Page boy kilts

(38 Posts)
Julia3000 Sun 19-Dec-10 19:00:52

Hi I'm a newbie- so I hope doing this right!
Anyway- my son has been asked by my sister to be a pageboy at her wedding. The problem is that his outfit was to include a kilt. He was really excited when we took him to try on an oufit at the shop, but he found it really itchy. He suffers from excema, and although not that bad, he can't really wear wool, or wool like material, next to his skin. I should have thought about it and just asked if was OK to wear smart trousers- my sister would have been fine about it. He's now disapointed, but I don't think anyone does "non itchy" kilts really. Anyone know where I can hire one?

funkingcart Tue 21-Dec-10 14:53:59

Julia - i pm'd you

If you look at the inbox at the top of the page it will have a wee red star and be yellow to show a new message

TinselInDisgrace Tue 21-Dec-10 14:54:03

you might be able to find some flesh-ish coloured cotton tights somewhere. Depending on how pale his skin is, you may get away with a creamy colour. There will only be a tiny bit of knee on show.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 16:09:23

If I can get some girls scottish dancing cotton socks, as funkingcart says, and I make him a slip- I won't need the tights.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 16:09:23

If I can get some girls scottish dancing cotton socks, as funkingcart says, and I make him a slip- I won't need the tights.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 16:42:14

Oops! How did I do that?

MyNameIsWendy Tue 21-Dec-10 19:06:58

If you can't be bothered to make one- this company sells underskirts especially for excema sufferers (girls, of course).
www.eczemaclothing.com/Department/Eczema-+Children /Underwear/C03++Underskirt.htm
I'm sure this would fit the bill perfectly- and doesn't appear to have any lace at the hem.

Julia3000 Tue 21-Dec-10 19:57:30

I was more thinking of a waist slip.
I've just had a go at making one- not very successful. I thought it would be dead simple- I think the cotton I have (an old sheet) is too heavy. I tried a straight style, but it ended up restricting his walking. I tried adding a back split- but that didn't really work. I tied again, this time making it flared, but it sort of stood out too much!
He wasn't keen on keep trying on the "skirts" I was making him- wat a disaster!
Maybe I should resort to the one in the link afterall!

Julia3000 Wed 22-Dec-10 11:02:30

I've bitten the bullet and ordered an underskirt for him from the link above. It's not cheap, but it will be useful for his sister when he's finished with it (I don't imagine he'll get a lot of wear out of it!).

I've tracked down the socks FunkingCart suggested- so I think he's sorted!

Thank you for your help.

MyNameIsWendy Wed 22-Dec-10 12:25:04

I'm sure he'll look great!

Don't forget to make sure you take loads of pictures to show his future wife!

MyNameIsWendy Wed 22-Dec-10 12:25:04

I'm sure he'll look great!

Don't forget to make sure you take loads of pictures to show his future wife!

Girdle Wed 08-Feb-12 15:16:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Girdle Thu 09-Feb-12 14:04:16

WHY?

StephanieLady Thu 28-Mar-13 01:50:23

Well, I'm certainly glad I googled this issue! My son's have to wear kilts for a family wedding and my younger son has had a TERRIBLE time with the wool!

I've found some underskirts online, but they don't seem that cheap. I think I'll try the flesh toned nylon tights first, since they're much more affordable. Plus no one will really notice with the socks overtop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now