Possible severe gales on Monday 28th.

(955 Posts)
OhYouWickedWickedWitch Wed 23-Oct-13 14:10:38

I'm keeping a pretty close eye on developments for Monday. some of the models (in particular gfs) are showing a deep low developing over England, with the majority of the gfs runs taking the worst of the wind over the south.

Massive if. But if the weather were to pan out as those models are suggesting it would be a damaging storm, especially given the trees still being in leaf. I'd keep an eye on the met office early warnings page and if they start warning about it then it would be a good weekend to tidy the garden before you lose your stuff wink

I'll update as things become clearer.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:17:19

goodbye - if they are travelling on tuesday the storm will be gone and it will be any leftover disruption that they have to contend with.

what about the Cardiff/Bristol - London trains please? They get disrupted at the slightest hint of weather of any kind, so I'm presuming Monday wouldn't be a good day to travel from Bath to Surrey by train?

I am in north herts, should I dismantle the trampoline and put away all of dd's garden toys?

also dh is suppose to land at heathrow on Tuesday late morning, let's hope there won't be too much delays

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:18:33

I would like a chainsaw. Would beat my rusty old bow saw any day. Worried we would cut our legs off though - dh and I are a bit of a diy disaster!

MrsJohnDeere Fri 25-Oct-13 19:19:46

Dh needs to drive from London to the Midlands for Monday morning. He normally would go late on Sunday evening. Would this make sense or would he be better going earlier on Sunday? When do you think it will hit this part of the world?

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:20:35

Just to remind everyone - I'm only an amateur grin

if you need an accurate answer then check out the met office page. I don't want you hating me if I get something wrong, nor do I want you basing life or death situations on what I say!

QuintsHollow Fri 25-Oct-13 19:21:52

We have moved our reservation to another weekend.
Bournemouth for a long weekend just did not seem such a good idea. Not with travelling home on Monday.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:21:53

MrsjD. I would aim to complete travel by midnight on Sunday.
Bear in mind that Sunday in itself is going to be pretty blowy!

Babie - I would do that.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:22:41

aww Quints. Glad you could do that. I hope its not too disappointing.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:23:19

ok guys <sniffs armpit> I'm going for a bath. Updates later smile

Nailvarnishaholic Fri 25-Oct-13 19:26:18

OhYou, I have to travel Sunday and Monday. Will it be ok - tracelling Manchester-Leeds on Sunday and Sheffield-York on Monday by train?
I vaguely remember the 87 storm. I hope it's not like that!

SpookyTeacakes Fri 25-Oct-13 19:28:51

I have a febrile convulsion during the great storm of '87 and the ambulance broke down...

MrsJohnDeere Fri 25-Oct-13 19:37:22

Thank you flowers

Brittany Ferries has cancelled sailings on Sunday night to France and Spain out of Plymouth.

GloriaSmud Fri 25-Oct-13 19:42:54

(Still on holiday in a static caravan in Devon) Not surprisingly, this was the lead story on the local news at 6 30.

My brother is flying into East Midlands Airport late Sunday into Monday. I hope/think he's prepared for some disruption (thanks digerd for the tale of your bumpy Heathrow landing this morning!)

OYWWW - Lol at your e-mail. I'll be sure to take down my bunting when I get home tomorrow!

digerd Fri 25-Oct-13 19:47:54

MegB
I live not far away from Harlow. What time do you have to leave home?
I can report how it is on MN on Monday at 6am - that's if I have no power cut.

BlackberrySeason Fri 25-Oct-13 19:48:53

Have a visitor stating this weekend from foreign parts who was doing a bus your on Sunday - really hoping they can still go sad

digerd Fri 25-Oct-13 19:58:12

Gloria
The moral of the story was to have faith in the expertise of the pilots and not worry yourself sick like we didsmile.

My poor mum is flying to us from Spain tomorrow - she was hoping to be able to visit family by train on Monday. It's lovely and hot where she lives smile

I remember in '87 having to go out and collect the washing off of our crazily spinning dryer. And finding a pair of jeans that didn't belong to us.

Oh fook.

I have just started a new job (well actually its a training thingy)

Monday will be day 3.

My commute takes me across the hills and is tree lined all the way....

Am in the east midlands....sounds as though my journey could potentially be littered with fallen trees? ??

AnyaKnowIt Fri 25-Oct-13 20:11:45

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:16:17
Anya. I'm a bit concerned for you with the gfs run. At current track you might be looking at even higher wind speeds (90mph????) I would stock up and hope it moves.

shock

Twighlightsparkle Fri 25-Oct-13 20:14:23

I am hoping that the weather people err on the side of caution after they messed up in '87.

I suppose meteorology is more advanced now right enough.

The north of Scotland often get severe gales, not such a big deal is made!

youarewinning Fri 25-Oct-13 20:22:27

OYWWW Do you think a 10 minute travel down the M27 would be a good idea on Monday? DS wants to go to Beauliea to motor museum. He has SN and doesn't cope with change (suspected ASD) so if it really would be stooopid to consider it I'll cancel (rearrange) now to save a bigger meltdown on the actual day. grin

LostInWales Fri 25-Oct-13 20:22:58

<Battens down chickens/ducks/dogs and footballing children> glad I didn't see your TORRO update until we were back from football, the black scudding clouds were ominous enough without looking for tornadoes! I think tomorrow will be spent finally securing the side pass roof after promising myself I'd do it for months. (West Wales coast here) Thank goodness the only half term plans I had were to stay home and keep warm.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 20:23:01

interesting chart!

Twilight - Our trees are southern softies - not used to high winds. They come down much more easily. Our houses are not designed for severe gales. Our roads clog up if a motorbike falls over as the traffic density is so high. We just aint built for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now