Travel disruption thread for Monday's storm.

(78 Posts)
OhYouWickedWickedWitch Sat 26-Oct-13 17:16:51

A thread not for 'will it be stormy here' questions which can go in here but for specific travel updates.

To get the ball rolling:

Greater Anglia trains are allowing Monday ticket holders to travel tomorrow.

good luck!

tribpot Mon 28-Oct-13 17:02:59

We've decided to drive most of the way down tonight. Hmm.

ihatethecold Mon 28-Oct-13 15:01:47

East coast is terminating before London tribpot.
Have a look on twitter. There's lots of updates on there.

tribpot Mon 28-Oct-13 14:41:33

Trying to see if a friend can get down to London from Leeds today, can't see any way in by train (he can't drive down cos he has to fly out to somewhere else from there on Wednesday). I have to go down by train tomorrow morning, really not looking forward to that confused

I think the trains really really struggled with the number of downed trees on the line.

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Mon 28-Oct-13 11:18:42

Have given up trying to load journey planner and am walking to station to see what is what.

No trains expected to run on the east coast mainline south of Peterborough today.

East coast advising not to travel not much good when you already on the bloody train My train now terminating at Peterborough due to the power line problems outside kings cross.

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Mon 28-Oct-13 08:18:25

So far all trains before 1000 on the SWT emergency timetable on my line have been canceled.

On my slow east coast train to London and they've just announced that the overhead power lines are down at kings cross and trains are at a standstill in the area.

Kernowgal Mon 28-Oct-13 07:04:29

Morning all!

Highways agency info here

I'm waiting to hear from work as to whether we can go in. Normally start at 7.30 but their phone message hasn't been updated yet and they say it'll be updated before 9am for staff. So am confused about whether I should be attempting to travel in or not! Waste of bloody time if they've shut the garden (which is highly likely).

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Mon 28-Oct-13 00:19:00

Good luck all and night night!

fanny, I am a bit concerned about that. Maybe people will stay at home to stay safe.

thanks Gloria! grin

GloriaSmud Sun 27-Oct-13 21:28:32

Nice webcam from the seafront at Dawlish (where the trains run along the seafront ~ see it is travel related!) here, (have to get past the annoying advert first) and it has sound, so can listen to the wind etc. The wind has got up in the last 1/2 hour but the trains are still running ~ just seen two pass each other.

FannyMcNally Sun 27-Oct-13 21:26:52

Do people think that the main routes into London by car will be congested tomorrow morning because of the rail cancellations? DP travels into London by commuter coach and is debating whether to not bother if it's going to take 4+ hours.

thank you smile

dd has kidnapped the tv currently!

GloriaSmud Sun 27-Oct-13 21:17:02

Info from East Midlands trains here.

I've got News24 on and they're doing a lot on the weather and possible disruption.

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 21:12:47

SWT amended timetable up, looks reasonable on my line but subject to alteration of course.

MadCap Sun 27-Oct-13 21:09:18

Old Severn Crossing now closed.

any more updates from people?

HelloBoys Sun 27-Oct-13 19:17:31

Southern not running trains until after 9am and then very disjointed service.

My colleague lives in Raynes Park works Wimbledon so can walk it in 20-30 minutes and gets bus usually.

I however get 2 trains from Gipsy Hill and change Clapham Junction.

Guess who is being the stroppy mare and telling me it won't be so bad?! Yes, colleague.

I'd rather they cancel the trains now instead of wasting people's time in the morning!

TheDoctrineOfAnyFucker Sun 27-Oct-13 18:49:25

Thanks OYBBK.

Doctrine. You might be able to get in in the afternoon - maybe. I guess it depends on how quickly they can clear up any downed trees.

BasicFish Sun 27-Oct-13 18:45:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now