ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Please tell me about lovely alternative wedding dress

(77 Posts)
threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 19:51:23

Possibly getting a little ahead of myself as DP only proposed yesterday!

But hey, I enjoy thinking about frocks grin

I'd like to get married in something colourful, def not white or a traditional wedding dress style. Not sure what yet.

Can anyone tell me about nice alternative wedding dresses you've seen / worn?

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 22:52:20

Some of them are lovely RachelWalsh, I bet you looked stunning!

Not quite what I'm looking for though, I'm a bit more hippyish I guess!

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 22:53:27

How about Vivienne Westwood or Alice Temperley.
Sorry about the link to Vivienne Westwood - I am trying to find one which has a dress which is perfect for the bigger busomed! These might give you an idea.

emsyj Sun 06-May-12 22:56:00

I was about to say Temperley - also check out the non-wedding styles from Jenny Packham.

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 22:57:49

Hmmm, hippyish...
How about (if we're going high end) Jenny Packham and, although these are bridal you can steal ideas, Claire Pettibone.

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 22:58:27

Ooooh, emsyj, great minds must think alike! grin

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:00:40

Thanks babysaurus and emsyj smile

I absolutely love the dress that Vivienne Westwood is wearing herself in the Mirror article!

I'd get married in that in a flash if it looked good on me.

I'll have a look at the others now.

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:03:50

The Westwood dresses are amazing on too! Pull you in in and push you up in all the right places! They have corkers in Selfridges (think emerald green or deep scarlet) but I can't find them on the websites, which is odd. You can also, if you got the urge, wedding it up if you wanted!

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:04:10

erm, sorry for the overuse of exclamation marks...

!

emsyj Sun 06-May-12 23:06:15

OOh yes Claire Pettibone, good suggestion!!! grin She does one (or used to, might be discontinued now) called 'Lalique' that has coloured flowers on it. Beautiful, and very unusual.

lalique

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:07:32

The Claire Pettibone ones are stunning, would suit my plans if they could be adapted to be a bit less weddingy maybe.

I like the gold one in the video best.

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:08:39

The Lalique one is pretty - but it looks like a wedding dress fo me. I'm keen to have something which doesn't look at all like a wedding dress.

(Difficult aren't I?!)

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:09:03

"erm, sorry for the overuse of exclamation marks... "

No worries, I share this affliction!

rubyrubyruby Sun 06-May-12 23:10:05

I loved my wedding dress smile

...... sorry - just reminiscing.

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:11:14

So that dress that Westwood is wearing herself, would that be one of hers? I assumed it'd be something unique that us mere mortals wouldn't be able to buy?!

I'm enjoying this btw smile

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:11:57

grin rubyrubyruby

emsyj Sun 06-May-12 23:12:07

I had my wedding dress made by Joanne Fleming in Brighton - she will design and make anything and also does evening wear and uses lots of colours. Worth a look. www.joanneflemingdesign.com

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:12:59

They are utterly amazing in the flesh too. They cost an arm and a leg, but (ssh!) you can always adapt and design your own (if you get my drift) if you need to. Also, simple shapes but with amazing fabrics can be just as stunning.

Whereabouts are you? Blackburn Bridal stock some of her designs so you could go for a try on / mess about. Also, I suggest trying all manner of styles and designs as a lot of people find that they go for something they would never have initially considered. Even though it's a wedding dress shop, they can work around making the dresses less weddingy if needs be.

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:16:53

Ooooh, emsyj, those dresses are lovely! Especially the longer one's. Swoon

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:17:42

threeleftfeet yes, the dress Vivienne Westwood is wearing is a one off. Sorry!

rubyrubyruby Sun 06-May-12 23:19:05

I had this in red

www.newyorkdress.com/Tony_Bowls/TBE11051.html

emsyj Sun 06-May-12 23:19:44

I used to live about 200 yards from Blackburn Bridal!!! They have some very high end stuff in there, worth a visit just to be 101% sure that you don't want a 'wedding' dress...?

threeleftfeet Sun 06-May-12 23:20:24

Does anyone know where I would find more unusual stuff like that I wonder? Probably smaller independent designers I imagine? (But where are they?!)

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:23:21

like what , for example? like the Joanne Fleming dresses?

babysaurus Sun 06-May-12 23:24:43

ps I agree, do go and try wedding styles on just to make sure.The amount of people who hate wedding dresses with a passion and then decide the opposite is staggering! After all, you don't have to buy one and it makes sense to make sure you really really REALLY don't want one!

emsyj Sun 06-May-12 23:25:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now