Make up on the day

(13 Posts)
shesaidgleeba Wed 30-Oct-13 19:24:20

Is anyone paying for pro make up on the day? Do you think it's worth it? Are you having spray tans/eyelash tinting etc or is it a bit trashy?

Rosencrantz Wed 30-Oct-13 19:28:51

Go for what you think is beautiful.

I wouldn't let anyone come near me with a spray tan, but that's because I think pale and interesting with dark hair works best for me.

killpeppa Wed 30-Oct-13 19:34:28

I got my tan done, I'm a self-taught MUA so I did my own.
I couldn't get dressed up without lashes I think they open the eyes, you don't have to get huge big fluttery ones, eylure does natural looking ones that just enhance your own a little.

shesaidgleeba Wed 30-Oct-13 19:40:19

I think I need a bit of a tan (but never had a spray tan) and always wear lashes on a night out but was thinking about going to a salon and getting them done properly. Can't decide about make up though as mine doesn't last all day

killpeppa Wed 30-Oct-13 20:04:42

you can book in for a trial tan to see if you like it or not & they normally have a choice of light, medium or dark.

as for make up, if your comfortable doing it yourself then YouTube is the place to go for inspirationsmile
buy a good quality foundation- I recommend revlon colourstay as it does stay! and always set your foundation with a powder-no 7 does a great translucent one.

if you can do lashes yourself well & it wouldn't fluster you then dosmile I always use a felt tip liner on the lid first so when you apply the lashes you can't see the seam at all.

SuzySuzSuz Wed 30-Oct-13 20:25:43

I had spray tan (looked great on day but awful wearing off on honeymoon!), also got eye lashes tinted and curled a few days before. Plus got make up and hair done, was worth it for me so wasn't worried on the day and had budgeted in. The main thing though is get it all done on trial first so sure you like the style!

shesaidgleeba Wed 30-Oct-13 20:34:09

Thanks everyone, will check budget and go from there, also who do I offer to pay for make up for? My mum? Grooms mum? (We're not having adult bridesmaids)

SuzySuzSuz Wed 30-Oct-13 22:32:55

We offered use of mobile hairdresser who was doing my hair but had a nice clear mention that unfortunately I didn't have scope in my budget so they'd have to pay for their own hair/make up if wanted to use the mobile lady while there.

Mum used her and paid for herself and my sister's hair, SIL got completely ready elsewhere then came around, MIL got ready at home so didn't see her until the church. No issues caused with anyone smile

LondonNightmareInGhostlyBoots Thu 31-Oct-13 22:25:18

Everyone including me diy'd makeup at my wedding recently, I planned to get lashes done but didn't have time in the end. made no odds in the end!

I was considering a tan but my friend's rubbed off something awful on her wedding dress so decided against it, I think I looked fine and I'm pasty as hell!grin

WRT paying, my stance was if I'm making you have it I pay for it. i paid for the hair. But makeup people are happy to do themselves, hair is much harder.

PaperPomPom Sun 03-Nov-13 17:54:25

I had planned to get mine done, had the trial and HATED it. I cancelled my booking for on the day, blew the money I would have spent on Chanel make up and had a lesson with them. I felt much happier, and my day to day make up us better too as a result.

No tans, no eyelashes for me.

GertrudeWigglesworth Sun 03-Nov-13 18:47:34

When I got married age 20, to my now ex, my make up was hideous. I hated all the pics because of it as the makeup made me look so much older. In hindsight I picked the wrong person, she was in her 50s and not at all in tune with what I wanted. Definitely, go on a recommendation, be clear on what you want and have a practice run. Maybe take pics from a magazine to give the makeup artist a sense of what you want.

FeckinNC Sun 03-Nov-13 18:57:41

I had a MUA who also did my hair. No tan as olive skin but would def recommend false lashes. I had never worn them before, had the ones on that last about 2 weeks a few days before wedding so I could make sure I liked them/were comfortable. I have long lashes anyway but the difference the false ones made in photos particularly was amazing.

shesaidgleeba Sun 03-Nov-13 20:34:27

Thanks so much everyone, definitely leaning towards lashes but probably not a tan (I don't tan for a night out etc so would probably look unnatural) some people have suggested a few sunbeds but I can't bring myself to use them. Will have a look at YouTube and other peoples make up and decide, thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now