Strapless wedding dresses!

(20 Posts)
amandine07 Sat 23-Jun-12 11:49:09

Was having a big debate with my SIL to be, she is searching for her wedding dress and was bemoaning the lack of variety apart from the strapless style.

We were out last weekend looking & trying on, there really seems to be very little out there that is not strapless...she is considering getting a dressmaker to do it, who knows what the cost is though.

She sent me this DM link- apologies everyone- it is certainly a controversial issue!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2160015/Why-bridal-market-flooded-unflattering-strapless-gowns.html

Seona1973 Sat 23-Jun-12 11:55:33
amandine07 Sat 23-Jun-12 12:14:10

Ah thank you oops hadn't realised that it wasn't a link!

Bue Sat 23-Jun-12 17:51:35

I always hear about this problem but I didn't experience it when I was looking last year. I was in London though, at some reasonably high end / 'fashion forward' boutiques. They all reassured me straightaway that most of their dresses were in fact not strapless! I think in your average small town bridal shop there probably is less choice. Where is your SIL looking and what is her budget? Having something made is a great option if she can't find what she is looking for.

Showmethemhappyfeet Sun 24-Jun-12 12:25:37

when i was looking the shops all told me dont worry about them being straplesss, if you like the neck line we can put straps on. Might be worth a go?

CakeBump Sun 24-Jun-12 12:32:41

I didn't want strapless either, but got around the issue by having a little lacy bolero made to go with my dress - has she thought about that?

CakeBump Sun 24-Jun-12 12:34:46

this sort of thing...

emsyj Mon 25-Jun-12 18:58:58

I look awful in strapless (fat arms and a bony chest) so I had my dress made. It wasn't any more expensive than buying off the peg.

Non-strapless dresses are starting to become more popular, but I agree with Bue that it's the more up to date (expensive) boutiques that are keeping up with the trends - the cheaper end of the market that is less fashion forward will be strapless, polyester nightmares for a while longer yet I suspect.

LittlePicnic Wed 27-Jun-12 22:33:01

the brides magazine site and iphone app allows you to search my sleeve type/length- might that help?
I've found a strapless dress I like online that can come with capped sleeves. We're having a church wedding so i certainly want to be more covered up in the church, but I have broad shoulders and hate my arms so won't be going strapless.

amandine07 Thu 05-Jul-12 07:17:27

Thanks ladies, I have passed this on to my SIL- she lives outside London within commuting distance.

So it sounds like there is quite a bit of variety, she just needs to get hunting things down! Thanks for the links and ideas, she was feeling down about the dresses she had seen already, mainly strapless and she is so against wearing that style.

Between us, all the weddings we have been to over the years practically every bride has been in a strapless dress...which I find a bit sad.

Not knocking the brides' choices, but if I was getting married I'd definnitely be looking for a different style.

mirai Thu 05-Jul-12 14:57:54

Totally agree, it's not just the wedding dresses but have you tried finding non-strapless bridesmaid dresses on the high street (not Dessy etc)? Absolutely bloody impossible!! angry

SkiBumMum Thu 05-Jul-12 15:02:20

It's hard isn't. I had spaghetti straps and my DSis had Lacey cap sleeves made from her train (we both had trains chopped off and all net taken out!). DSIL had a bolero jacket so there are options.

polarbex Thu 05-Jul-12 21:02:41

I have no boobs so a strapless obviously isn't any good, and the only dresses I have found with straps are floaty earthy type dresses. There is definitely a gap in the market!

bockele Tue 31-Jul-12 10:07:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NoComet Tue 31-Jul-12 10:20:13

Last wedding I went to the bride had a very nice halter neck into a tasteful V neck.

Tasteful gathers from the waist over the breasts and into widish straps.

Sorry no link because she got it from her local shop in the Cotswolds.

bockele Wed 08-Aug-12 08:39:14

It all depend on where you would find!

Passmethecrisps Wed 08-Aug-12 08:53:56

I was so worried about wedding dress shopping I immediately approached a dress designer. In the end I had a beautiful, bespoke dress for a price comparable with dress shops. Little things made the difference too - a wee flower for my hair made from the same material, advice on demand about underwear, jewellery etc. it was a fantastic experience.

My initial spec to her was 'not strapless'

LittlePicnic Wed 08-Aug-12 20:02:33

Passmethecrisps- could you message me with the dress designer's details?

louwn Sun 19-Aug-12 22:07:34

I've just started looking for my dress (I'm in Sheffield btw not the south) and have found quite a few non strapless ones - they bore me too. Every bride looks the same. Also hate the slightly shiny polyestery fabric that lots seem to have! I'm looking for a boat necked lace style and there were several to try on. Much more glamourous than strapless in my opinion!!

itsjustmeanon Sun 16-Sep-12 17:21:55

I got a price from a dress maker, and for the simple dress I wanted it was £450. This was two years ago.

I didn't want strapless, and I also wanted the straps to be part of the dress, not just added on to a strapless dress, as many bridal shops suggested. I found the v neck dress I wanted, with the straps part of the dress, at a small and affordable bridal shop.

I was concerned that I might get a dress made, and then not like it. A dress maker was last resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now