Thunderstorms for tonight and Friday .

(73 Posts)

sorry, in a mad rush
met office warnings

frequent lightning, flash flooding and hail all possible. From this evening into tomorrow.
more later.

torro convective discussion

GloriaSmud Thu 15-Sep-16 16:23:11

Lightningmap just in case of storms.
'Tis a warm 26C here at the moment (Leicester)

OhNoNotMyBaby Thu 15-Sep-16 16:49:40

Obviously I wouldn't want any floods or damage but I have to say I love a good storm! Haven't had one here (southern eng) for a long, long time.

AlmaMartyr Thu 15-Sep-16 17:04:16

Ooh, haven't had a storm in forever (Dartmoor).

Meant to be camping tomorrow night in Littlehampton - will storms have passed by then?

Katkincake Thu 15-Sep-16 18:22:27

Some seriously heavy rain possible in the SE tomorrow - similair amounts to those seen in Cornwall and the NW this week. Hard to pinpoint where and when. Frontal rain converging with thunderstorms.

icyfront Thu 15-Sep-16 20:02:43

Thanks, Kitten and Gloria. I was getting a tad excited earlier, looking the rainfall and lightning, but it seems that as usual it'll all be passing by me. Again. (southern Hampshire)

Interesting to see how the rain/lightning seemed to suddenly appear to the west of London, though.

RustyBear Thu 15-Sep-16 20:07:29

Usually the thunderstorms pass us by in Wokingham, but this one hit about 5.45, just as I was about to leave work. Massive hail, flash floods and a tree struck and blocking the Reading Road.

icyfront Thu 15-Sep-16 20:36:15

Doesn't sound too good, RustyBear. Hope you got home OK.

Rain now here, and some rumbles of thunder.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 15-Sep-16 20:40:40

Short, heavy downpour here about half an hour (Hants/Surrey border), but no thunder yet.

GloriaSmud Thu 15-Sep-16 21:13:00

A humid 19.6C here at the moment. After having the windows open this week, must remember to close them tonight just in case of rain/storms!

oh wow RB, that sounds quite dramatic.
A nice storm brewing round Winchester way.

Very surreal round here. Very warm, with a blood red full moon a little while ago. An owl was flying back and forth squawking then a flash of lightning.

AlmaMartyr Thu 15-Sep-16 21:24:45

Thanks Katkincake! We're thinking we might abandon camping and book a Premier Inn instead (other factors too not just the possibility of rain!).

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 15-Sep-16 21:30:18

Thunder rumbling away in the distance now

alltouchedout Thu 15-Sep-16 21:30:52

It was ridiculous here in Manchester on Tuesday, I hope it's not as bad for anywhere affected this time round.

megletthesecond Thu 15-Sep-16 21:42:25

oybbk the moon was stunning tonight. 8yo dd looked out and said it was "...Jupiter mummy!...".

Think we've got a storm starting to rumble. (North Hampshire).

alltouched, sorry I wasn't able to forecast for Tuesday.

Amber warnings out now

lol at Jupiter grin

icyfront Thu 15-Sep-16 21:54:52

Kitten - the storm around Winchester way didn't amount to much. Well, yet. There might be more to come, looking at the MetO rainfall radar.

No, that was an advance guard!

Those Amber warnings are rather worrying. 100mm totals possible in 3-4 hours.

icyfront Thu 15-Sep-16 22:05:05

meglet - love your dd's "Jupiter". She's looking and attempting to do that identifying thing. That's wonderful.

Katkincake Thu 15-Sep-16 22:07:24

Some flooding in Newbury this eve. Huge rainfall totals possible tomorrow, just very uncertain

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Thu 15-Sep-16 23:31:32

Incredibly loud rain, thunder and lightening here in Surrey....

ChampagneCommunist Thu 15-Sep-16 23:33:13

Where are you Beachys? Just had a massive lightning strike in SW Surrey

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-16 23:36:17

I'm in Surrey too (NE)... flashes and bangs just slowing down.

BastardGoDarkly Thu 15-Sep-16 23:57:12

My dog's acting very strange here in East Anglia, think he knows something's afoot hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now