To ask how much your wedding dress cost?

(327 Posts)
Ambrosius Tue 21-Aug-12 16:31:43

Because I can't find the bloomin' Weddings topic!
I'm getting married sometime next year and I have no idea how much anything costs.
So go on how much was yours? grin

Bingdweller Tue 21-Aug-12 17:08:26

Aaaah, Emma Roy, the place of absolute cowbag staff. I went for a browse and never went back, horrid staff.

The exact same dress cost £400 cheaper in another out of town shop.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 21-Aug-12 17:08:38

£300 four years ago from Debenhams I toured the boutiques and that was the one I wanted. My mum was proud of her thrifty child grin The matching veil was £30 and the bolero was another £30. No idea what to do with the dress now; it's hanging in my parents' wardrobe.

DottyWottyDooDah Tue 21-Aug-12 17:08:49

Had mine made to my own design by local dressmaker. £450.

uselfullife Tue 21-Aug-12 17:09:03

I had 2
One for the registry office was £45 from M & S bridal
One for the party was £80, hanging on a sale rale in Debenhams

ArtyJennie Tue 21-Aug-12 17:09:55

£1200 (2009) and that seemed like a pretty mid range price in the wedding dress shops I visited (s.london)

FoxtrotFoxtrotSierra Tue 21-Aug-12 17:10:16

£180 odd from Karen Millen, though it wasn't a traditional dress or ceremony.

We had planned a big circus do, but for many boring reasons cancelled it. I spent nearly £3,000 on a couture frock that I was bullied into blush and then didn't even wear it! It went to the charity shop soon after so I hope someone got a lovely dress for next to nothing.

Boobz Tue 21-Aug-12 17:11:54

£1100 in 2005. It was lovely but I really think I spent far too much on it. And everything else really. Wedding cost over £16k (plus honeymoon on top) and tbh, I think I could have spent a third of that and had just as an amazing wedding. But I was 26 and a bit of a bridezilla. If I could do it again, I would go to Vegas and just have family and close friends (we had over 120 people and some of them I still don't know who they were to this day when I look at the photos!)

Sorry, I digress.

takingthestairs Tue 21-Aug-12 17:12:35

The price of a small car blush

But I sold it after the wedding and got 1/3 of the price back.

Badvoc Tue 21-Aug-12 17:12:44

I spent £400 12 years ago which I still think thought was a lot!
It was lovely and I was very comfy in it all day and my cousin told me I looked like a model smile (she is notoriously short-sighted mind)
My couin was engaged to a girl at the time and she was telling me about the wedding dress she had just bought (wedding didnt happen in the end...long story...) and it was £2,500 shock
Some people pay £10 some people pay £10,000.
As long as you can afford it and it is in keeping with the rest of the wedding then it doesnt really matter...

cherrypieplum Tue 21-Aug-12 17:13:10

Mine was a £1000 Alfred Angelo in 2009.

I saw it in a magazine, eventually tracked it down and found it was out of my price range. After much searching for a cheaper alternative (it has straps) I'd almost given up but was made permanent in a job so my DH encouraged me to get it :D

recentlymoved Tue 21-Aug-12 17:13:12

Mine was 2700 inc. alterations. DH paid for it and it made me feel amazing, it was silk with beautiful hand embellishments and lace detailing. We did have quite a big do so a cheaper one wouldn't really have fit in.

takingthestairs Tue 21-Aug-12 17:14:12

Actually, closer to 50% now that I think about it, but still a ridiculous amount of money.
Saying that, I saved up and spent my own cash on it, so it was my money to waste blow.

plummie2003 Tue 21-Aug-12 17:14:18

I bought mine last week, it was £900 half price from £1800.. Would have settled for a cheaper one though had my parents not offered to foot the bill and insist I find the 'perfect' one.. X

lynniep Tue 21-Aug-12 17:14:35

£50 on ebay. Included a tiara and veil. I thought it was a total bargain having only been worn once before! New it would have been £800-£1000

MrsPresley Tue 21-Aug-12 17:15:19

Another one here that wouldnt recommend Emma Roy either angry

They almost ruined my DDs entire day because they couldnt put the payment through properly and ended up doing it 3 times. Of course it wouldnt be accepted then they told me, no payment no dress, 3 days before the weddding.

