How much did you pay for suit hire...

(7 Posts)
DesperatelySeekingPomBears Wed 29-Aug-12 15:40:09

DP and I are starting to plan our wedding so I've started looking for quotes for suit hire from the big name high street places (Greenwoods, Burton etc) and all are returning £90+ for a morning suit. DP wants us to hire suits for him, his dad, my stepdad, his best man, his bro in law, my brothers x 3, our son and his nephew. Although three of the suits will be for children it will still be £700+!

Surely there are cheaper places to hire from, or is DP being a bit willy nilly about who will wear a damn morning suit (fwiw we're having approx 100 guests - so 1/10 will be in blood morning suits!).

ViviPru Wed 29-Aug-12 21:25:04

You don't have to hire suits you know. It's very common for the male members of the bridal party to wear their own suit - you can provide them all with a tie in the same colour and buttonholes to identify them as a group. Which is far preferable IMO to nasty ill-fitting hired suits.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Wed 29-Aug-12 21:35:25

Vivi there is nothing I would love more than for him just to wear his rather lovely suit, that fits him perfectly. However, he has turned into the ultimate groomzilla. In an ideal world he'd want a kilt, in his rare family tartan never gunna happen

As a compromise, he has agreed to wear a nasty ill fitting hired suit beautiful morning suit, along with his absolutely essential groomsmen.

Your wedding sounds amazing by the way, I am deeply jealous grin

ViviPru Wed 29-Aug-12 21:49:43

Oh Pom, can't you talk him out of it? It was like dancing with a mascot at a football match when DP was best man in a hired suit, it had such an air of crispy cheap fancy dress about it... Can't you show him some swank-arse photos off a cool blog with all the chaps in their own suits? I could help you find one...

And I'm sad that you are jealous... why don't you think your wedding's going to be equally as amaze? (Apart from the hired bri-nylon)

ClicksArse Sat 01-Sep-12 18:03:50

I had similar problems with my DH and his morning suit delusions aspirations.

We eventually hired from a Leeds based company called Formally Yours (you'll have to Google as I can't link on my phone) who are based totally online and were really helpful. They charged £60 per suit, including insurance, and delivered them all to us in plenty of time for the 4 best men hmm to try them on and change all the bits that didn't fit because they'd all got so drunk during the "measuring party" that they couldn't stand still and upright for long enough for me to get at them with the tape measure.

I was really impressed with the company and the quality of the suits was no worse than local places I'd looked at who wanted to charge me twice the price.

itsjustmeanon Mon 10-Sep-12 14:21:46

We had nine adult suits, and it cost £900. I found somewhere cheaper, but DH wanted to get the suits from the same place his sisters had (he'd been an usher for both of them), as the staff were really nice, and the suits all fitted perfectly. We could have had nine suits for £600.

He kept going on that he never told me what I was wearing as the bride, or gave me a dress budget etc.

The waste of money irritated me, but I went along with it. We had a very traditional church wedding, and morning suits was expected. Our parents paid for the wedding.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Mon 10-Sep-12 19:58:27

I've tracked down a local suit hire place that will do the 7 men and 3 children for £400 after I bullied the manager into submission. Quite pleased with that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now