Flood water contaminated by sewage.

(9 Posts)
endofanera Fri 14-Feb-14 20:51:35

Our village, along the nailbourne is facing serious floods. The situation is so desperate that diluted Sewage is being pumped directly into the already over flowing river to ease the pressure on the " at busting point" sewege pipes. The village next to ours is so bad it has a red cross comand centre. Sand bags are been handed by the local council. Everyone is doing all the can to protect the village along the Nalbourne and Stour from further flooding. The pictures you see are the entrance to the village. The worrying thing is the water is contaminted with sewage.

Joules68 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:53:49

At work there has been a surge in the sales of rat killing devices/poison. Think some might be evicted sewer rats. Awful situation!

Awful sad it's all really awful. I don't know if you'll find the WHO guidance on contaminated flood water reassuring. Hopefully a little.

PoorOldCat Sat 15-Feb-14 13:11:34

Hi, we are a few miles from you. I am so sorry you are going through this - we have friends in the area too who will have been in some trouble last night I think.

Are you in L or B?

endofanera Sat 15-Feb-14 21:17:40

Thankyou OhYouBadBadKitten I am hoping the authoritys will let us kno if drinking water is contaminated. PoorOldCat we are in B. Just been on village website and the army are now on standby. They, at the moment are helping in the city near us. Its really heartwarming the way the council, community etc are working so hard to avert the floods. Last night the ford breached into the high street but they are trying to divert the flow to minimise the impact on homes. Some folk have had to move out sad. I hope you guys are not too badly affected?

there is guidance on the public health England website.Sorry I can't link on my phone a Google should bring it up

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/EmergencyResponse/ExtremeWeatherEventsAndNaturalDisasters/EffectsOfFlooding/

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 08:47:02

That sounds awful. Our friends are nearby in B. Lane. We are fine, on a hill...garden is a swamp even so but still. Feel very lucky.

How are you doing today?

JadedAngel Sun 16-Feb-14 08:50:53

What an awful situation. Hoping for a dry week ahead x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now