can I suggest alternative outfit for DS?

(10 Posts)
mamapants Sat 02-Feb-13 19:37:12

My son is going to be a pageboy at his aunties wedding but I'm not keen on outfits she was talking about getting, would it be offensive to suggest alternatives?
Is that too interfering and should I just dress him in whatever she wants?
This is SIL by the way not DSis who I would just be honest and say I wasn't keen.

NatashaBee Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:05

Is she paying? If so, I'd just put up with it. If you're paying, I thnk it's reasonable to ask (nicely) if you can have a say in the outfit to make sure it's something that you can use again.

mamapants Sat 02-Feb-13 22:00:53

Not sure who is paying. I'm assuming she is but I'd be happy to especially if I then get to choose. Its very early on but she seemed keen but haven't been trying anything on yet won't be able to till nearer the date to make sure they fit. So maybe just see what happens on shopping trip but was wondering about mentioning that I'd seen nice ones somewhere else or if that would seem pushy.

pippop1 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:57:42

Could you send a link in an email and just say that you saw these and wondered what she thought of them? She might even be pleased that you are showing some interest?

MortifiedAdams Sun 03-Feb-13 15:02:38

Its not your place to be keen or not on his outfit of she is paying. What exactly is the problem with it?

She wants the wedding party to wear a certain style so that is par for the cpurse at accepting pageboy/BM duties. Like how some brides dress their maods in heinous dresses - suck it up.

Bessie123 Sun 03-Feb-13 15:07:10

What is the outfit? Is it knickerbockers or one of those horrible suits from m&s or John Lewis? If so I reckon your son will thank you for speaking up.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sun 03-Feb-13 15:09:17

If he is a pageboy then he should really wear what they have chosen.

meditrina Sun 03-Feb-13 15:23:42

As he is a pageboy, asking for a different outfit is the same as asking if a bridesmaid can wear something else. I think that would be wrong. But if you really don't want him to dress in her choice of outfit, you could decline the opportunity to be a member of the bridal party and have him at ten as unordinary guest in whatever you want him to wear.

Or just grin and bear it, stash an alternative outfit in the boot, and spill a huge glass of water all over him as soon as all the photos are taken.

mamapants Sun 03-Feb-13 18:23:52

I guess consensus is to say nothing then. Although to clarify she hasn't actually 'chosen' said outfit if she had that would be that. just said she likes ones in a certain shop so I went on website to look at them and thought they were bleurggghhh. They all have horrid swirly waistcoat things. They won't be matching the grown up suits as wedding party will just be wearing 'normal' suits.
Would never refuse him being part of the wedding party - bit harsh 'no your nephew will not be your pageboy as I do not like your taste in suits'
I know I'm being silly but will be pfb first ever suit and want to be able to look at the photos forever

MortifiedAdams Sun 03-Feb-13 18:38:48

You do realise it's her wedding and not your sons, yes? Hehe and people wonder why some brides have child-free weddings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now