What colour bridesmaids dresses did you have?

(36 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 26-Aug-12 04:39:22

Most of my friends have bagsied the obvious wedding colours of red, burgandy, baby pink, fuschia, lilac, bright purple, plum, baby blue, royal blue, aqua/turquoise, black, cream, white, silver, gold, light brown.

I like teal, navy, grey and green but not sure what shade.

EdithWeston Sun 26-Aug-12 05:25:47

'the obvious wedding colours of ... black' confused

Of the colours you are considering, I think teal would be by far and away the best, but I don't actually expect you to agree with my reasons: a) any shade of navy will look black in photos and the colour of mourning and funerals is inappropriate for so many, and b) green is traditionally considered poor form for the bride ('married in green, ashamed to be seen') and so by extension that could apply to bridesmaids. That leaves teal - greenish, but not actually green, and I think it's a lovely colour.

However OP suggests that you are not bothered by conventions on wedding colours, and so I'm assuming you won't be bothered about a wider audience (ie the congregation) thinks, so anything would do - including colours already used by family/friends.

Wha colour/s do you actually like?

nooka Sun 26-Aug-12 05:37:54

I'd choose a colour or colours that I thought suited my bridesmaids and that I liked (I had one bridesmaid in pink and one in green, the third one would have worn royal blue but was unfortunately ill). Does it really matter what your friends chose?

One of my friends had sage green which looked very nice.

ExasperatedSigh Sun 26-Aug-12 06:11:39

A sort of dark emerald green. It looked fabulous on my dark haired, pale skinned bridesmaids smile Also complimented my dress, thus fulfilling both my requirements.

nappyaddict Sun 26-Aug-12 17:41:55

I quite like this sort of colour not sure what you'd call it.

2 or 3 people I know have teamed black with silver, cream or white for their colour scheme so it seems it is quite popular for weddings at the moment.

I wouldn't want them to be offended or annoyed that I'd "copied" them. Wouldn't be bothered if they weren't close friends or family or if they hadn't all got married in the last couple of years.

nappyaddict Sun 26-Aug-12 17:42:18

Exasperated Do you have pics of the emerald green dresses?

nancerama Sun 26-Aug-12 17:45:36

I had a pale sagey green. Our reception was by the Thames at a venue surrounded by weeping willows, so I wanted to go with natural colours. The inside of the venue was also decorated with similar colours, so I didn't have to spend a fortune dressing the room to a theme. It's much more cost effective to theme the wedding party to suit the venue.

nancerama Sun 26-Aug-12 17:47:29

Actually nappyaddict I've just clicked on your link. That's exactly the colour I had.

<whispers> you'll find BHS carries a lovely range in that colour, although their stock may be running low now.

BackforGood Sun 26-Aug-12 17:48:49

I'm shock that people would have black for bridesmaid dresses !

Like nooka, I'd go looking with my bridesmaids and try to find a colour that suited them all. I wouldn't worry if it had been worn at another wedding I'd been to. confused

mistlethrush Sun 26-Aug-12 17:48:54

My bridesmaid has flaming red hair - we made a dark green dress for her and it looked lovely - and looked great with all the flowers

ExasperatedSigh Sun 26-Aug-12 19:34:39

Sorry nappyaddict, they were custom made so I only have photos of my bridesmaids in them, and I don't want to post them here smile They were lush though!

mistlethrush Sun 26-Aug-12 21:53:58

We had baby pink, but have noticed lots of more 'vintage' colours this year, sage green, dusky pink etc and some patterned dresses too.

IceCubes Sun 26-Aug-12 22:02:30

I had electric blue, it was awesome! grin

I did see some pictures of a wedding recently where the bridesmaids wore ivory wedding dresses (as did the bride!) You couldn't really see from the pictures who the bride actually was. Bit of an odd choice in my opinion.

I think emerald green is quite a good choice or Tiffany box blue as it suits most skin tones.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Sun 26-Aug-12 22:11:50

I had a teal colour for my bridesmaid.
She was blonde with blue eyes so looked lovely with her colouring. I agree with the previous poster who said vintage type colours are in. Very romantic.

teachpeach Sun 26-Aug-12 22:18:38

I had 3 different colours - silk dresses in pale pink for my 3 little bridesmaids, and then pale lavender for a 19 yr old bridesmaid and grey/ green for a 28 yr old bridesmaid. Older 2 also had slightly different style dresses. I thought it looked fab!

nappyaddict Mon 27-Aug-12 00:36:05

mistlethrush That link doesn't seem to work.

thenightsky Mon 27-Aug-12 00:38:06

Lilac and dark purple

NoComet Mon 27-Aug-12 01:15:02

Flower girl, Same white fabric as my dress with a pale blue sash.
My sister (19) a pretty liberty's print of little blue flowers made into a slightly posh summer dress, she didn't want a long shiny dress.

The DDs have been gold and Fuchsia pink.

mirai Mon 27-Aug-12 04:04:03

Mistlethrush, that's a lovely colour smile

Justadreamer Mon 27-Aug-12 04:10:40

I had baby lemon colour. Our colour was yellow but NOT canary yellow grin

cazboldy Mon 27-Aug-12 05:02:28

jade green

Rachog Mon 27-Aug-12 05:14:41

Charcoal grey, looked very elegant. My coulor scheme was charcoal grey and dusky pink, the flower girl had an ivory dress like mine with a pink sash. The men had grey suits with pink ties.

I choose grey for my bridesmaids as one was a larger lady and grey looked more flattering, one was a butch lesbian who had never worn a dress before and pink was pushing her a bit far and the third just prefered it.

Rachog Mon 27-Aug-12 05:15:15

I really liked the colour you linked too BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now