Help me pick the booze for my wedding please?

(35 Posts)
gillyweed Fri 01-Mar-13 19:52:47

We are getting wed late summer and are having a village hall type affair complete with hog roast and 'bring a plate' dessert table (only asking for desserts from family and physically close friends)!

I'm trying to work out how much drink we need; we will have 130 adult guests (30 odd kids), 3pm till midnight, the hall has no licence so we are asking on the invite for everyone to b.a.b.

So.... I reckon you get 5 glasses out of a bottle of wine. We are on a very tight budget, but we think the most important thing for our guests to have a good day, is the food and drink.

Does this sound reasonable:

- 2 glasses of fizz on arrival
- 1 glass of fizz with toast
- 2 glasses of wine or 2 beers
(working on the basis 1/2 will drink white, 1/4 red, 1/4 beer)

Is this too little, too much, we don't want to run dry!?

Any suggestions on how to keep this all cold all day and night would also be appreciated, as would suggestions for v. cheap but decent cava/prossecco! wink

Thanks in advance!!!!

gillyweed Sat 02-Mar-13 11:29:39

alibean - some great suggestions! will have a word with my caterer!

ScreamingFoxtrots Sat 02-Mar-13 12:05:39

If you're going to look at the Sainsburys route then I heartily recommend their Taste The Difference prosecco. It's lovely stuff, and seems to always be on offer.

ohforfoxsake Sat 02-Mar-13 16:29:24

I think your wedding sounds amazing! If I was invited to a BAB I'd think 'whey-hay' and just know its going to be a good 'un! And I'd probably bring more than one bottle.

I've been to free bar weddings. They are bloody messy. I've been to weddings where the wine stopped through the meal. Neither are great, it sounds like you're getting it right smile

gillyweed Sat 02-Mar-13 19:09:52

Oh thank you foxsake, that's exactly what I hope our guests think!

boxoftricks Sat 02-Mar-13 19:19:07

GILLYWEED it is NOT too late to get a TEN (temporary event notice) if I remember correctly, it's 21 days notice. The next link is for a village hall that I randomly found, but if you google temporary event notice, village hall and then your council, it will all be clear www.rotherfieldvillagehall.org.uk/Documents/TENS%20permission.pdf

A standard wine bottle is 750ml. A pub serves 175ml or 250ml as standard and large size glasses. Unless you are using v small glasses, people will pour at least half a glass (175ml)

Can you get yourself to a cash and carry for the bubbles?
Do you know anyone that runs a pub/restaurant that you could buy it from at cost from them?

gillyweed Sun 03-Mar-13 09:13:49

Thank you boxoftricks! Its not just the time to get a licence, its also the cost and hassle - I know bring a bottle to a wedding is a little unusual but our wedding will be too, I hope it sets the tone for the day in many ways!grin

Well I spent last night scouring the internet for prossecco/cava/fizz deals - I've selected about 5 (based on all your wonderful suggestions!) and am going to do a blind tasting next week with the fam for mothers day, see if their taste buds really are that good!

Majestic really wasn't that cheap, but they won't loan glasses without a proportionate amount of alcohol - think I will go in for a chat with a branch manager. Oddly their party calculator worked out pretty much the same amount of drink as I did - that's without knowing about b.a.b!

I'm thinking empty everyone's freezers the week before, fill with ice, use in buckets on the day and beg, steal and borrow all the fridges and cool boxes I can!!!

I think your wedding sounds fab gilly, I think byob at weddings is a billiant idea and ensures a good night!

Rootvegetables Wed 13-Mar-13 11:44:23

The place we are getting our marquee from hire out catering fridges, about £60 for the weekend, does somewhere near you do anything like this?

gillyweed Wed 13-Mar-13 17:29:53

deadbody - Ahhhh thank you, hoping all our guests have that attitude! grin

root - great idea, I've found a catering company that does fridges for about the same price (and also glasses, plates etc) so thinking I might go with that, maybe 1 fridge and 1 freezer (quick chilling and ice!) just got to clear with the venue that we're ok to plug a couple in!

I've been doing quite a bit of research on wine/fizz in supermarkets - Aldi seem to have the cheapest and most 'awarded' wine going so I think we might do a few trips... I need 81 bottles of fizz alone!!!

greenplastictrees Thu 14-Mar-13 14:27:46

Hello, don't think you said where you are but if you are near a ferry port have you considered a quick trip to France for the drink? We have found one which is £22 return and the wine works out much much cheaper there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now