What a nightmare angry

EmmaNemms Tue 21-Aug-12 17:17:03

In 1988, £325 from Berkertex, cream lace number. Civil wedding November 2011, £80 or so on a burgundy velvet maxi dress in the East sale, 5.10pm on a Saturday afternoon in Dorchester, the worse place to shop in the entire South West. Three weeks later, for the blessing, around £3000, made by the most amazing lady ever. http://www.uptight-clothing.co.uk/ I felt the best that I have ever felt in my entire life, she is a genius. I feature on the real brides page too!

BlueMoon74 Tue 21-Aug-12 17:17:17

The one I really wanted (and was about to buy) was £1200....

then I fell pregnant grin and priorities shifted (considerably!)

The one I have cost £200. Will probs cost me another £100 or so in alterations. But it is a Maggie Sottero dress and originally cost £1100. Ebay bargain for moi! grin

I'd say, spend as much or as little as you want/can afford. Do bear in mind though, the second hand market isn't great - if you do sell your ££££ dress you will get a fraction of the cost back, and no retailer wants to buy your very ££££ dress either!

nickelcognito Tue 21-Aug-12 17:17:31

mine cost about £130-ish.

not quite sure cos i made it myself.

i based it loosely on a dress i'd seen elsewhere and bought a pattern for the skirt bit, £5 odd from ebay, but had to alterthat to match the bodice, which i drew myself.
the fabric was about £110, i think, again from ebay/online retailers, and notions and beads etc made it add up to just over £130.

dixiechick1975 Tue 21-Aug-12 17:18:08

Approx £75 from Monsoon.

Top was half price in the sale but I think I paid full price for the skirt. Ivory silk and not stapless.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 21-Aug-12 17:18:14

£40 from the outlet Monsoon shop in Portsmouth (2004). This was my second wedding dress, however, because I was pregnant and the first one that cost about £100 no longer fitted me by the time I got married. I loved my second dress more, and stupidly gave it to a charity shop. I would love to still have it just to look at it, silly as that sounds!

zukiecat Tue 21-Aug-12 17:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Groovee Tue 21-Aug-12 17:19:27

Mine was £900 but they discontinued it. So the owner of the shop whose DD I had at Brownies told my mum she would only charge £400 instead.

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 21-Aug-12 17:21:50

I didn't realise what a nerve I hit with the Emma Roy comment !

The girl helping me when I was selecting the dresses was nice as pie only to be replaced by evil cackling invoice witch once dress confirmed. I had to go for fittings during the week as they refused to do any at the weekend and were just generally unnecessarily unpleasant. I suppose the only reason they are still in business is because generally bridal gowns are a one off purchase and they have a good selection of frocks in a good location.

OP I would suggest that sourcing of dress also depends on figure. If you are a will'o'wisp type person then Monsoon has some lovely floaty numbers but if you need a bit more structure like myself then designer dresses with corsets and boning can be more flattering. Does not necessarily mean more expensive as they can be bought second hand through E-bay or I think Oxfam has wedding shops as well.

FoofyShmooffer Tue 21-Aug-12 17:22:02

My Parents paid £495 for my dress in 2000. Not including underskirts, tiara and long veil. The lot probably came to about £ 900 roughly.

It was from a wedding retailer and regarded as one of the cheapest in the shop. Probably due to the fact that bustier dresses had become the in thing so mine, plain with long sleeves, was not considered fashionable or sought after.

maras2 Tue 21-Aug-12 17:29:24

1975, in the sale at C&A ........ £6 50p. We are still together 37 years later.My dress is in our wardrobe next to his white,flared trousered suit.Neither of us has a cat in Hell's chance of ever fitting into them again but our kids and now DGC's use them for 'themed' or as I like to say 'saddo 70's parties'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now