 09:58:31

I wear mine most of the time. Sometimes at night, only at home, I remove them or if I'm having a skin flare up. My wedding ring is pretty by itself so occasionally il wear that without the engagement ring.

I have met someone once who got on their high horse am about the fact they had never taken off their rings and they implied I was somehow not committed to my marriage by taking them off. That is a ridiculous thing to say. It's very special, but at the end of the day a ring is still a piece of metal!

wyldchyld Fri 11-Apr-14 09:44:52

My engagement ring doesn't come off now. I sleep in 3 pair of hoop earrings, a locket on a long chain and my ring. I even cook with manky mince / bread / pastry etc and then clean up after. I am a volunteer with a medical charity and when out in the field, the diamond and band are padded with gauze and then covered with medical tape to cover and protect them.

IShallCallYouSquishy Fri 11-Apr-14 03:11:51

My wedding and engagement ring stay on all the time. Occasionally removed if doing something really messy just to make cleaning my hands easier/protect the rings. I feel "wrong" without them on though. DH has never taken his ring off either.

kiwiscantfly Fri 11-Apr-14 03:05:26

My wedding ring has never come off (five years), but sadly my fingers are getting fatter by the day in this pregnancy so I can't see it lasting another 5 weeks. My engagement ring stays on 95% of the time, kneading bread, making meatballs and fat preggo fingers are the exception. My hand currently looks a bit naked without it.

My mum has only taken her ring off once in 35 years of marriage, she got a bad rash on her ring finger, it looked very odd without it.

RuddyDuck Fri 11-Apr-14 02:36:11

I only take my wedding ring off when I go to the gym, or if I'm doing something very messy (eg making pastry). I never wear my engagement ring, and am not actually sure where it is as it must be 3 or 4 years since I wore it.

Chottie Thu 10-Apr-14 18:22:24

I never take my rings off either (40 years this summer smile) Even when I had surgery, the nurses just taped over them.

laura2323 Thu 10-Apr-14 18:15:23

The only times mine has come off are when I was pregnant and when it needed resizing due to weight gain from said pregnancy! I keep it on all the time

Staryy Thu 10-Apr-14 18:11:31

I sleep in mine, but I do take it off for showering, cleaning etc. It wasn't a very expensive ring so I worry I'll damage it if I get it wet!

ouryve Wed 22-Jan-14 16:52:35

I usually never take mine off except when decorating or making pastry or something else messy. I have them off at the moment, though because the knuckles on that hand have been really swollen and tender and wearing them actually hurts.

FoxMulder Wed 22-Jan-14 16:46:55

When I was engaged I took the ring off every night. Once I forgot & smacked DH in the face with it (in my sleep!), and those diamonds are pretty sharp!

Now I'm married I don't take my wedding ring off though. It's smooth so no risk of injury!

sublimecorpse Wed 22-Jan-14 16:46:16

If you're the type of person who removes jewellery before bed then yes.

I don't take any of my jewellery off so mine stays on!

BonaDea Wed 22-Jan-14 16:42:28

I take my engagement ring off but the wedding band stays on always.

CooEeeEldridge Wed 22-Jan-14 16:39:47

Thanks bertie, I do wear a chain so could put it on also. I'd worry about that too though I think! The pocket thing is an odd one as I always have different gym clothes / bags. I think I'm going to keep it on for now and try and surreptitiously look at other peoples left hands.

In the back of my mind I think I'm reluctant to take it off also as I can't stop admiring it and it cheers me up to see it smile

I think if I was going to take it off for gym classes, I'd put it into a zipped inside compartment of my bag or something, always the exact same place and never put it down somewhere else first. I'm guessing a chain wouldn't be comfortable to wear in a gym class?

CooEeeEldridge Wed 22-Jan-14 15:04:36

I'm glad I found this thread smile, got engaged Christmas Eve, and generally keep some jewelery (thumb ring, necklace, bracelet) on permanently but normally take 'going out' rings off, I'm keeping my e ring on all the time at the mo, but I also have grubby horses to look after and do high impact, v sweaty gym classes, do people keep theirs on for gym things too? I want to, as I lose things, but worried I'll damage it in some way?!

Chlorinella Tue 21-Jan-14 20:32:17

I never take mine off .
One diamond fell out , and had to be replaced .
Claimed it on the house insurance .
(A small , not expensive engagement ring , been worn nearly 20 years )
My hand looked really strange with just a wedding ring on .

thenicknameiwantedisgone Tue 21-Jan-14 20:30:09

Mine always stays on in bed. The only time rings come off is if I am doing very messy cooking, like dough or making chicken burgers. I take them off to save picking bits of chicken mince out later!, then they go straight back on when i have clean hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now