Weekday weddings (Mon-Thu)

(16 Posts)
dinahthecat Sun 16-Jun-13 14:44:19

Have you had one? Been to one? How did it go?

We would save a lot by having our wedding on a Monday but I worry about inconveniencing our guests. We're looking at getting married next summer so everyone would have around a year's notice of the day. We've got around 70 people we wish to invite (2/3 family; 1/3 close friends).

byanymeans Sun 16-Jun-13 16:39:26

Ours is a thursday in august this year, but only with 4 guests who we told the year before.
It seemed from the info on the web that a weekday would be cheaper and easier then a weekend but because we are the only one that day at that registry office we had to get special premistion from the head registar. Its was no cheaper then a friday in the end andgetting people to belive its on a thursday when booking thing has been anorying but its a special date for us.
We are doing our family and friends after party on the friday a week after and even that has been meet with a few 'but its a week day' comments but its in the evening and i think most people are greatfull to still have there weekend free.
We choice the thurday because its our aniversary and its our day and our pocket paying so it made sence to be then.

stargirl1701 Sun 16-Jun-13 16:42:39

Nope. I am a teacher and I can't take a day off so if I am invited to a day wedding in term time (it's happened twice) I don't go.

wombatcheese Sun 16-Jun-13 16:58:37

I do think it's fairly inconsiderate. Many people will feel obliged to use up a precious day of annual to go.

Boosiehs Sun 16-Jun-13 17:00:58

We ha ours on a Friday. I've been to plenty of weekday weddings, and weddings abroad where time off was required. You go if you want to.

ethelb Sun 16-Jun-13 20:45:04

A lot of my relatives (including mum and best friend) and friends are teachers and a few are doctors. Others are freelancers so get no paid leave. So it would be a no go, no matter how long in advance they got notice of the wedding for a lot of them tbh. You would have to be happy for people to not be able to make it if public service workers, and your saving would be a day or more wages to people who are self-employed I'm afraid.

Not trying to be sarky though, if you were happy to lose a few guests it is a great way to cut the cost by an awful lot.

DeskPlanner Tue 18-Jun-13 16:43:12

Be prepared for a lot of people not to be able to make it. Some people can't easily have days off in the week, others might not want to use up a days leave to attend someone else's wedding.

twinklytoes Tue 18-Jun-13 23:12:48

we went to a colleagues wedding last year on a wednesday. we're all shift workers and we'd organised the rosters that everyone had the day off. i think it was actually only DH and myself that took annual leave as we're the managers.

tbh, if I was going for a weekday wedding then I'd go for a tuesday after a bank holiday and probably the tuesday after the late may bank holiday, if you wanted children present as it's always half term. Psychologically, guests would be welcoming an extra long bank holiday weekend rather than taking an odd day off.

PurpleBlossom Tue 18-Jun-13 23:17:10

I went to a Thursday wedding last year. I'm a Teacher and was allowed the afternoon off to attend.

It was fine, but lacked much of a 'party' atmosphere as most people had work the next day. All depends on the kind of wedding you want I guess?

Horsemad Wed 19-Jun-13 08:53:24

I purposefully chose a Fri (18 yrs ago now!) so we wouldn't have as many guests! grin It was our anniversary also, so that gave us another reason to go with that date.

dinahthecat Fri 21-Jun-13 12:45:17

Just wanted to thank you all for your comments!

We're going to look into Saturdays in November, as they are about the same price at most venues as Fridays in the summer. Fingers crossed it all works out!

A "precious" day of annual leave? hmm surely that's what AL is for?
I think a Monday is reasonable, we wanted to get married on a Tuesday (significant date for us) but we decided to get married on the Sunday before because it was the middle of the week, taking the first or last days of the week is easier I think. I have been to a wedding on a Monday before, it was great.

Kaliko1980 Fri 21-Jun-13 12:55:41

I wouldn't do it personally. A Monday wedding means people will have to take time off work - those who don't live locally might have to take the Tuesday off too.

I would rather go to a wedding in a cheap venue (local village hall) on a Saturday than a posh hotel on a Monday.

I went to a Thursday wedding and it was pretty bad - no one was really in the mood / drinking / dancing and most of the guests had left but 10pm as they had work in the morning.

I would only attend a weekday wedding if a very very close friend .

FeetUpUntilChristmas Mon 05-Aug-13 05:57:48

My DSis got married on the Friday before the Late May Bank Holiday, as the venue they wanted was available and only had 1 wedding on a Friday whereas the cater for 2 on a Saturday. It was also cheaper. No teachers in our immediate family so no problems there. DDs and nieces were the bridesmaids and were given the day off school (all at same local primary).

No-one close declined the invitation because of work, everyone just enjoyed a 4-day weekend.

PrettyKitty1986 Tue 06-Aug-13 12:33:48

I wouldn't do it - a Monday-Thursday wedding means that guests will have to take one day off work and for those that want a late night, two.

My wedding is on a Sunday - late nighters wanting to take off the Monday is the maximum I would inconvenience my guests really, but knowing that most people will be able to attend with no time off work was important to me.

londonchick Fri 09-Aug-13 09:50:20

We went to a Thursday wedding last year. Bride and groom don't work so didn't affect them but lots of people had to take 1 or 2 days off work and one of the bridesmaids was a teacher who had no end of trouble getting the time off. She had to leave really early to travel back for work on the Friday.

We got married on a Sat in November. Lovely bright day. Prices were great and it was bonfire weekend so great fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now