Weather warnings part 2 - will they fade away, or is bad weather set to remain?

(986 Posts)

new thread. other one full.

Excellent just what I ordered wink

mummylin Mon 13-Jan-14 15:10:15

Just had a hail storm here in Dorset

digerd Mon 13-Jan-14 15:17:46

It rained yet again at 2pm just as I took dog for pm walkconfused.
Now it's brightened up.

Marne Mon 13-Jan-14 15:53:51

We had the hail storm, luckily I was in my car, have had some heavy showers today but have managed to avoid them up until school pick up time, even managed to walk the dog for an hour in between showers, looks like another wet week and no signs of snow or anything remotely wintery in Dorset.

youarewinning Mon 13-Jan-14 22:47:27

Hail on and off most of day here with sunshine in between!

South Hampshire

dingit Tue 14-Jan-14 10:21:56

A lovely sunny mild day in Surrey, and spring seems to be springing in my garden smile

Daffodils are about 2 inches up in the pots in the bag garden! shock

It's colder here today, but no frost over night, it was raining at 7 this morning.

digerd Tue 14-Jan-14 12:05:05

0 degrees last night and a clear sky this morning. A pool of rain on my paper recycling bin lid was frozen solid and lay in large broken pieces by the refuse collectors at 8.30 this morning. Been sunny all morning with a cloudless sky.
SE.

Meglet Tue 14-Jan-14 21:15:03

I just remembered there were some caterpillars eating my home grown spinach last week. I hadn't been eating the last of it but it was nice to see it still growing in the pot, then I realised it was getting holes in and on closer inspection it was a caterpillar restaurant. In January!!

Very slippy on foot this morning.

digerd Wed 15-Jan-14 07:18:48

Clouded over during the night and temperature rose to 8 degrees from 2.
SE. Suspect neighbour's early blooming Rhododenrun may bloom this month as has done so before but not for the last few years.
My Wallflowers look expectant for February.

There hasnt been a huge amount to say (which is quite nice in a way!). Maybe some transient snow especially down the west coast as far as Lincolnshire on tuesday morning and some widerspread snow on wednesday morning for Yorkshire and further north through Scotland. Its a little tricky as night time temps may start to end up at the right sort of temp for snow next week but the day time temps look too warm for most, so generally a messy affair rather than winter wonderland.

Towards the end of Jan the dreaded winter gales are modelled as making a reappearance - mild very wet and windy.

GloriaSmud Wed 15-Jan-14 10:13:57

Over on met-monkey, they're weeping over the weather charts at the lack of snow. They're pinning their hopes though on the cold over Europe pushing our way, together with some SSW that's being forecast towards the end of the month. All this mild and miserable drizzle is just not winter ~ I'm half expecting our frogs and frog spawn to make an early appearance in the pond if this weather carries on!

I think they are grasping at straws Gloria grin

tbh, I kind of wouldnt mind declaring winter over and moving on to spring now. I feel ready for it!

magimedi Wed 15-Jan-14 11:31:52

Spring is not far off, OYBBK - birds are now singing morning & evening, daffs poking up & only about 6 weeks till March.

And it's getting lighter every day!

Ever the optomist, me!

schilke Wed 15-Jan-14 11:33:09

I feel cheated though. Hardly had a winter. A handful of frosts and that's it. I like dark evenings!

Marne Wed 15-Jan-14 11:47:06

Although I do love snow it would be rather nice to miss it out and skip to spring smile.

Very warm here in dorset today, it has just started raining but doesn't feel like winter at all, yesterday was a bit of a shock with our first heavy frost but it didn't last long.

6 weeks til March - that is splendid smile though I must remember to make the most of life in between!

GloriaSmud Wed 15-Jan-14 14:41:09

I think they are too, OYBBK!
The metoffice have updated their forecasts for the next week or two:

UK Outlook for Monday 20 Jan 2014 to Wednesday 29 Jan 2014:
Remaining changeable at first, with bright or sunny spells and showers. The far northeast may see some persistent rain, still with a risk of gales, while towards the southeast it may be mainly dry. By the middle of the week, a change to more unsettled conditions is expected with bands of rain spreading eastwards interspersed with clearer, more showery spells. There is a risk of hill snow in the north and perhaps also to lower levels at times. It will become windier for all areas, especially in the north and west, with a risk of gales. Temperatures will be near or slightly below average with overnight frost and patchy fog likely in the clearer spells.

and

UK Outlook for Thursday 30 Jan 2014 to Thursday 13 Feb 2014:
Current indications point towards changeable conditions persisting through the end of January and into early February. The most likely scenario during this period would see northwestern parts of the UK affected by the most frequent bouts of unsettled and windy weather. Meanwhile southern and eastern regions should tend to see the most prolonged spells of drier and brighter conditions. Some periods of colder weather are likely, particularly between weather systems, meaning that temperatures overall may well be near or a little below normal.

Updated: 1212 on Wed 15 Jan 2014

So that's one straw the folks at met-monkey can grasp on to for the moment!

digerd Wed 15-Jan-14 16:41:55

In the dance hall this morning so didn't notice the weather. Got a shock at Gp's yesterday as gained 10 lbs over the 2 week break but the ladies at the dancing couldn't see it and I'm only 5'2" confused.

Walked dog in drizzle at 2.20pm and came back in the pouring rain. Our walks have been very short recently and not the most pleasantsad
We had 11 degrees today so very mild. SE

mummylin Thu 16-Jan-14 12:17:31

Huge outbursts of rain here in Dorset and Jenny spells in between, it's very strange today

mummylin Thu 16-Jan-14 12:17:55

Jenny = sunny !

shallweshop Thu 16-Jan-14 12:22:26

Just wondering what a Jenny spell was ...

I am on the Hampshire/Dorset border so v near you.

digerd Thu 16-Jan-14 12:59:39

Dry so far today and 'fair'. 10 degrees atm. Skies cleared about 9.30 this morning. SE

digerd Thu 16-Jan-14 17:50:29

It certainly turned chillier in the afternoon caused by a chilly wind that came from nowhere?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now