Help me find a wedding dress

(14 Posts)
voscar Sat 28-Sep-13 19:30:41

Evening all!

We are getting married late next year and having a black tie party with an evening candlelit ceremony at 6pm. So no wedding breakfast, no speeches, no cake. No formalities etc.

I don't really feel a full on bridal gown to the tune of a grand is the right kind of dress for this? I'd still like a bridal gown but I'm really struggling to see anything more understated in bridal stores.

Can you help me please?

Inclusionist Sat 28-Sep-13 19:33:53

I was head over heels for a black wedding dress which had white voil layered over the top by Pronuptia.

DH vetoed a black wedding dress (I had to run it by him really grin ) but maybe you could get away with it for an evening do.

No idea if they still do it though. <unhelpful>

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Sat 28-Sep-13 19:37:06

Ooooh, virtual wedding dress shopping! I'll help look!

Ok, so what kinda thing are you looking for - colours you like/to avoid, shape, materials, budget?

cookielove Sat 28-Sep-13 19:44:37
Inclusionist Sat 28-Sep-13 19:56:42

The one I liked was a bit like this although there was a bit more white on the top layer.

Inclusionist Sat 28-Sep-13 19:57:01

Second one down, I should have said.

OBface Sat 28-Sep-13 19:57:15

Jenny Packham is your friend here - makes lovely evening gowns as well as having a bridal range. I wore this JP for my wedding.

voscar Sat 28-Sep-13 20:05:49

So I love the Jenny Packham knee length one on here -http://www.runbriderun.com/knee-length-and-short-wedding-dresses-from-runway-fall-2013.html

I'm thinking more this style. I'd like either cap sleeves or three quarter lace sleeves (so a strapless that could be teamed with one of those silly shoulder things would be ok?). I would consider floor length but I'm a 10/12 and wobbly so really tight or mermaid are out. I don't like anything that comes in at the knees.

Thank you all so much!!

voscar Sat 28-Sep-13 20:08:18

Cookie - I love the style of that damsel dress - but the daisy lace design is too much pattern for me. Def in the right direction though!

how about a Temperley?

OBface Sat 28-Sep-13 20:20:01

Temperley dresses are gorgeous.

Mandy21 Sat 28-Sep-13 21:41:25

Have you looked at Jim Hjelm Occasions? I can't work out how to do the link but if you google it, it'll come up. More evening / bridesmaid type dresses. There is a huge range of styles, you click on the style and then it gives you a swatch card underneath. Lots of creams / whites and other colours. Some stunning dresses.

If you still want to go for a formal wedding dress, have a look at Suzanne Neville, she has some gorgeous understated wedding dresses.

cookielove Sat 28-Sep-13 21:54:31

I got mine in Oxfam in Cambridge for £99. Think larger stores have a bridal section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now