Order of the day

(16 Posts)
Meringue33 Mon 29-Jul-13 12:20:23

Just wondering how we can fit everything we want to do into a single day! Please let me know what you think of the following... TIA!

12noon church service
2.30pm three course sit down meal
4.30pm speeches
6pm evening guests arrive
6.30pm ceilidh
8.30pm BBQ
Disco
Midnight close.

I hate the idea of a really long photo session but plan to get a few shots in between church and lunch. Think the service will be just under an hour and the venue is about five miles away.

Not sure when to fit in our 'first dance', not counting the ceilidh dancing? Venue proposed BBQ at same time as ceilidh but think that could lead to indigestion hmm. Maybe we should just have 'our song' as the last dance instead?

Meringue33 Mon 29-Jul-13 15:43:16

Bump!

BartBaby Tue 30-Jul-13 06:36:00

I didnt do most of those things at my wedding. We had ceremony at 1pm, followed by photo's and reception drinks. Afternoon tea around 3pm with very short thank you's once everyone had eaten, then the cake, and everyone was gone by 5.30pm. Me and dh then had a few hours to ourselves and a lovely meal later in the evening. We didnt have many guests though.

I think you're timings sound fine though. 8.30 does seem a little late for the bbq. You may have a lot of hungry guests by then. But you could always mention to them that the food is later so they can have a bigger lunch.

How long will the ceilidh last? And you could do your first dance after the bbq, before the disco. Then you can do your dance and then encourage others to get up to join in after.

Meringue33 Tue 30-Jul-13 15:56:17

Thanks Bart!

I guess we could have BBQ at 6.30pm, but then daytime guests may not be hungry, eve guests may be late and miss it, and people may not want to dance on a full stomach!

I like your idea about first dance. Only problem is there will be music on during BBQ too (reception is in country pub). But I suppose we could have a "background music" playlist while people are eating then turn the volume up for "disco" afterwards.

Am almost bottling it for first dance anyway as both DP and I are shy!

Ragwort Tue 30-Jul-13 15:59:39

Don't have a 'first dance' then, surely it is not essential and having a ceilidh will be a good way of avoiding it.

Sorry to sound like an old fogey but is it normal for the bride and groom to stay right to the end of the evening? Don't you have the 'going away' thing anymore and throwing the bouquet?

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Tue 30-Jul-13 16:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleBearPad Tue 30-Jul-13 16:12:45

The timings are fine but will you need a full BBQ if your having a three course wedding breakfast at 2.30. People at the reception will only have got up from the table at 5.30 if the speeches are at 4.30.

If I were coming as an evening guest I wouldn't expect to have a full meal. I would have something simple for evening eats like bacon sarnies, cheese and biccies or something like that. Then people can help themselves whils the ceilidh/disco are on.

I guess it depends what you mean by BBQ...

Shesaysso Tue 30-Jul-13 16:20:08

I would leave longer between your service and sit down meal - its suprising how long things take. You'll have people milling outside the church etc for ages and then they need to get to the venue.

Meringue33 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:45:35

Thanks guys, really appreciate this feedback!

We are planning to stay to the end, it's our party after all smile unless am too tired

The ceilidh is two 40 min sets with a 20 min interval.

The BBQ is mainly for the benefit of the eve guests I suppose. The venue have costed it on the basis of 2 burgers and a sausage per person, plus salads.

The venue did suggest ceilidh and BBQ at same time but I wasn't sure. I hate empty dance floors at weddings so didn't want to discourage people from getting up. On the other hand, we won't be able to have 100% of guests dancing at once due to space limitations!

Rag I'm tempted to use that "out". Tho, "our song" is brilliant and would be a shame not to dance to it somehow!

Meringue33 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:47:45

She, not too worried about that first gap as I think 90mins should be plenty of time. I loathe lots of milling about after church and we will probably lay on transport for guests.

LittleBearPad Tue 30-Jul-13 17:25:13

That's a lot of food for the BBQ. I presume it's based on total numbers not just additional evening guests. Some people may eat that much but most won't especially following a three course wedding breakfast if they've had that. Will you cut the cake for the evening guests too. I would really dial back the evening food.

Seconding the fact that 2.5 hour between service starting and sit down meal is probably about an hour too short

Meringue33 Tue 30-Jul-13 19:11:47

Little the BBQ is v cheap so not too worried about there being too much food. Good call on the cake, thanks!

I think 90 mins will be plenty of time to make a 20 min journey and get seated for lunch. I hate the dead time waiting for the main action at weddings (and have read lots of recent threads complaining about getting hungry!)

It's more the later on times/plans I'm worried about grin.

memphis83 Mon 05-Aug-13 20:39:54

We are getting married at 3, we plan to sit down for 5 to eat and have been told we can't fit a three course into two hours so have had to go for a two course meal. Its a lot of work behind the scenes to plate up and clear three courses.
We have had our timings sent to us and they suggested a first dance around 10pm but we are thinking of skipping it.

PrettyKitty1986 Tue 06-Aug-13 12:30:48

2pm Church Service
2.45 - 3.30 Church photos, group shots etc.
3.30 - 3.50pm Travel from Church to Venue for guests
3.50pm - 5pm Arrival drinks and mingling for guests when df and I are having pics first at church location, travelling to venue, then a couple at the venue. We have a caricaturist for 'entertainment' at the venue
5pm - Three course sit down meal
7pm - Speeches
7.45pm - Evening Guests arrive and DJ starts
8.30pm - First Dance
8.45pm - Buffet/BBQ (not yet decided)

This is a very rough guideline that we are still in the planning stages of. I would prefer to get married at 1pm so that there is a bit more time - but our wedding is a Sunday, so we are lucky that the Vicar is able to fit us in at all and 2pm is the earliest he can do.

My one concern is that as the meal is not until 5pm people will be hungry - although if you were invited to a 2pm ceremony, I would hope that most people will assume that the meal will be a 'dinner' and not a 'lunch' and have lunch before they attend?

I am more than open to any suggestions/comments on this timeline as it's by no means set in stone yet - the wedding is still months away!

LittleBearPad Tue 06-Aug-13 14:18:54

I would push the dinner back to 5.30 and invite evening guests for 8pm. Photos take surprisingly long and it's nice for the bride and groom to actually get to talk to their guests.

Why's the first dance 45 minutes after the DH starts ? Wouldn't it be first?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now