Barn worries

(14 Posts)
Gingerandproud Sat 16-Mar-13 23:53:32

I really wanted a hotel wedding but the more I look at barns the more I like them. My big worry is accommodation for guests and us. Had anyone had a non hotel venue. What were the practicalities of this?

Really would appreciate advice I'm a bit lost!

LaminateFlaw Sun 17-Mar-13 00:43:13

Not a barn, but we are having a non hotel venue. People are staying in B&Bs in the village we are marrying in or in hotels in the closest towns (between 2 and 10 miles away) and driving/getting a taxi.

I've been to a wedding and there was no accommodation for about 15 miles. We booked in and organised a taxi for 6 of us and split the cost. It doesn't bother me too much to be honest.

fatnfrumpy Sun 17-Mar-13 21:37:13

Our Wedding venue has camping space for guests. Can your guests camp at the Barn?

Gingerandproud Tue 19-Mar-13 21:14:48

The ones we are looking at dont offer camping. We have also spread the net wider and are now lookingg at some hotels. Hope we find something!

Gingerandproud Tue 19-Mar-13 21:15:48

Sorry should have said looking at chain hotels as they seem more affordable.

momb Thu 21-Mar-13 11:28:08

We're getting married in a barn venue and are providing our guests with details of the local premier inn/travellodge/B+Bs. We'll also arrange a minibus to the hotels if enough people want it.

twinklytoes Sun 24-Mar-13 07:09:39

we went to a barn wedding where there was a house on site that had enough B&B rooms for the direct wedding party. the couple laid on a coach for all other guests for the nearest travelodge.

Bue Mon 25-Mar-13 23:34:32

Most weddings I've been to have not been at hotels. People just stay in nearby hotels/B&Bs etc. Just provide a list of accommodation options with the invitation. A coach is a great option too if you can afford it - that's what we did as most people stayed at the same hotel near our venue.

fatnfrumpy Wed 27-Mar-13 16:13:05

Slightly different but what about a marquee inthe countryside?
Not a barn but you could find somewhere totally private to hold your wedding reception and your guests could stay for the weekend too.
for example we have a venue in Kent but there are otheres around the country esp on landhie.co.uk
We do not charge for the hire of our land if we are catering at the Wedding. We also are licenced for a cash bar. We do not charge corkage to serve your own wines/champagne.
Our local marquee company can erect a marquee to seat 100 guests for around £2/3,000 depending on your requirements.
We are in the process of arranging a website for the marquee area but I can email some photos to you.
We have a paddock for the marquee overlooking fields and ancient woodland, with horses and sometimes deer. Another for car parking, another if your guests want to camp overnight. There are also B&B's in the village and a premier Inn 5 miles away. We are five minutes away from Knole park and 15 minutes from Penshurst Place where past brides have used as a backdrop for their photos before coming on to the reception.
Just another option for you to think about!

fatnfrumpy Wed 27-Mar-13 16:15:27

landhire.co.uk even!

wonkylegs Wed 27-Mar-13 16:23:28

We went to a fab wedding in a tiny Yorkshire village hall which was fab. The hosts booked out every holiday cottage,pub & b&b in the vicinity. Everyone sorted their own transport out in the day, left their cars in the village overnight and hosts organised taxis at midnight for each group.
We all paid for our own accommodation & taxis but because the hassle factor of the logistics had been sorted out by the hosts nobody minded and it was ace.
We went to another wedding at a country house that hadn't got accommodation either.
This time we had to make our own way to the church, then old fashion buses had been booked to take us to the venue and coaches & minibuses at 12 & 1am back to the city centre. Most people who stayed then got accommodation in the city. I think the main wedding party were all in the same hotel.

mistlethrush Wed 27-Mar-13 16:35:42

We had our reception in a barn. We provided people with a list of the nearby B&Bs and booked one group into a place that had 8 rooms - including the ushers, best man, organist, groom (just the night before, obviously!) and bridesmaid so that we knew they'd all have something.

Had a wonderful day in relaxed surroundings.

Gingerandproud Thu 28-Mar-13 19:01:55

Thank you so much for all your help. Will be l

Gingerandproud Thu 28-Mar-13 19:02:47

Sorry posted to early!

I will have a good look this weekend at all suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now