don't want wedding gifts - how to word invite?

(35 Posts)
whattodoo Sat 12-Oct-13 10:45:58

We've been together yonks. I've been married before.
This is going to be a low-key informal 'do' on a budget.

We don't want gifts, although I understand some (grandmas etc) may still want to give something.

We've thought about suggesting our guests give to charity, but that seems a bit haphazard if we don't nominate a specific charity. And I could honestly name dozens that I'd want to suggest.

So, what should we out on the invites to let people know that we honestly don't want them to spend their money needlessly?

specialsubject Sat 12-Oct-13 13:44:02

nothing wrong with puns, it is clearly miserable day here today.

I like the idea of saying what you've said. 'we've been together ages and are lucky enough to have all we need. Please no gifts - if you wish to mark the occasion, please donate to a charity of your choice'.

melliebobs Sat 12-Oct-13 13:45:48

Just don't mention anything about gifts at all? If someone gets u something fantastic n for the rest the pressure is off! But no poems. Never a poem grin

AuntieStella Sat 12-Oct-13 13:53:00

Don't say anything on the invitation.

If anyone asks, explain and offer the names of your preferred charities.

If you have a nice gossipy family member (one each side), make sure you tell them and they'll help spread the word for you.

whattodoo Sat 12-Oct-13 19:37:46

I love the "in lieu of gifts please consider a donation to the charity of your choice" suggestion.

Thanks all.

Mogz Sat 12-Oct-13 22:43:49

Glad to help smile

Nerfmother Sat 12-Oct-13 22:50:42

Please don't bring a gift; we would however welcome a card for our scrapbook.

Rotterwallah Sat 12-Oct-13 22:51:14

Why can't people just buy actual nice presents? I'd be thrilled to have nice gifts, things that people who know and love us thought it'd be nice to buy us , but I accept I'm unusual and have been waiting for 15 years for a fecking weddi g

MorrisZapp Sat 12-Oct-13 22:55:10

Oh no, she expects a gift. It is law. By saying there's nothing she needs, she means the ball is in my court.

And until she got ill, she always bought me a gift.

ZingWantsGin Sat 09-Nov-13 15:38:09

"Don't give us a gift
if you do, you're a git
come looking fit
that will be it."

how's that?grin

1974rach Sun 17-Nov-13 15:16:12

Got the same problem... although its a nice problem to have.

OH and I were stunned when we got engaged at the amount of lovely presents we recived. We weren't expecting anything and we we're really touched.

I love the idea of the oxfam gift list or asking people to make a donation to a charity of their choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now