Getting Married in Leicestershire

(47 Posts)

Hi I just wondered if anyone has been married in Leicestershire and can recommend a venue. I am looking to get married in 2014. I live in South Leicestershire. Ideally we need a venue with accomodation or accomodation nearby.We have roughly 80 guests for the day including children and 140 in total for the evening.

So far we have looked at Ullesthorpe Court, Shearsby Bath and Bosworth Hall. So any experiences of those venues would be great. Thank You.

sleepdodger Mon 06-Aug-12 11:28:37

Went to a great wedding at arnsbury where They had posh tepees (marquee but more unusual) next to a pond lAke was v nice
Caterers were stones

EdithWeston Mon 06-Aug-12 11:45:32

Either of you aquatic?

The church in the middle of Rutland Water?

As well as the reception venue in link, there's Normanton Park. It's many years since I was at a reception there, so cannot give up to date feedback.

Ooh thank you both.EdithWeston im just looking at the Rutland Site thats one i hadn't come across.It does look beautiful.

Anyone else? So far Ullesthorpe has come back the cheapest but im not sure. I didn't realise how hard this is. I spend most days looking for ideas online.

ViviPru Mon 06-Aug-12 15:21:54

There's a massive black hole as far as wedding venues in Leicestershire goes. I've really struggled to find somewhere too.

Haven't really got any suggestions for you as I wasn't that fussed about finding somewhere with accommodation.

My search was so fruitless, we've ended up creating a venue ourselves from scratch.

nagynolonger Mon 06-Aug-12 15:30:51

I have been to weddings in Quorn and Rothley (Rothley Court Hotel). Not in the south of the county but between Leicester and Loughborough.
Been for Christmas meal at Ullesthorpe and I didn't think it was very good.

lljkk Netherlands Mon 06-Aug-12 15:38:14

I dunno if it's too far for you, looks closer than Rutland, though.
Friend got married at Beaumanor hall 5 yrs ago & we thought it was lovely.

ViviPru Mon 06-Aug-12 15:44:05

They're in my manor, nagy grin

Ruled them out for being a bit stuffy and traditional for the kind of wedding we have in mind but I hear they're quite good if you're after a decent quality hotel wedding. There are two in Quorn, Quorn Country Hotel and Quorn Grange You can get married outside at Quorn grage which is a nice touch but their menus look dull as dishwater (as do most hotel wedding menus IMO)

ViviPru Mon 06-Aug-12 15:45:59

Ooh now you're almost right on my doorstep with Beaumanor lljkk. Its quite nice if you like the country manor house oak panelled rooms sweeping staircase thing and the grounds are lovely. No on-site accommodation though, you'd have to use Quorn or Loughborough hotels.

I loved Shearsby Bath but had family moaning about no accomodation. To be honest im not fussed if they have to travel to a hotel so be it. I always have when ive attended weddings.

We are near Lutterworth. I don't mind travelling further out. I have looked at Quorn Grange online and it doesn't really pull me. I'm glad to know its not just me being super fussy.

Any thoughts on Sketchley Grange. I've heard very mixed reviews on that also.

lljkk Netherlands Mon 06-Aug-12 16:22:34

Friend who married at Beaumanor had Punjabi(?) sword dancers (they were spectacular, Sikh-English wedding, plenty of Bollywood tunes), I don't think felt restricted by the milieu, as it were.

sleepdodger Mon 06-Aug-12 23:19:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Thank You ive booked a viewing at Sketchley Grange and ive looked at Brownsover on the internet. Brownsover does look lovely.

mumto2andnomore Tue 07-Aug-12 21:24:28

I went to the Hinckley island for a wedding last year which was really nice

memphis83 Wed 08-Aug-12 10:05:12

What about Kilworth House or we went to a wedding fair and I also have a friend who works at Hothorpe Hall in Theddingworth, the food there is amazing. The grounds are great and they have a woodlands walk. They also have a gorgeous onsite chapel if you wated to get married in there rather than one of the suites.

Ive looked at Kilworth its just too expensive. We have a realistic budget but we don't want to go too mad. I have two children from a previous relationship. I want a beautiful wedding and a day to remember but i don't want to go over the top when i have children as i don't want them to have to feel the pinch money wise just so i can have a nice wedding. Its so hard.

This wedding planning is giving me a headache. Nowhere wows me. Ive just had a look at Thomson Weddings abroad wink

PickleSarnie Thu 09-Aug-12 16:42:21

I got married at normanton church museum. Made for gorgeous photos! We only had about 30 people but I think they've changed the seating arrangements recently and will seat up to 100 people now.

I do really like Normanton. Im going to book a viewing.

Does anyone have any money saving tips at all.

Inyourhippyhat Thu 09-Aug-12 23:33:24
ViviPru Fri 10-Aug-12 11:04:44

We've stuck religiously to every top on that list (except #1) and the budget is still a shade under 14K confused

ViviPru Fri 10-Aug-12 11:04:58

tip* not top hmm

Wow ViviPru. I dont really want to get up to that amount.

Ive looked at abroad Malta its about 900 for the ceremony room etc. Then obviously you book a holiday/honeymoon. But DP says its too expensive for his family and that im being selfish as whats the point of getting married if no ones there hmmm i think he has completely different views on marriage to me.

Bue Fri 10-Aug-12 19:52:59

There is a party barn near Countesthorpe on the A426 (think it might be called Whetstone) but I have no idea what it's like.

If you're near Lutterworth you should look at Brownsover Hall Hotel or Rugby School. Stunning venues, both of them. (Think you can only have your reception at the school though, it's not licensed for civil weddings.) Normanton Church is amazing. I dream of that venue!

<waves to Vivi from last week's BYOB thread. Didn't know there were so many of us hipster bride types round these parts smile>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now