Table Centre Pieces - What do you think of my ideas?

(16 Posts)
NumTumDeDum Mon 29-Apr-13 17:42:41

I've come to the realisation that I cannot afford what I would ideally like for my table centre pieces for the reception. I have also been stressing about the cake. What would you think if I were to put a cake on every table in the centre, decorated with ribbon and wired ribbon flowers and iced the top with the table number? Surrounding the cake I was thinking of just tea lights in votives. Possibly I could put a circle of organza on the table underneath in my colour (lilac - I know, very original...). If I did this I would probably just order the plain iced sponge from M&S for the purpose and forgo having a tiered cake as everyone would have a cake to share on the table.

Crawling Mon 29-Apr-13 19:42:34

It sounds like perfect genius idea I like it.

NumTumDeDum Mon 29-Apr-13 19:48:25

oooh I just spoke to dp and he likes this idea too, it might well have legs!

moondog Mon 29-Apr-13 19:49:30

Sounds lovely!
It would be quite fun to cut them all at the same time too.

MiconiumHappens Mon 29-Apr-13 19:53:02

Lovely idea - go for it! smile

violetbean Mon 29-Apr-13 20:04:19

Brilliant idea! smile

If you are hiring a venue, make sure you consider the logistics:

1. How to transport all the cakes to the venue without damaging the icing
2. How many extra knives you will need to cut the cakes
3. Whether the venue allows open candles / tea lights
4. Who will do the table decorations (on the day / night before?)
5. Whether the cakes come with bases and if not, whether the venue would freak out at people cutting cakes straight onto the cloth.

Really do love the idea. Friend of mine had Victoria sponges for each table at an afternoon tea at her wedding and people loved it, although they felt very full afterwards as they were huge cakes! grin

Smartiepants79 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:07:40

Sounds like a great idea. Could be very beautiful and a real talking point.
I would prefer a few (cheap) fresh flowers myself.
This
downtherabbithole.co.uk/my-wedding-cakes/cerise-pink-wedding-cake
Is simple but lovely, and visually has quite an impact.

NumTumDeDum Mon 29-Apr-13 20:20:33

Thanks everyone. Good idea about the logistics violetbean, I've got an appointment at the end of the week to talk to the lady at the venue about all such details, menu and decorations and such (decoration is also testing me sorely!). I was thinking I might provide vintage plates or leave them on the silver cake board they come with. I will ask if they have enough cake slices and if not consider purchasing some specially. I did want glass cake stands but then it pushes the price up towards the beautiful candelabras with fresh flowers that I wanted. I have a note scribbled somewhere about asking about candles, but you have reminded me thank you - I need to collect up my various scraps and put them together.

Smartiepants79 I like that cake, and I see what you are saying about fresh flowers, I was steering away on the basis that I could then do the cakes myself in advance but I suppose it would really only take minutes to stick a fresh flower cake topper on. I will ask the florist about this when I speak to them this week. Maybe I can run to some flowers which tie in with my bouquet. I am determined to go with flowers which will be in season, no imported blooms as that will cause the price to rocket.

BackforGood Mon 29-Apr-13 20:20:47

Sounds like a massive amount of work, when, in all honesty, who can ever tell you what the table decorations were at any weddings they've been to ? confused

Crawling Tue 30-Apr-13 07:26:47

If you do wany flowers fake are cheap on ebay here

NumTumDeDum Tue 30-Apr-13 11:27:48

Thanks Crawling, but even those are out of my price range. I've had to bin the professional photographer as well. Mind you, I do think that is a good value package if your budget is a bit bigger than mine.

NumTumDeDum Tue 30-Apr-13 11:29:12

Yeah I see your point Backforgood but I know I notice and a lot of my relatives will. I don't mind the time and effort as long as I'm happy with the end result.

sashh Wed 01-May-13 09:43:08

The last wedding I went to had cupcakes for the centre piece, very nice, go for it.

DeskPlanner Wed 01-May-13 09:44:45

It's a great idea, really unusual. But I would get the cakes from Tesco, rather than M&S. They do lovely plain wedding style cakes, you could decorate yourself. Maybe with a flower or bit of ribbon. Much better value than M&S.

NumTumDeDum Wed 01-May-13 22:21:30

Tesco? Ok will have a look thank you. I think a taste test is in order!

Smudge588 Fri 10-May-13 19:22:23

for cake stands one idea I've seen is to glue a upside down glass to the bottom of a plate as a cake stand. looks really nice and you could get cheap glasses and plates from charity shops. no idea what sort of glue though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now