table names instead of numbers - nicer or naff?

(59 Posts)
stuffitunderthebed Sun 15-Jul-12 21:05:05

Just that really! Do we name the tables to a theme or places special to us etc or just leave as table 1, 2 etc? What did you do?

Tigerbomb Fri 18-Jan-13 20:34:34

The monsters theme was because we got married at Halloween

Tigerbomb Fri 18-Jan-13 20:34:03

We got married and I wanted to name our tables after famous monsters by DH vetoed it

We compromised on Terry Pratchett Disc world characters. I managed to sneak in Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg (witches), Rincewind (wizard) etc

Top table was Lord Vetinari which seemed apt

I think football related is good, maybe named after players/managers of the team(s) you support

redexpat Fri 18-Jan-13 19:19:47

We had different lego men. A friend had the west end shows that they had been to see together. I wasn't sure if she was implying something by putting me on the Sweney Todd: demon barber of fleet street table?

M0naLisa Wed 16-Jan-13 02:37:58

Do you know........
I can't even remember blush it's 7 years in December and I can't remember hmm

But I seem to remember something about Christmas. Could have been things to do with Christmas, like Angel, Christmas Tree, Bauble, Tinsel but I could be making it up :-/

Hmm I'm going to have to have a think about this. sad

MrsWembley Wed 09-Jan-13 19:41:47

I am soooo pinching this idea for our do when it actually happens.grin

BadIdeaBear Wed 09-Jan-13 12:00:02

Oooh *Hemlet, I love that, as a linguist! Oh dear, but I've already got too many ideas!

Hemlet Wed 09-Jan-13 11:23:02

We had "I love you" in different languages. Looked great all written down :-)

TheBrideofMucky Tue 08-Jan-13 15:49:21

We're having our children's favourite films with corresponding photographs. Particularly looking forward to putting one auntie on the "Monsters inc" table. grin

BadIdeaBear Mon 07-Jan-13 23:15:24

We're either going with musical symbols - (no names or numbers at all!), or with Edinburgh Fringe Festival locations (as we've gone together each year we've been together), and I'll have performed there the month before we get married.

Although I do really like the idea of finding something that suits people on the table - it does mean they have to be cohesive groups, hmmmm thinking

We used Dog names....top table was our Dog (Ralphie) then I used the Dogs we had grown up with. Family & friends we haven't seen for years were touched their pets were remembered. Although one of our guests apparently was a little confused why the table was named after something so random, his wife explained it's 'our dog, you soppy sod!'
Then he welled up.....awwwww!!!

Stiffybyng Sat 20-Oct-12 14:37:46

Cheers, roughtyping. grin

Minty82 Sat 20-Oct-12 11:09:48

We had pub names - our respective university locals, a couple each from where we grew up, our current one, and the one we met in. Friends who already had a toddler used the names of Dr Seuss books, and I've been to a few weddings with street names. I love the sweets idea!

roughtyping Sat 20-Oct-12 11:05:01

Sounds brilliant smile

Stiffybyng Sat 20-Oct-12 11:02:31

Indeed.

Thanks, Kiss! We had a lot of fun.

roughtyping Sat 20-Oct-12 11:01:11

A lovely horse..?

roughtyping Sat 20-Oct-12 11:00:23

Amazing grin!

ovenchips Sat 20-Oct-12 11:00:14

If I was the guest I wouldn't pay any mind if my table was a number or a name, a sentence or a title as long as there was a seat for me!

It's the type of thing that the bride/groom might get a kick out of but realistically won't be of note to the guests either way. Unless as Vivpru said you make the table names relevant to the guests, rather than you.

Stiffy: your wedding sounds awesome.

Stiffybyng Sat 20-Oct-12 10:50:59

Ha! No. Think priests.

roughtyping Sat 20-Oct-12 10:47:46

Stiffy - was it the boosh?

We are having different Caribbean islands. I wanted songs by my favourite singer but DP vetoed it.

Stiffybyng Sat 20-Oct-12 10:28:52

We had lines from a comedy programme. Only because we'd used a song lyric from it on the invitations (NOT Monty Python!) and we thought it would be amusing.

We enjoyed the blank confusion from people who'd never seen the programme as some of the quotes were rather surreal. We didn't really have an elegant wedding. We put stuff on the tables like fortune telling fish and those long balloons you blow up that go screeching around when you let them go.

perplexedpirate Sun 14-Oct-12 09:56:21

This will totally out me, but we had Hogwarts lesson; Herbology, Charms, Flying Lessons, Potions, Divination and I think Horcruxes. There was another but I can't remember it.
The table centres were themed too, ^so Herbology was a huge basket of herbs, Potions was different sized coloured bottles etc etc.
We got married on Halloween, so it all tied in.

Last wedding I went to, the tables had names related to marriage or similar themes - so 'love and kisses', 'diamonds and pearls', 'horse and carriage'... I like the idea of the sweeties though; I'd be scoffing them all, wandering from table to table, shoving handfuls into my pockets. smile

roughtyping Sun 14-Oct-12 09:50:52

My cousin and his wife had Scottish islands. My aunt didn't have set tables. My friends had their favourite movies. No idea what we'll do yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now