A "simple" (i.e. cheap) wedding with 150+ guests?! Is this possible?

(59 Posts)
threeleftfeet Fri 13-Jul-12 01:41:18

DP and I are getting married!

We're not into the whole white wedding thing, however we do want to have a celebration with our family and friends.

I've had a go at doing an initial list and I reckon it's at least 150 people (including 30 DCs).

We've got musician type friends so that bit of the wedding is sorted. I've seen type of the dress I want and it's about £250.

I'm guessing the biggest expense will be catering for everyone?

Is it possible to do a wedding for so many people without spending an absolute fortune. Has anyone got any tips? Perhaps on a venue with reasonable proces. We're definitely open to alternative suggestions!

How can you cater for so many people, nicely, without spending an arm and a leg?

TIS smile

MrsKwazii Sat 14-Jul-12 12:04:32

Do you have any old-build schools near you that hire out their dining hall/assembly rooms? They often have kitchens attached so you could perhaps have a local caterer provide food. Then you can also supply your own bar. Or have fish and chips delivered and hire an ice-cream van for puddings? Depends on the kind of wedding you want though really. Good luck with the planning and congratulations grin

MrsKwazii Sat 14-Jul-12 12:06:25

If you had it at a school, you could also perhaps find out if the kitchen staff would be willing to help on the day. If you can get a Costco or Macro card you could buy finger-buffet items in bulk and get the kitchen staff to prepare and lay it all out for you perhaps?

AngelsWithSilverWings Sat 14-Jul-12 12:26:33

The best and most enjoyable wedding I have ever been to was a really simple one.

Ceremony in church followed by reception in church hall.

The flowers - with permission and a very small payment ( £25 I think ) to a local farmer who had a field full of daffodils they collected enough to make bouquets and. To give one to each guest and decorate the church and hall.

The bride and bridesmaids wore daisy chains as head dresses.

The church hall was decorated with home made bunting.

Guests welcomed into church hall with a glass of pimms

Then everyone sat down to pots of tea and home made scones ( all made that morning by friends of the bride)and clotted cream. We had been told in advance what the plan was so we all made sure we had a full cooked breakfast late morning!

Evening buffet was prepared by loads of local friends who all brought something - the spread was amazing!

They also had musical friends who entertained us while we enjoyed the cream tea.

A folk band kept us dancing all night.

Very fond memories of that wedding and a lovely couple who made us feel very relaxed and welcome.

catinboots Sat 14-Jul-12 12:42:17

Ok. Ways we saved money:

Cheap booze from france

Friend made carrot cake for our dessert (as a gift to us)

Wedding cake made of cheese that was served in the evening so no extra buffet costs

Bridesmaids paid half for own dresses (all chose different styles they could re-wear)

Bridesmaids paid for own shoes

Got flowers from local farm and DM and DMIL arranged them for the tables/marquee the day before

Got church flower ladies to do church flowers

Table runners/scatter crystals/name tags/seating plan off Ebay

Didn't bother with favours. Just cheap crap that people leave behind.

Friends provided sound system and DJ'd for free

Cheap cars - local 'posh' cabs. Only went 5 mins round the corner and no one saw it anyway!

Hunted around to find a cheap photographer. Found an amazing one who was not a 'wedding photographer' as such - but took fab pics at a fraction of the price.

Ummm. I'll come back if I think of any more!

catinboots Sat 14-Jul-12 12:42:46

Oh and Prosecco instead of Champagne (I personally prefer it!)

MrsKwazii Sat 14-Jul-12 12:49:25

Yes, prosecco or cava can be just as nice as champagne at a fraction of the price. And if you make bucks fizz it goes even further (and counts as one of your five a day ;) )

threeleftfeet Sat 14-Jul-12 14:44:13

Ooh yes, definitely Cava or Prosecco! I love both smile

threeleftfeet Sat 14-Jul-12 14:45:30

Some good tips here, great food for thought thanks smile

Kavina Fri 03-Aug-12 14:00:59

I found this thread interesting as I too am planning a very tight budget wedding. I have most things sorted through friends and making things myself, plus finding a wedding dress for £40 on ebay! Haha!
I was wondering about asking the local colleges for photography students to cut costs on photo's, I'm happy to print them myself.
The only bit I'm struggling on is finding a venue to get married at and having the party at after (to cut down on travel costs.) I'm happy to cater but I've not seen a venue that holds the wedding but doesn't cater. Anybody know anything?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now