Page boy kilts

(38 Posts)
Julia3000 Sun 19-Dec-10 19:00:52

Hi I'm a newbie- so I hope doing this right!
Anyway- my son has been asked by my sister to be a pageboy at her wedding. The problem is that his outfit was to include a kilt. He was really excited when we took him to try on an oufit at the shop, but he found it really itchy. He suffers from excema, and although not that bad, he can't really wear wool, or wool like material, next to his skin. I should have thought about it and just asked if was OK to wear smart trousers- my sister would have been fine about it. He's now disapointed, but I don't think anyone does "non itchy" kilts really. Anyone know where I can hire one?

StephanieLady Thu 28-Mar-13 01:50:23

Well, I'm certainly glad I googled this issue! My son's have to wear kilts for a family wedding and my younger son has had a TERRIBLE time with the wool!

I've found some underskirts online, but they don't seem that cheap. I think I'll try the flesh toned nylon tights first, since they're much more affordable. Plus no one will really notice with the socks overtop.

Girdle Thu 09-Feb-12 14:04:16

WHY?

Girdle Wed 08-Feb-12 15:16:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

MyNameIsWendy Wed 22-Dec-10 12:25:04

I'm sure he'll look great!

Don't forget to make sure you take loads of pictures to show his future wife!

MyNameIsWendy Wed 22-Dec-10 12:25:04

I'm sure he'll look great!

Don't forget to make sure you take loads of pictures to show his future wife!

Julia3000 Wed 22-Dec-10 11:02:30

I've bitten the bullet and ordered an underskirt for him from the link above. It's not cheap, but it will be useful for his sister when he's finished with it (I don't imagine he'll get a lot of wear out of it!).

I've tracked down the socks FunkingCart suggested- so I think he's sorted!

Thank you for your help.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 19:57:30

I was more thinking of a waist slip.
I've just had a go at making one- not very successful. I thought it would be dead simple- I think the cotton I have (an old sheet) is too heavy. I tried a straight style, but it ended up restricting his walking. I tried adding a back split- but that didn't really work. I tied again, this time making it flared, but it sort of stood out too much!
He wasn't keen on keep trying on the "skirts" I was making him- wat a disaster!
Maybe I should resort to the one in the link afterall!

MyNameIsWendy Tue 21-Dec-10 19:06:58

If you can't be bothered to make one- this company sells underskirts especially for excema sufferers (girls, of course).
www.eczemaclothing.com/Department/Eczema-+Children /Underwear/C03++Underskirt.htm
I'm sure this would fit the bill perfectly- and doesn't appear to have any lace at the hem.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 16:42:14

Oops! How did I do that?

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 16:09:23

If I can get some girls scottish dancing cotton socks, as funkingcart says, and I make him a slip- I won't need the tights.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 16:09:23

If I can get some girls scottish dancing cotton socks, as funkingcart says, and I make him a slip- I won't need the tights.

TinselInDisgrace Tue 21-Dec-10 14:54:03

you might be able to find some flesh-ish coloured cotton tights somewhere. Depending on how pale his skin is, you may get away with a creamy colour. There will only be a tiny bit of knee on show.

funkingcart Tue 21-Dec-10 14:53:59

Julia - i pm'd you

If you look at the inbox at the top of the page it will have a wee red star and be yellow to show a new message

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 14:49:55

I was thinking more of flesh colored nyon tights so they're not seen- As TinselInDisgrace says- there would only be a couple of inches on display- so wouldn't notice at all.

TinselInDisgrace Tue 21-Dec-10 14:37:07

you could get 100% cotton tights.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 14:36:15

I'm not sure if tights would iritate his skin or not- they're cheap enough to give it a try.

I think I'll be making him a slip- I'm not sure straightish or flared will be better- I'll need to experiment.

"If you PM me"- I'm a newbie- what's PM?
I'll have a look for cotton scottish dancing socks on the net- do only girls wear cotton ones (not that it matters much)?

Thanks all.

BilboBloggins Tue 21-Dec-10 12:08:27

Can you hire tartan trews instead? He can still wear the Prince Charlie jacket etc, but the trews would be lined.

funkingcart Tue 21-Dec-10 12:06:07

Ok first the kilt....

If I was you I'd make a slip and get him to wear that with some boxers. No one will know. And it is the LAW that boys under 18 are allowed to wear underwear with their kilts. That's what we told my DS's at my brother's wedding 15 years ago!

The socks....

When's the wedding? If you PM me, there's a shop local to here does "bobble socks" for scottish dancing - the girls wear them, they look at bit like the proper woolen socks but they're cotton. I could pick up a pair if you tell me the size and stick them in the post.

TinselInDisgrace Tue 21-Dec-10 12:05:36

Just tell him that it's normal to wear a cotton slip under a kilt. No one will know and I'm sure he won't notice that no one else is wearing one. Other options could include wearing flesh coloured tights with the socks and kilt on top (you'd hardly see the tights, given how little space there'll be between the bottom of the kilt and the top of the socks, or wearing 3/4 length leggings rather than cycling shorts.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 11:59:52

Your right- but I think kilts always look so smart and I doubt he's going to get many oportunities to wear one.
I'll solve this yet!

MyNameIsWendy Tue 21-Dec-10 09:59:14

Couldn't you rent a tux instead? He'd still be dressed up in "special clothes"?
It'd be so much easier!

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 09:32:32

I'd missed this- he didn't try on the socks. I guess I'll need to find some thick cotton socks as well.
Trousers would have been so much easier!

MyNameIsWendy Tue 21-Dec-10 09:18:36

I take it you've found thick cotton socks to replace the wolly ones normally worn?

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 07:53:08

schroeder- did ds wear a pettycoat with his kilt? How did that go down with him?
(I'm a newbie- I'm guessing "ds" is darling or dear son- am I right?).
I'm not sure if he'd go for a petticoat? I guess if as "MyNameIsWendy" suggests, it is an inch or too shorter- no-one wouls see it.
I don't want to suggest it and find it's put him off wearing the kilt altogether.

(Your right about m&s not doing them, schroeder. My daughter doesn't own one either- girls don't seem to wear them anymore- I wonder why? I think I could manage making one though- it's just a tube with a bit of elastic.)

schroeder Mon 20-Dec-10 20:30:22

He needs a pettycoat although you may have to make it yourself even m&s don't seem to do them anymore.

ds had to wear one a few years ago and it didn't seem to bother his excema, but it was very heavy apparently. Maybe he could change into something trendy in the evening if he is going and you've somewhere to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now