Is it cheap and nasty to consider having wedding this way?

(60 Posts)
Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 12:37:38

Basically we do not have a lot of money to spend on our wedding. We want to get married next July, however we have nothing planned. Just can't afford it to be honest. We wanted a simple do in a barn/ pub with all our nearest and dearest only. Will be quite a few kids coming.
We have searched and searched, every where is too much for us.
We are now toying with the idea of getting married in Brighton- Bandstand or registry & strolling down to a'50's style American diner for burger, milkshakes and beers with chocolate wedding cake ( home made) for afters.
They have music , sound system or duke box (?) and it's decorated so no cost there. Will put the bridesmaid's in colorful knee lenth dresses. Will have it on a Sunday so dont need after do.
We obviously will need to try the food before hand. I like 'naice food'
We plan to get there Friday and leave Monday. Perhaps combining a joint hen/ stag if can afford it on the Friday night. By this I mean a comedy night with however wants to come along. Think about £10 per ticket.
That's it really. We seriously only have about £2000 to spend on this and we want people we love there only. Is this sounding ok? Or very tacky?

Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 13:05:13

Perhaps we should leave the hen night/ stag do then? We were only going to have one if it didnt eat into money that could be spent on wedding. We have a lot of couple friends and opposite sex friends each, so thought about just having an anyone come along type thing.
We have been together nearly 7 years and have 3dc so aren't fussed about our last single night.

Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 13:07:03

'single night' *

Floggingmolly Thu 10-Oct-13 13:12:23

It sounds fab smile

PrincessKitKat Thu 10-Oct-13 13:13:47

I think it sounds great! Really fun and creative & different! Can I come?! smile

If guests can't afford/ don't want to pay for a room then 40 minutes is close enough to drive/ train/ minibus home.
We set up our freebie wedding site with a car-share section - that might be useful if they all live reasonably close to each other? I think it was called 'gettingmarried.com'?

Have a wonderful day thanks

sillyoldfool Thu 10-Oct-13 13:13:58

Sounds fab, and if people didn't want to come for the whole weekend they could easily just come for the day, brighton has great travel connections. Way easier than a barn in the middle of nowhere!

harverina Thu 10-Oct-13 13:15:06

Sounds fab grin

Although if you fancied a registry office then dancing afterwards, have you looked at a local community hall or similar for the venue. You could make your own cold buffet and organise your own bar. Cheap and great fun grin

Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 13:17:40

BucketsnSpades I think it might be the same diner you went to.
Furrydog Just looked at Cloud 9 website- They are very good prices! Thank you for that. They look fab

Wonderstuff Thu 10-Oct-13 13:27:09

Sounds lovely. The best wedding I've been to recently was a church hall, they catered themselves by buying a big wicker hamper (sold later on eBay) for each table and filling it with picnic stuff from Waitrose, they had lots of children and put together some fair type games, coconut shy and the like. They had ice cream between the ceremony and the meal then a band, who were friends did music. It was lovey, and so much more personal than a hotel do. I personally think with weddings less is often more.

Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 13:50:49

I'm pleased now smile So is the general idea that the wedding is ok, just not the comedy night?

MrsLettuce Thu 10-Oct-13 13:55:28

The whole package sounds grand smile

Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 14:33:28

TheWoollysbacksWife [Sad]for you about your wedding.
Congratulations on 25 years nearly! Maybe you could renew your vows for your anniversary? Have what you want this time though...

Orangeworkclock Thu 10-Oct-13 19:34:32

So has anyone had anything like this?

bootsycollins Thu 10-Oct-13 19:38:26

That sounds ace, I'd love to go to a wedding like that, it sounds fun.

BikeRunSki Thu 10-Oct-13 19:44:42

Sounds original and memorable and a lot more fun than the many identikit country hotel/ long ivory dress/ chicken Kiev weddings I have been to.

stubbornstains Thu 10-Oct-13 19:48:34

It does sound lovely....Just a thought re: village halls- possibly it's the ones without websites you want to be looking for? In other words, the slightly less sussed ones- the ones with contact details tacked on a dog eared postcard on the noticeboard? My brother and SIL had their reception in the village hall in a v.v. posh village near Windsor (think Heston Blumenthal) and I don't think it was expensive at all.

Or...are your guests the types that like camping? Some campsites/ glampsites (????) will do weddings.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 10-Oct-13 19:52:46

I think your wedding plans sound lovely and certainly not cheap and nasty

Jenijena Thu 10-Oct-13 20:00:04

As a guest I'd much rather to go to a fun wedding where the hosts haven't got broke than a wedding just like everyone else's tens of thousands worth of country hotel.

Jenijena Thu 10-Oct-13 20:00:41

((Sounds fab, in case you hadn't understood! Congratulations!))

Thank you Orange I have got plans for an all singing all dancing silver wedding celebration grin

I am very lucky, I have a wonderful DH and 3 fabulous DCs. As a PP said it's not about the wedding really, it's about the marriage and I have learnt not to be such a people pleaser smile

Your plans sound brilliant. I am so having chocolate cake at my silver wedding.

InsultingBadger Fri 11-Oct-13 12:52:34

I think it sounds fab and I may steal your idea! smile

Orangeworkclock Fri 11-Oct-13 13:03:57

TheWoollysbackWife How lovely smile Chocolate cake is the way to go

I'm so pleased with the out come of this. It's decided!! Yay!

Now to work out logistics... confused

likeit Thu 09-Jan-14 17:59:52

Even I'm excited reading that! Bet you're guests will be really chuffed with that

BanjoPlayingTiger Thu 09-Jan-14 18:07:16

That sounds wonderful, but I am imagining loads of mumsnetters trying to discretely see your wedding at the bandstand, standing around all nonchalantly in hats. grin

RalphRecklessCardew Thu 09-Jan-14 18:57:37

Original, considerate, fun. Very good idea.

Trooperslane Thu 09-Jan-14 19:02:20

And another yes from me. Sounds great and nicely quirky without any trying too hard.

Exciting smilewinewinewinethanksthanksthanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now