Wedding Dresses - cheap and quick (not internet)

(8 Posts)
BettyandDon Sat 19-Jan-13 12:34:10

I have never ventured on to this board so be gentle...

But, I am getting married this summer and need a wedding dress! Having just had a baby, I have been putting off thinking about it as I had no idea how fat I would be smile

But now I need to get moving...

I have a a budget of about £1k and am in SW London/Surrey. As I have a toddler and a newborn, I do not think I am going to be able to do a lot of shopping, so I therefore want to streamline the buying process by:

1 - find a style I like (short 5'1 about a size 12 but shrinking! - big boobs, a bit wide on the hips) - can anyone recommend sites / blogs etc that might cover dresses in my budget ? (can only find v expensive couture ones)
- I want an embroidered, flowery dress - I like this one but its from 2009m and probably a bit expensive...

[http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/229890/floral-wedding-gowns#234864]

- find a dress I like or 2 (my shortlist)

- go and try them on (preferably visit 1 shop and love it)

- buy it.

I do not want to venture into online buying - too stressful and I need to have a shop nearby to tailor it as I am dieting like mad. I am not sure if my budget covers proper shops?

Can anyone who has done this advise on whether I am dreaming to make it this easy ???

Any advice much appreciated.

Please note - I will be doing this all myself as I don't have adult bridesmaids - only kids...

Scheherezade Sun 20-Jan-13 08:50:01

Find out if any of your local dress shops are having a sample sale soon - I got my dress half price.

Scheherezade Sun 20-Jan-13 08:50:16

Meant to add - they may be some that are having a sale right now as part of January sales.

Scheherezade Sun 20-Jan-13 08:51:32

Aaaah sorry! Don't worry about tailoring - any seamstress can do it. I bought my dress as a sample. It doesn't fit (no wedding dress does, they all need slight adjustments because of the boning and variation in bust sizes, length etc), so I've found a seamstress via the yellow pages who will alter it one month before the wedding for £50.

BettyandDon Sun 20-Jan-13 16:56:01

Thanks!! It's a case of you don't know what you don't know with this one. I found a website with sample sales on it...

Scheherezade Mon 21-Jan-13 12:30:44

Also try monsoon, BHS. Bridal shops charge average 1.5k for designer dresses. These also take 6 months to order, so you'd need to order in the next few weeks.

Tingalingle Mon 21-Jan-13 12:36:13

Does it need to be new?

I ask because our local Oxfam has such gorgeous dresses in it sometimes I could almost be tempted to do the whole thing again.

Scheherezade Mon 21-Jan-13 14:16:30

TK maxx have launched a new online bridal boutique too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now