To ask how much your wedding dress cost?

(327 Posts)
Ambrosius Tue 21-Aug-12 16:31:43

Because I can't find the bloomin' Weddings topic!
I'm getting married sometime next year and I have no idea how much anything costs.
So go on how much was yours? grin

Sucksoutthejoy Thu 17-Jan-13 01:14:40

No perspective here, £2,000 for dress, £3k all in. Pronovias double layered lace with cathedral lace edged veil. Getting married this year

mmmmsleep Wed 16-Jan-13 03:31:57

400 inc alterations. Maggie sottero from ebay...was a cancelled wedding. Love it. It's one day keep that in perspective with cost...

M0naLisa Wed 16-Jan-13 02:29:27

£40 Alfred Angelo from eBay.
Dad and stepmum bought me it after showing me it. When I saw it I fell in love with it so they bought it grin

Originally it cost £1500 but the girl selling wanted rid ASAP after her new failed marriage. No photos of the dress being worn as ride 'had ripped then up' shock (wonder what happened there then)

It was perfect, gorgeous. Now it's in a bag in our bedroom.

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 09-Jan-13 22:44:46

£225 in 1999. Forever yours. It was a one off sample the shop had been sent and it was the first one I tried on. Big pouffy princess/ballerina tulle skirt with a halter neck with collar. Gorgeous.

bubbles1231 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:31:52

£180 fifteen years ago. Bought it in my lunch hour much to my mother's horror, who had a day out planned shopping for it. It fitted like a glove & needed no alteration. I donated it to a charity shop 8 years ago before a house move (still happily married BTW)

1Catherine1 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:28:03

£85, 5 weeks ago - ebay from China. An absolutely gorgeous dress. I love it, although there was a mark on the front of it which my mum though was done while making so it cost me an extra £60 to get it dry cleaned prior to the big day. So I guess £145 in total.

BestIsWest Wed 09-Jan-13 22:16:14

£480 in 1987. I wanted something plain, long sleeves, heavy satin. In the second shop we visited the saleswoman insisted I try on a new dress they'd just had in as she wanted to see it on someone tall. I fell for it. It was a typical 80s Diana-Style meringue, huge lantern sleeves, ivory silk and lace and pearls. I adored it.

Wore it with a pearl and crystal tiara and a veil.

I still have it in the back of the wardrobe. Can't imagine parting with it

About £100 (12 years ago) for the fabric and made by a relative, no headdress or tiara or anything to bump the cost up either, it was a very simple long shift dress. Haven't got the faintest idea where it is, must be at my parent's house as it's not here.

janji Sun 06-Jan-13 23:33:48

£900 in 2000, but looking back would have been far more sensible to spend less on wedding and be more practical / cost conscious (still happily married and expense for one day not worth it in retrospect).

CointreauVersial Sun 06-Jan-13 23:18:54

Shocked at people paying upwards of £3K for a dress worn once.

I know, special day, and all that...... £3K??!

CointreauVersial Sun 06-Jan-13 23:14:21

£190 from Jigsaw, ten years ago.

I still wear it occasionally; it's a slinky number in maroon and pink crushed velvet.

Reaa Sun 06-Jan-13 23:11:02

£150 brand new from BHs, end of season and had "missing" pearls from the pattern which was not actually missing smile and my bridesmaid dress was £10 end of season with slight mark on the front which came out in the wash-my best bargains ever!

BadIdeaBear Sun 06-Jan-13 23:01:15

£35 inc p&p from ebay. From someone in Kent who bought two for choice...! Couldn't believe it fits almost perfectly although will have a few tweaks made.

jessjessjess Thu 03-Jan-13 23:43:00

Mine was £897 including alterations. The brand was Benjamin Roberts I think.

mistlethrush Thu 03-Jan-13 10:10:57

My mother and I made mine, I think I paid about £170 for the silk. I couldn't have bought one that I liked more

Beaverfeaver Thu 03-Jan-13 10:03:15

Mine was £800 in the sale reduced from £3000 and was a one off

DragonMamma Sat 29-Dec-12 23:46:46

£1250 for a Justin Alexander one which I sold for £750 a few weeks after. So technically £500 was the actual cost to me.

Notafoodbabyanymore Fri 28-Dec-12 07:00:16

Oh, sorry, it was 5 and a half years ago, btw.

Notafoodbabyanymore Fri 28-Dec-12 06:57:48

£400 ex display model. Maggie Sottero dress marked down from £1100 which was a total bargain. Even came with a gorgeous full length lace veil and free re-size. Loved it and felt like a million bucks in it, but would never have paid full price! (Stingy? Me? Never!)

Hendersaq Fri 28-Dec-12 05:47:19

About $300. You can try this http://www.magicweddingdress.com.

lynzie68 Mon 17-Dec-12 11:02:59

350ish this year, then paid 80 to have the whole horrible huge train etc cut off. So I had a 50s style dress (I loved the top section of the dress). I had pale blue and white petticoats added too.
I plan on wearing it again for a Vegas wedding when we eventually afford our honeymoon lol

£2500 blush

It was actually £3200 but I bought the shop sample

£30 in the sale at tesco, lovely ivory panne led dress, satin strapless fitted bust(panelled) and satin and lace panelled skirt, knee length. It was perfect and nobody who's seen the pictures (had no guests at the wedding) believed it was only £30 smile

Well, DP and I have been planning on getting married for a while, but then illness and redundancy got in the way. We're well back on our feet now, so hopefully I shall be doing some dress shopping soon-ish. I'd kinda love something like this, which is weird as it is so not my usual style (am very much a skinny jeans and Cons / Docs kind of woman), but I just love it.

My sister is getting married next year, she has recently ordered her dress. It will cost £8000, plus whatever alterations she might need. She had tried on a few dresses and they were all lovely, but when she put this one on it was perfect and she looked so stunning I may have burst into tears blush. So well worth it, in my opinion.

However, I also have a friend who spent $40 on her dress off of Ebay, and it was just gorgeous, and she too looked beautiful. Obviously, the more you can afford to spend, the easier it may be to find a dress that you love, but I do think it's more about finding the perfect dress for you, and one that you feel great in, than the £££s you spend.

xkcdfangirl Tue 23-Oct-12 19:13:24

I got a cream silk evening dress from M&S for £80, then spent a further £60 getting it slightly altered to fit me better. That was in the late 90s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now