Possible severe gales on Monday 28th.

(955 Posts)
OhYouWickedWickedWitch Wed 23-Oct-13 14:10:38

I'm keeping a pretty close eye on developments for Monday. some of the models (in particular gfs) are showing a deep low developing over England, with the majority of the gfs runs taking the worst of the wind over the south.

Massive if. But if the weather were to pan out as those models are suggesting it would be a damaging storm, especially given the trees still being in leaf. I'd keep an eye on the met office early warnings page and if they start warning about it then it would be a good weekend to tidy the garden before you lose your stuff wink

I'll update as things become clearer.

digerd Fri 25-Oct-13 17:47:42

Is WNW for the SE too?

QuintsHollow Fri 25-Oct-13 18:05:21

Please help me, should we still drive to Bournemouth tonight????

LisaMed Fri 25-Oct-13 18:14:45

rant

I finally get ds to go further than 80 miles away from the house to the sodding Doctor Who Experience, bearing in mind ds doesn't like to go further than the end of the street, and we are taking a fucking train from Leeds to fucking Cardiff on Monday right into the fucking storm. We have been planning this for nearly a whole fucking year. Why this weekend? I have already paid for the fucking train tickets and the sodding hotel. I can't lose the money!

Thank you, rant over. And breathe.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 18:37:42

another tornado watch - for tonight here

<groans>

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 18:40:04

Lisa - what time are you travelling?

Just going to look at the latest models and updates.

AnyaKnowIt Fri 25-Oct-13 18:44:20

Channel isles have been issued with a warning by jersey met office

youarewinning Fri 25-Oct-13 18:46:09

Oh quint I live near Southampton and have told DS we'll do Beaulieu on Monday if weather bad as indoors grin

QuintsHollow Fri 25-Oct-13 18:49:31

Quite conserned about the drive back and forth, debris, etc

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 18:54:18

Latest GFS model (which is just one model and has been producing some pretty varying results over the last few model runs) is of the 'oh shit' variety.

The low is delayed a few hours and produces gusts of up to 80mph over densely populated areas of the south in daylight hours.

Let's hope its wrong. Even for me its getting a bit too exciting. It does look like there will be a storm - but the intensity and path are still to be defined. Worst case=damaging storm. Best case=gales and some localised flooding.

MegBusset Fri 25-Oct-13 18:56:12

I'm supposed to be going to Essex (Harlow) on Monday to take some (outdoor) photos. Is it likely to be horrid there?

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 18:57:06

Received a funny but caring email from a company that supplies flags and bunting. Hope they don't mind me reposting.
" The Met Office forecaste has warned residents in Cornwall, southern Devon and along the south coast to expect winds exceeding 80mph at times, starting early on Monday morning and continuing for up to 24 hours.

In other areas of the UK, winds may still be the strongest we’ve had in 26 years, so we strongly advise you to take down all your flags, banners, bunting or any other display products that are likely to catch the wind, or you might damage or even lose them all together, and please:
Please take care on Monday 28th October!"

So don't forget your bunting grin

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 18:58:17

Meg - if the current forecast doesnt change then a) it will be terribly rainy b)it will be hard to keep the camera still and c)depending on what you photograph you may be better of with a video as it sails away.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 18:58:47

Quint, let me catch up with your posts.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:00:05

You are fine heading there quint. Are you supposed to be travelling back on Monday? Bournemouth is in the firing line and I would be prepared to cancel travel plans on Monday.

LEMisafucker Fri 25-Oct-13 19:02:09

Im in Kent, by the sea - should I be worried?

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Fri 25-Oct-13 19:04:48

Dorset here, surrounded by oaks...

captainbarnacle Fri 25-Oct-13 19:09:20

sad supposed to be going by hovercraft to take 3 small people to see Chris and Pui at 9am Monday! Have warned them that is unlikely to happen now sad

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:09:49

LEM - I would be prepared.

Of course the worst of the storm could track out through the channel. We just don't know yet. I don't want anyone going away with the impression that I'm saying that there will be a damaging storm on Monday. I'm not, I'm saying that the models are currently generally pointing that way.

condor ferries are cancelling services Sunday and Monday in anticipation.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:11:10

sad captainbarnacle.

There are going to be so many half term plans cancelled or disrupted.

I personally wouldnt cancel things yet, I'd wait until Sunday as I always veer on the side of forecasts can be wrong. But be prepared.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Fri 25-Oct-13 19:14:09

My parents are due to travel to Heathrow from Hampshire to fly out to us on Tuesday. Does it look like flights will be delayed and will it be safe for them to drive to the airport?

Stay safe over there.

kiriwAnyFuckerwa Fri 25-Oct-13 19:14:30

ooh LEM we're neighbours smile
I'm taking the net off the trampoline, flipping it over and putting all the garden furniture on the mat. I'm bringing what I can inside and hoping the fence doesn't blow down on the car

quoteunquote Fri 25-Oct-13 19:15:01

there is this grin

and I get to play with my chainsaw.

but I did take down a load of scaffolding today, and have been strapping all the sites down.

CatAmongThePigeons Fri 25-Oct-13 19:15:24

I'm south Devon, the gloriously inaccurate BBC weather said it should miss us, but theres a tree out the back that is gradually dying. I hope it doesn't fall in the winds forecast, it'll be right over my bed.

OhYouWickedWickedWitch Fri 25-Oct-13 19:16:17

Anya. I'm a bit concerned for you with the gfs run. At current track you might be looking at even higher wind speeds (90mph????) I would stock up and hope it moves.

StillSlightlyCrumpled Fri 25-Oct-13 19:16:26

I can remember the storm all those years ago as a 14 year old watching our shed fly into next doors garden. I went to tell my Dad (middle of the night), he thought I was exaggerating! He soon ate his words grin.

I'm really not good with extreme weather conditions of any kind, thankfully have very easy to cancel plans for Monday.

Hope it doesn't come to so much for the sake of all those travelling / moving house etc on Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now