Ideas for an alternative wedding "cake"

(28 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 22-Jul-13 12:36:10

DP doesn't like cake, cheesecake or fresh cream.

I am very sweet toothed so don't want anything savoury like pork pie or cheese.

CMOTDibbler Mon 22-Jul-13 12:38:48

Why don't you have a stacked affair of layers of fruit cake and cheese? Or different sorts of cake too. It doesn't all have to be the same.

wintersdawn Mon 22-Jul-13 12:40:04

macaroons or meringues?

DoItTooJulia Mon 22-Jul-13 12:40:22

Croquembouche?

xalyssx Mon 22-Jul-13 12:41:27

Viennetta?

nappyaddict Mon 22-Jul-13 13:05:48

DP would probably love Viennetta grin but then there's the problem with it melting.

Doesn't Croquembouche have cream?

absentmindeddooooodles Mon 22-Jul-13 13:07:23

We are ha ring a giant recces peanut buttercup made :-) probably not that helpful

elQuintoConyo Mon 22-Jul-13 13:10:51

3 little individual chocs in a box for everyone?

All the weddings I've been to have cake after dessert when everyone's stuffed, then too drunk to eat it (but can throw it!), and there's stacks of it left at the end of the night.
I always take about 10 4 slices home myself for my family smile

I vote for a pp's suggestion if macaroons/macarons (however the frick they are spelt!).

Happy wedding thanks

Pascha Mon 22-Jul-13 13:12:00

I have two comments:

1. What does your DP like? Maybe get him to suggest something acceptable to him.

2. He is not actually going to see much of the cake once you ceremonially slice it. Can he not cope with looking at a basic fruitcake and just have a pork pie (or whatever) for himself instead?

momb Mon 22-Jul-13 13:14:39

http://www.mariannechua.com/alternative-wedding-inspiration-what-if-you-dont-like-wedding-cakes/

I like the idea of a huge pile of strawberries, then you can serve it with cream or icecream instead of dessert and save yourself some dosh!!

ShowOfHands Mon 22-Jul-13 13:15:48

SIL is having a cheese cake. Not a cheesecake, a cake of cheeses. See here.

What about this, my friend is having it for her wedding cake and I wan't one just for me

www.lickthespoon.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Marshmallow_Tower

thehomesecretary Mon 22-Jul-13 13:26:01

What about a doughnut cake

This looks lovely:

http://www.weddingelegancesd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Doughnut-Wedding-Cake-300x450.jpg

thehomesecretary Mon 22-Jul-13 13:28:17
MortifiedAdams Mon 22-Jul-13 13:31:23

Carrot Cake?

nappyaddict Mon 22-Jul-13 13:40:29

I like the strawberry tower. Could have that an one of those ice cream tricycles so people can pick from a selection of ice cream.

DXBMermaid Mon 22-Jul-13 13:44:34

Fudge?

momb Mon 22-Jul-13 13:45:04
nappyaddict Mon 22-Jul-13 14:17:05

A meringue/tart tower could work as well.

Pascha As a wedding is about celebrating the two of us, ideally I want everything to really represent us as people.

For the main course we are going to have lamb shoulder pot roast, venison, duck or black country wellington (faggot topped with mushy peas, wrapped in puff pastry baked until golden brown served with
a red wine sauce) These are meals we regularly eat at our favourite restaurant and are special to us.

DoItTooJulia Mon 22-Jul-13 15:59:42

Croquembouche is filled with creme patisserie usually, so no cream!

byanymeans Mon 22-Jul-13 23:14:58

Just pick one of your fav puddings. We are having two pies, his a cherry pie &mine a treacle tart. We didnt like the idea of costly wedding cake but we know people like to take photos so we thought we would have pies. smile

canyou Mon 22-Jul-13 23:28:21

we are having a 'cake' made. from jelly sweets from an olde world sweet shopgrin I am having cake to serve at the evening reception for the older more traditional family members who like cake and for my best friend who wants to take some home so she can put it under her pillow and dream of her future husbandhmm grin

I'd say ditch the whole idea of a cake and just have your favourite puddings, does your dp like puddings?

A pile of strawberries sounds divine.

nappyaddict Wed 24-Jul-13 09:46:25

Is Croquembouche filled with the same stuff as profiteroles or is it different?

Croquembouche is filled with like custard (creme patissiere) more like what you get in custard donuts

you could do a table of mixed mini desserts, so there is at least one he does like, with a tradional fruit cake in the middle, if you're wanting a cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now