another wedding thread... what to serve guests on arrival?

(16 Posts)
gillyweed Fri 02-Aug-13 08:43:24

In honour of all the recent bridezilla threads, I thought I would add my own!!!

Getting married in a few weeks; about 130 adults, 20 kids, all very low key - think village hall, bring a bottle, pot luck dessert, massive and abundant hog roast with salad, loads of booze. No cars or monkey suits, no favours etc. I've pretty much made everything I can and pulled in every favour off all our guests!

We are serving copious amounts of cava on arrival from the ceremony and I was going to serve mini tray bake bites (from asda...) like shortbread, muffins, flapjacks etc. and bowls of nuts and popcorn to keep people going (ceremony 2.30, dinner 5.30+). But now I'm panicing that this will look like I've just popped into asda on my way home and that it might be too 'sweet' for most people!

Money and time are tight, would prefer not to cook (unless it can be done the night before) or have to prep anything on the morning, will have 2 local ladies helping out with jobs but have no idea of their culinary skills!

All suggestions welcome!

TakingTheStairs Fri 02-Aug-13 08:53:13

It sounds like you've put lots of thought into your wedding day, but tbh, I'd prefer savory nibbles.
What about some small sandwiches? Cut into soldier or small square size? These could be made the night before?
Some homemade cheese straws with ready made pastry? Can be made the night before served cold and easy to make?

Try not to give yourself too much to do the night before, you'll be surprised how quickly time runs away from you!

gillyweed Fri 02-Aug-13 09:11:34

oh thank you!

Think sandwiches might be too time consuming; we got to decorate the venue the night before, really need something super quick to get ready.

Cheese straws are a great suggestion, I might fill a nice shallow basket full of them, nice tablecloth underneath! Easy and no mess to eat!

Tigglettchic Fri 02-Aug-13 09:15:37

oh your wedding sounds lovely. How about getting cocktail sausages and mini sausage rolls from asda when u buy the sweet nibbles??

such an awesome and by the sounds of it, very personal day! x

gillyweed Fri 02-Aug-13 10:31:37

yeah I thought sausage rolls and cocktail sausages... too many pork products with a hog roast too?

TakingTheStairs Fri 02-Aug-13 12:55:07

I don't think that will be too many pork products, they're presented so differently that I don't think people will immediately think that.

If it's not too hot, could you put out crisps & dips too?

Cheese straws, olives, naice crisps, mini sausages on sticks with honey and mustard glaze???

I wouldn't eat sweet cake type things with cava - think that would be very odd.

momb Fri 02-Aug-13 13:04:31

pretzels, nuts, crisps, olives.

Actually a simple cake with cava is quite nice: think of Pandoro or Pannetone at christmas or example, but agree withothers who say that flapjack and caramel shortbread maight be too sweet with sparkling wine.

Crazy4U Fri 02-Aug-13 13:04:57

Indian nibbles always go down well.

I thin olives, good nuts (not peanuts) and nice crisps too.

Pistachio nuts and roasted salted almonds would make me very happy.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Sat 03-Aug-13 22:16:58

You are such a thoughtful bride to do this! I can't tell you how many weddings I've been to where there are 4 or 5 hours between ceremony and food. You get very grumpy pissed up guests.

I would say to give yourself minimum fuss: shop bought cheese straws, mini sausages, bowls of grapes and posh crisps. It all just needs putting in a bowl.

Keep it simple. Nobody will mind if it's not Antipasti, they will just be glad their blood sugar hasn't plummeted into the grouchy zone.

Have a fantastic day.

Cups of tea ?

gillyweed Sat 03-Aug-13 22:46:54

Oh thank you! we realised early on in planning that what makes a good day is if everyone is happy, and that usually comes from being well fed and watered! Just want everyone to have a good time!

Grapes! brilliant idea, very simple but it will work - you need something to break up all the carbs and stodge! Super easy to serve too!

Eeek we've already got in peanuts (and cashews) will they not go down well?!!

We're having a separate bar that we're stocking initially and then with whatever people bring - but yes we realised some may want tea and coffee, so we have a little brew station sorted!

Cashews are lovely and peanuts are fine, don't worry! grin It's just nice to have something a bit nicer than peanuts but like another poster said, your guests will be happy to have something to eat! Peanuts are popular in pubs for a reason after all!

Grapes is a brilliant idea, I am writing that down in my wedding book.

raisah Mon 12-Aug-13 16:27:45

Go to costco or jjwholesale and buy huge catering packs of starters like sausage rolls, spring rolls, samosas, vol au vents etc. Buy a coupleof large quiches/ frittatas & cut them into cubes with a toothpick in the middle for easy picking. Delegate somebody to heat them through in the oven & serve them on large foil platters. I did this for my BILs wedding reception & it was v successful.

nilbyname Mon 12-Aug-13 17:08:06

I would give the sausage rolls and mini sausages a miss. Too porky.

Mini roast potatoes, fling loads of new pots on a baking tray with salt, pepper, olive oil, whole cloves of garlic and some large sprigs of rosemary. When roasted and cooled, open slightly, put half a teaspoon of cream cheese/Boursin and serve on a cocktail stick. Cheap and looks/ tastes delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now