Slow moving heavy showers this week

(112 Posts)

Just a heads up, especially for those that have been lulled into a sense of summer. After today there looks to be lots of heavy slow moving showers likely. Some of them could be come quite thundery/haily by nature. I think tht wednesday/thursday look like the peak wet days and I wouldnt be surprised to seem some localised high rainfall values pretty much anywhere but perhaps with a focus on the NW and east Wales/west England.

digerd Wed 21-May-14 15:41:11

SE.
Dry here too today. Cloudier and a little cooler but still 20 degrees out atm. We could do with more rain,< in the night> but no more stormy winds please. Hundreds of more rose buds to open yet on my climbing rose arches.

GloriaSmud Wed 21-May-14 21:15:46

Some cracking storms look like they're going on over France at the moment. There seems to be some debate on a few weather messageboards as to whether there are going to be proper storms tonight or whether it'll just be heavy rain. Our rain is due to start at 1am ish and we're under the yellow warning so we'll see.

I have no feel for whether the system will hold together as it comes over here.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 21-May-14 22:59:24

the storms seem to have gone from SW to NE across france this evening, there have been a few skirting our coast but nothing over here that I have seen at least.

BlackeyedSusan Wed 21-May-14 23:01:30

there have been storms over the ukrain earlier and now therre are some big ones over indiana/ohio

I was about to post that we didn't get the forecast rain last night but actually we had almost 9mm since midnight. Very little evidence this morning, damp paths but lots of sunshine.

Late afternoon/evening there is potential for some decent storms, esp I think in the midlands but pretty much anywhere in England.

GloriaSmud Thu 22-May-14 09:24:09

We've had lots of rain too ~ 13.2mm in the last 24hrs. It's still humid so hoping for a thunderstorm or two later!

trikken Thu 22-May-14 11:18:20

Lots of rain in dorset from about midnight, dry but cloudy for the school run and think its a bit rainy again now but not pouring.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 22-May-14 11:25:48

it rained last night. I have a soggy bum. I left the window open on the hire car. I am gutted but exceptionally relieved that the damn thing was not stolen.

trikken Thu 22-May-14 12:04:55

H

trikken Thu 22-May-14 12:05:41

Its absolutely hammering down now though.

Any reports from the IOW? Interesting looking cell there.

Meglet Fri 23-May-14 12:54:44

OYBBK you said the half term might be a bit soggy, is there any sign of this weather shifting in the second half of the week or next weekend?

No, sorry Meglet, it looks to carry on the theme into next weekend.

AlpacaLypse Fri 23-May-14 13:12:49

Hi OYBBK

Not IOW, sorry (you need MrsDavidCaruso, the Penguin Bollard Queen, for that location!)

I can tell you that it's been raining, sometimes light, sometimes heavy, all day so far in NE Wilts and showing no sign of stopping.

So should we hang fire on the vague plan involving tents and a friend's field near Bridport next Tuesday-Friday?

Meglet Fri 23-May-14 14:46:43

<<mentally crosses out outdoor plans for the end of half term week>>

GloriaSmud Fri 23-May-14 20:15:01

Looking at the weather forecast, I'm not surprised to see this weather warning in place for tomorrow.

Oh dear, DS2 is at his first 3 night cub camp under canvas this weekend.

Dd is camping tomorrow night grin

I wouldn't cancel plans for next week yet, I think there is still potential for an improving forecast.

AlpacaLypse Fri 23-May-14 23:08:42

Ok I'll leave it open!

<worships ground OYBBK walks on, once again!>

GloriaSmud Sat 24-May-14 08:24:01

Oh dear, poor campers. I couldn't help thinking of this trailer!

Oh please don't do that Alpaca! Will keep you updated though smile
It does still look unsettled through the week, maybe easing off a little mid week. Tomorrow is lovely though, hooray for tomorrow!

grin Gloria!

paddingtonbear1 Sat 24-May-14 11:17:52

OYBBK - any idea yet what it might be like the first week of June?
We're going to Wales that week (dd has 2 weeks off for half term), and could do without it being too wet.. we're not camping, but are hoping to do some cycling and hill walking!

At the moment I'm afraid it looks really unsettled paddington sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now